Inline reel question.

• Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Inline reel question.

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:52 pm

I recently purchased a Black Betty inline reel and inline reels are becoming the new big thing now in ice fishing. Its a slid built reel. These reels are also supposed to reduce line twisting which causes your jig to spin erratically while its suspended.

I guess the fish hate it and Im beginning to wonder if thats why Im not having alot of luck hooking on alot of hungry fish.

I spooled some 2 lb. test line on it when I bought it. Used a few times already and I think my line is already twisted. I will drop my jig into the hole to see how the presentation looks before I drop it down toward the fish and notice that indeed my jig is spinning all over the place. But Im not sure if the twist works itself out when I drop it deeper.

I noticed something though. I will get fish to fly right up to my jig. Im excited knowing there is a good chance they are gonna slam it, but they won't take it.

They kinda look at it and eventually drop back down. I have caught several fish with this new combo but coulda caught many more if the many of those fish wouldn't sit there and stare at my jig. I change up colors and all that but still get the same results. Could my jig be spinning? Is there a trick to spool line onto these inline reels to avoid line twist??? Or is it something else?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Inline reel question.

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Put on a super small barrel swivel. That will help tremendously. I have one on every rod I own except my shallow water inline rods.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm

I don't do much ice fishing but I've chased them quite a bit. There is obviously a presentation thing that's missing. What kind of line do you use? Mono, braid, florocarbon? This could make a huge difference depending on water clairity. I love the cast ability of braid but 5ft of florocarbon will be on the end. The small swivel will get the spin out but keep a big leader on it so they don't see it.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:32 pm

I like the swivel idea.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:51 pm

Buckshot20 wrote:I don't do much ice fishing but I've chased them quite a bit. There is obviously a presentation thing that's missing. What kind of line do you use? Mono, braid, florocarbon? This could make a huge difference depending on water clairity. I love the cast ability of braid but 5ft of florocarbon will be on the end. The small swivel will get the spin out but keep a big leader on it so they don't see it.

Not sure, Im using Trilene ice line on this reel. Is that mono? On my other rig I use flourocarbon line and seems like I have had better luck on that combo, and its the cheapest set up I own. lol So maybe its the line???
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:06 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:
Buckshot20 wrote:I don't do much ice fishing but I've chased them quite a bit. There is obviously a presentation thing that's missing. What kind of line do you use? Mono, braid, florocarbon? This could make a huge difference depending on water clairity. I love the cast ability of braid but 5ft of florocarbon will be on the end. The small swivel will get the spin out but keep a big leader on it so they don't see it.

Not sure, Im using Trilene ice line on this reel. Is that mono? On my other rig I use flourocarbon line and seems like I have had better luck on that combo, and its the cheapest set up I own. lol So maybe its the line???

Looks like the micro ice is mono. You wouldn't think it would be visible in the sizes you are using but florocarbon is the clearest. I just use florocarbon leaders because mono or braid cast way better. I put it together with a uni-uni knot or an Alberto. The swivel will work too if your bait is still spinning.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:20 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:

I use trilene ice line. It is twisted right out of the box. Take off about 50' of line and pull it through your fingers tightly and pull the twists out. And then use a barrel swivel with either a flouro leader or a leader of the same micro ice. I don't buy the whole clear line thing. Out fished many people in my life using yellow stren and green micro ice line. Heck on poygan I use 8lb line and catch fish. Then again, 98% of ice fishing is how you present the bait, and being confident in your technique.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:49 am

Florocarbon will give you the best results for clear water situations. Also, make sure you are rolling the line onto the spool and not letting the line come off the spool in coils. I use a pencil through the spool and have my wife hold the line with some tension on it, that way there is no twist, which should take care of the spinning.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 am

Wetfoot wrote:Florocarbon will give you the best results for clear water situations. Also, make sure you are rolling the line onto the spool and not letting the line come off the spool in coils. I use a pencil through the spool and have my wife hold the line with some tension on it, that way there is no twist, which should take care of the spinning.

Nailed it. Except micro ice is the exception. Once you take the sticker off holding the line to the spool, I swear it explodes and becomes a birds nest instantly. Love the line but the amount of work to get it on a reel makes me miss my old gold stren line.

Ultimate set up is a good braid with a flouro leader. Never have to respool your reel. Downside is braid freezes up when its below 40 out
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:19 am

How long should a leader be? Im looking into trying the swivel/leader idea.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:34 am

Crazinamatese wrote:How long should a leader be? Im looking into trying the swivel/leader idea.

Min 3'. Keep the swivel out of sight. I like 4-5'. Ice fishing for me is throwing fish in the cooler and I'm usually using bigger lines but the same principles should apply I would imagine.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:39 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:How long should a leader be? Im looking into trying the swivel/leader idea.

Ice fishing I usually do about 18" and if using spoons I tie into a fast snap. Small jigs then I tie direct. Just have an extra spool of line with you. Open water I start off at about 2.5-3' and as I break off in snags it gets shorter. At about a foot I start a new one. My dad and I have been doing this for probably 10 years with the same spool of fluorocarbon

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”