Live from the Ice 2016/2017

• Advertisement

HB Store

Jonny
500 Club

Live from the Ice 2016/2017

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:21 am

Well since the only thing I love more than bow hunting is ice fishing, I figured I would start this for everybody else who loves to be out on the ice. For me, I will usually take a first ice trip to La Crosse. After that I will be out on poygan chasing some walleyes and crappies. Might as well give some pictures from last year on the ice

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Re: Live from the Ice 2016/2017

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:23 am

Dang you had some good days. I'm hoping to get out a bit too this winter. I've been checking a small lake by my house and people have already been venturing out.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:07 am

A couple of inches of ice on some local lakes already. Should get some more ice in the next week or so with these single digit and sub-zero temps. Been seeing a few brave ones out there already. I usually wait until I see trucks or ATVs buzzing around on the hard water before I go out.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 am

I love that white bass, crappie and walleye bite on the Winnebago chain. The Battle on Bago tournament is something I look forward to every year. I bought a new vexilar sonar this fall- can't wait!

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:19 am

It wont be long now. I know guys planning on heading out this weekend.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:24 am

I fish the bago system religiously!!! most of the time you will find me on poygan!! hit me up when your out there! ill swing by and chat!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:45 am

matt1336 wrote:I love that white bass, crappie and walleye bite on the Winnebago chain. The Battle on Bago tournament is something I look forward to every year. I bought a new vexilar sonar this fall- can't wait!

Honestly I have a hard time going anywhere else to fish. Once you have one good day on poygan you are hooked. The picture with all the whitebass was almost 250 fish for 4 guys and I don't think we had more than 10 fish total before noon. I have yet to do the battle on bago but I'm pretty sure a large majority of the big walleyes came out of poygan for the tournament last year.

BigHunt wrote:I fish the bago system religiously!!! most of the time you will find me on poygan!! hit me up when your out there! ill swing by and chat!

That would be awesome. My dad and I are out there every saturday once there is enough ice for an atv. Plus its always a blast having more guys out there, makes it easier to find the fish.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:29 am

^^^yup. I'll pm you guys.
It's tough for me not to justify driving 45 minutes for the bago type of fishing. I live in West Bend and there is
Nothing in this area that can touch the the bago system.
You're right about the battle on bago tournament. I can believe there are still an abundance of white bass still in the system. Our group of 8 guys caught over 500 fish that weekend with 90% of them being whitebass. Then think of how many are caught throughout the rest of the year- in spring and summer and winter. It's nuts. When there's a year that the shad aren't thick- then the walleyes will really take a beating. I've heard that there are plenty of baitfish in the system this year- so they might have another good growing year.

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:56 am

matt1336 wrote:^^^yup. I'll pm you guys.
It's tough for me not to justify driving 45 minutes for the bago type of fishing. I live in West Bend and there is
Nothing in this area that can touch the the bago system.
You're right about the battle on bago tournament. I can believe there are still an abundance of white bass still in the system. Our group of 8 guys caught over 500 fish that weekend with 90% of them being whitebass. Then think of how many are caught throughout the rest of the year- in spring and summer and winter. It's nuts. When there's a year that the shad aren't thick- then the walleyes will really take a beating. I've heard that there are plenty of baitfish in the system this year- so they might have another good growing year.

I drive an hour and a half one way every saturday to fish there. But I make sure to fish dark to dark and sometimes an hour or two after if I am getting them. I gave up on keeping whitebass simply because I don't eat enough fish to keep that many. The system is crazy for producing fish, but the majority of the people out there don't move and don't catch fish. Only a small portion really fish it well and do well out there. You find these guys on the west end of the lake. Walleyes were tough last year, the year before it was easy to catch a limit of walleyes. Caught bigger fish though last year. The one picture of me and the two crappies, the walleye was only 17". I think the crappies were a hair under 15".
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:51 am

Awesome. I think I'm gonna start on butte des mortes. We did well there last year. I'll keep you guys posted

Joe68
500 Club
Facebook: Don't believe in facebook

Unread postby Joe68 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Can't wait for Saginaw bay to freeze up. It's getting close. The wind needs to stop blowing so bad. I'm ready for some walleye action.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:31 pm

Sounds like 4" of ice on the deep lakes and 6-7" on the shallow lakes around here as of a couple days ago. Wheelers and small permanent houses are out already. With these temps I'm betting we'll be driving trucks out this weekend. Suppose to be a low of -28 Saturday night :shock:
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Where in MN are you located Lockdown? I've been calling the local bait shops by me in Mankato and I haven't heard more than 4" even on the smaller lakes. I went to a small lake two days ago and there was only 2". It's crazy how much it can vary!

rutjunkie

Unread postby rutjunkie » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 am

I fish the east shore of bago most of the time. Plan on heading to poygan a few times as well. Can't wait for the battle, always a good time. Got lucky last yr and won a grizzly cooler.

There is only so many Novembers in ones life, make the most of them.
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Jonny wrote:
matt1336 wrote:I love that white bass, crappie and walleye bite on the Winnebago chain. The Battle on Bago tournament is something I look forward to every year. I bought a new vexilar sonar this fall- can't wait!

Honestly I have a hard time going anywhere else to fish. Once you have one good day on poygan you are hooked. The picture with all the whitebass was almost 250 fish for 4 guys and I don't think we had more than 10 fish total before noon. I have yet to do the battle on bago but I'm pretty sure a large majority of the big walleyes came out of poygan for the tournament last year.

BigHunt wrote:I fish the bago system religiously!!! most of the time you will find me on poygan!! hit me up when your out there! ill swing by and chat!

That would be awesome. My dad and I are out there every saturday once there is enough ice for an atv. Plus its always a blast having more guys out there, makes it easier to find the fish.

Sounds good guys! I'll be heading up that way this weekend! My buddy was out on poygan and got a few whiteys, and a few eyes...can't wait!!!!!
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”