Live from the Ice 2013/2014

• Advertisement

HB Store

Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Re: Live from the Ice 2013/2014

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:48 am

Cool fish big woods. I have no experience with saltwater but hope someday. Where were you.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:10 am

Awesome pic!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:32 am

Hodag Hunter wrote:Cool fish big woods. I have no experience with saltwater but hope someday. Where were you.

I was in Punta Cana Dominican Republic for work and fun. Whether you're in Alaska or Florida line up a guided trip!! With boat fumes, hot sun, wind and waves - someone gets sick. Take a Dramamine 60 mins before you hit the water. My :twocents-twocents: I was going to let the other guys that hadn't fished saltwater go first but they got sick... so I feel really lucky/blessed to have gotten a shot at that fish.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:38 am

Here's a little warning... I took my buddy from Heartland, WI to Lake of the Woods. Instead of bringing all our portable gear, shoveling through 40" of snow, buying an auger extension to punch through 42" of ice, we decided to rent a sleeper shack and fish for 2 full days... the easy way.

The fish house was warm when we arrived and I said "this place needs to air out" because the carbon monoxide alarm was going off. So I opened the door to get some air and we unplugged the battery to the alarm because it was ear piercing. I put the battery back in later. Every now and then it would beep for a second but not go off solid. "Maybe the battery is tired."

We stayed there 48 hours. Fortunately it was warm enough out to leave the door open part of the day and the window cracked at night with the heater on low. We had headaches coming and going, sore necks, I noticed I had the shakes and felt weak when I was frying fish... I was having trouble thinking "because I'm tired..."

About 3-4 hours into the ride home we started coming out of a carbon monoxide stupor. The headaches and neck aches started going away away, my hand tremors subsided, my buddy didn't feel nauseated as much, and without being too dramatic that's when we realized we're probably lucky one or both of us didn't die in our sleep.

I think the heater was burning the fuel inefficiently when we turned it on low. Or a draft wasn't allowing the heater to vent properly. Not to mention the sleepers are encased in foam insulation - pretty air tight.

We caught 52 fish... 14 big tulibee, the rest small saugers and walleyes and one nice 26.5" walleye.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:27 am

A shack like that should have a radiant heater like the old campers had (not forced air). Luckily you guys are alright. Just a few brain cells short from the all CO2 (I doubt anyone will notice anyway ;) :mrgreen: ).

I'm glad your OK!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:A shack like that should have a radiant heater like the old campers had (not forced air). Luckily you guys are alright. Just a few brain cells short from the all CO2 ([glow=red]I doubt anyone will notice anyway[/glow] ;) :mrgreen: ).

I'm glad your OK!

:D
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:01 am

About 30 years ago a good hunting buddy of mine and his Dad were fixing there furnace and my buddys brother could not get an answer on the phone over there, so he went over and found my friend Todd and his Dad both unconscious and blue... He called an ambulance and dragged them outside. Both of them were stiff and not breathing...
They were both dead, but somehow they revived Todd, his father passed... Todd was a lot slower after that, and was like a whole different person... Not something anyone should mess with.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:44 pm

dan wrote:About 30 years ago a good hunting buddy of mine and his Dad were fixing there furnace and my buddys brother could not get an answer on the phone over there, so he went over and found my friend Todd and his Dad both unconscious and blue... He called an ambulance and dragged them outside. Both of them were stiff and not breathing...
They were both dead, but somehow they revived Todd, his father passed... Todd was a lot slower after that, and was like a whole different person... Not something anyone should mess with.

That's really sad - they must have gotten a very high dose quickly and directly.

Our symptoms were slower and much less intense but we were there a long time. I figure 100ppm to 400ppm according to the symptoms. If it hadn't been so warm we might not have had the door open during the day. I went to the scouting workshop the weekend before but if we had fished that weekend like I had planned to (extreme cold temperatures and windy up there) we wouldn't have had the door open. Things worked out but I hope I learned something. My judgement was really impaired - we ignored the symptoms even though we were talking about feeling off - even ignored the alarm. Stupid.

Desolate Lake of the Woods
Buddy's decent fish.
Good food

Caught 14 big tullibee that I should have smoked but gave away. Ate some of the saugers right in the fish house... took a couple home each. Caught and released this 26.5" ... I lost first fish, biggest fish, and most fish. The sweep. We're tied 3-3 for "all category" sweeps. I'm going to have to bring my A-game next time.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:Image

That right there is about enough to make me drive clear to Minnesota! :L: :L: :L: It doesn't get any better than that out on the ice. MG dose that look good!!
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:05 am

Jigged up a few whities on Friday.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:57 am

Dhurtubise wrote:Jigged up a few whities on Friday.

Heading to the smoker?
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 am

I deep fry those suckers in an English Fish and chip batter just like the brew- pub in Marquette.

bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:11 pm

Dhurtubise wrote:I deep fry those suckers in an English Fish and chip batter just like the brew- pub in Marquette.

Do you put vinegar on them? :D
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:57 pm

went out to a lake to try and get some gills when going between holes I noticed something under a inch or so of ice.
They must have been looking for legal fishing time :lol:

fishing was terrible left after 2 hours went scouting.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:56 pm

bigwoodsmn wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:I deep fry those suckers in an English Fish and chip batter just like the brew- pub in Marquette.

Do you put vinegar on them? :D

no silly, he's from canada. they put gravy on everything, not vinegar. LOL

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”