Battle On Bago cancelled

• Advertisement

HB Store

tgreeno
500 Club

Re: Battle On Bago cancelled

Unread postby tgreeno » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:15 am

Years ago the ice shoves took out my parents boat house and almost their house! Luckily they are on the east shore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 am

tgreeno wrote:Years ago the ice shoves took out my parents boat house and almost their house! Luckily they are on the east shore.

Like a monster coming ashore. :o

https://youtu.be/Pf5pWz7uRt4
Findian
500 Club

Unread postby Findian » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:22 pm

Nice, maybe tomorrow I'll take pic and show what Lake Superior creates.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:26 am

Ice shoves causing all kinds of problems. City is trying to save the Yacht Club in Fondy. Going to check it out for myself later today.

tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:57 am

Dewey wrote:
tgreeno wrote:Years ago the ice shoves took out my parents boat house and almost their house! Luckily they are on the east shore.

Like a monster coming ashore. :o

https://youtu.be/Pf5pWz7uRt4

I've been in my parents house watching it move across the yard. Scary ! The power is incredible!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:10 am

Just drove around the entire lake and it's pretty obvious the ice fishing season is done out there unless you want to risk your life walking close to shore. There is open water within a 1/4 mile circling just about the entire lake. The whole sheet has been moving around the last few days shifting with the wind. Big ice shoves from Blackwolf around to Fondy Lakeside Park to the Yacht Club. They had the heavy equipment out to dig out and save the Yacht Club and the Lighthouse.

Fishermans Road on east side.

West Side Highway 45 Wayside.

Up on the north end there was a lot of open water by High Cliff but didn't take pics. Basically the entire sheet moved south to Fondy Thursday night and opened the entire north end.

Time to get the boat ready guys. :o
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Just think about how many lives they saved by canceling it.

I guarantee people would've died yesterday and probably more today
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:22 am

Lakeside West by the marsh. Open water from river channel by the park all the way to west shore.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 pm

The bob tent was packed both nights. I have a feeling that they did pretty well considering the circumstances. It was a good time
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Thr silver lining with all this bad ice is the fishing pressure has been basically eliminated here. The way the lake has been hammered in recent years a little balance from mother nature will be a good thing. There are so many tournaments here through the year and surprised the lake has stayed as productive as it has. Lady Bago can use a break every once in awhile.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:07 am

Dewey wrote:Thr silver lining with all this bad ice is the fishing pressure has been basically eliminated here. The way the lake has been hammered in recent years a little balance from mother nature will be a good thing. There are so many tournaments here through the year and surprised the lake has stayed as productive as it has. Lady Bago can use a break every once in awhile.

I personally don't think you could ever put a dent in the fish population out on bago. Just like everywhere else, there are cycles of good spawns and bad spawns. Best example is fox lake. They will have one or two great spawns, and then in about 5 years will become the easiest fishing in the state. In 2 years it will be dead again. In the next couple of years they will have another huge spawn class.

The only dent people put in the population out in that system is the spring run. Even then, for how good fishing is every year out there, they aren't doing much damage. Look at the whitebass. Guys keep them by the boat load all spring and I could easily go out and fill a bucket every weekend this year with huge bass.

Plus, 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman. Not worried one bit about one of the greatest fisheries in the country being fished out. Sure they will have bad cycles of spawning, but fishing will still be decent at worst.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:36 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:Thr silver lining with all this bad ice is the fishing pressure has been basically eliminated here. The way the lake has been hammered in recent years a little balance from mother nature will be a good thing. There are so many tournaments here through the year and surprised the lake has stayed as productive as it has. Lady Bago can use a break every once in awhile.

I personally don't think you could ever put a dent in the fish population out on bago. Just like everywhere else, there are cycles of good spawns and bad spawns. Best example is fox lake. They will have one or two great spawns, and then in about 5 years will become the easiest fishing in the state. In 2 years it will be dead again. In the next couple of years they will have another huge spawn class.

The only dent people put in the population out in that system is the spring run. Even then, for how good fishing is every year out there, they aren't doing much damage. Look at the whitebass. Guys keep them by the boat load all spring and I could easily go out and fill a bucket every weekend this year with huge bass.

Plus, 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the fisherman. Not worried one bit about one of the greatest fisheries in the country being fished out. Sure they will have bad cycles of spawning, but fishing will still be decent at worst.

I don't doubt what you say at all but like I said a little balance from ma nature is always a good thing. If a few more walleye survive to spawn this spring that is always a good thing.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:51 am

Jonny wrote:

100% agree john
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:14 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I don't doubt what you say at all but like I said a little balance from ma nature is always a good thing. If a few more walleye survive to spawn this spring that is always a good thing.

I wish they would have a size limit for the spring. Only keep fish under 18" or something. If you want to see something, go drive by the winneconne bridge when the walleyes are going back down river. Guys on the bridge will get a limit in 30 minutes easily. Then the next guy in line gets the spot and does the same thing. It's scary how many fish they pull out of the system there. And lots of big spawned out females as well.

But in the end, Mother Nature will always balance things out. Bad things happen when you try to disrupt nature. Nature took out the wolves in Wisconsin. Now we brought them back and look where we are now. Mother Nature brings ehd and cwd to balance out the deer herd. It sucks but that's the way life is

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”