Akara Palm Rod

• Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Akara Palm Rod

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:49 am

Anybody use these?

I bought one to mess around with. Very cheap and should work well on those real finicky panfish.

Check them out.

http://akarafishing.com/winter-rods

https://youtu.be/ESJrAgZVFKs

Jeff G
500 Club

Re: Akara Palm Rod

Unread postby Jeff G » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:23 pm

that would be fun for the little kids in the boat when they see a ton of small gills.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 pm

Can't see why they wouldn't work. Would be nice on really windy days when you sit over the hole
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:35 am

I bought the Grizzly Pre-Rigged and it was delivered yesterday. I always felt that regular ice rods were overkill for panfish unless you are in real deep water. Many times for real light biters I just held the line between my thumb and index finger when jigging.

All set up and ready to fish right out of the package. The sensitivity and balance is amazing the way it's set up with the spring bobber and matched weight tungsten jig. Hoping to give it a try this weekend.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:02 am

Dewey wrote:I bought the Grizzly Pre-Rigged and it was delivered yesterday. I always felt that regular ice rods were overkill for panfish unless you are in real deep water. Many times for real light biters I just held the line between my thumb and index finger when jigging.

All set up and ready to fish right out of the package. The sensitivity and balance is amazing the way it's set up with the spring bobber and matched weight tungsten jig. Hoping to give it a try this weekend.

:think: I would skip this if it were me. Don't get the hype of tungsten
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:15 am

Jonny wrote:
Dewey wrote:I bought the Grizzly Pre-Rigged and it was delivered yesterday. I always felt that regular ice rods were overkill for panfish unless you are in real deep water. Many times for real light biters I just held the line between my thumb and index finger when jigging.

I started using tungsten 6-7 years ago way before the hype and found it far superior to regular lead jigs. The ability to downsize yet still have some jigging weight there was huge during tough bite days.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:26 am

Dewey wrote:
Jonny wrote:

I started using tungsten 6-7 years ago way before the hype and found it far superior to regular lead jigs. The ability to downsize yet still have some jigging weight there was huge during tough bite days.

Just sinks too fast for me. I am more a presentation type guy. Make it look too good to resist :L:

Hot dog jigs, rockers and moon glitters with either red or purple plastic. 98% that's all I need. The other 2% of the time is different colors of plastic. Orange, blue, bubble gum, black.

I also rarely fish panfish deeper than 10-12' of water. If I do, its fox lake, and I will use a 1/64 oz jig head with a plastic wedge on it. Looks like a minnow.

Whatever puts fish on the ice, is all that matters
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for sharing Dewey.

I was always intrigued by these too for finicky fish and like you said cheap.

I can't believe the guy uses 3/4's pound test, the lowest I knew of before this was one pound.

I was on Bago last weekend and would worry with too light line since the ice chips from the auger are pretty sharp.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”