tip up questions for pike/walleye

• Advertisement

HB Store

Brad

tip up questions for pike/walleye

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:38 pm

When fishing for pike with tip ups, do you set the minnow close to the bottom, or a few feet below the ice? It has been a LONG time since I have used a tip up, and can no longer remember how we did it. Does everyone use a quick strike rig or a since trouble hook?

How about walleyes?

BigHunt

Re: tip up questions for pike/walleye

Unread postby BigHunt » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:51 pm

i just set them about a foot and ahalf some times foot off the bottem or weeds ....i think pike look up when hunting
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:54 pm

BigHunt wrote:i just set them about a foot and ahalf some times foot off the bottem or weeds ....i think pike look up when hunting

I have heard that as well, thats why I started putting them a foot or two below the ice, but it has been a long time since I have used a tip up and have just about forgot how to use them. If I remember right I caught more fish with it closer to the bottom, but it has been so long.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:53 pm

For pike I use a quick strike rig (I like Fireline) and I set the minnow 5'-7' above the bottom or top of thick weeds. In sparse weeds I will go 5'-7' off bottom as long as I'm at least 2' above the weed tops. I haven't done it in a long time. I should start again. I would like to learn to catch walleye's off tip up's.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:29 pm

I use mono filament leaders and blood red treble hooks tipped with medium shiners just off the bottom for eyes and always do pretty well.

For pike we use the quick strike rigs with medium shiners as well. Usually a couple feet below the ice...if we are fishing a bunch of guys and put tip ups for pike we put a few different depths out and see where the fish are at. We used to use smelt for bait too and caught some decent fish on it but that stuff stanks!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:29 am

it depends on where your fishing...inland lakes that are your classic structure lakes i would set your bait 2 feet off the bottom...walleyes in the winter especially look up for their prey. they are not afraid to swim that extra foot or so to get your bait. that being said, where i fish, i have to let the fish tell me where they are..great lakes walleyes tend to suspend more than alot of people realize...even larger inland lakes they suspend somtimes..if im out i usually set one tipup about 2 feet off bottom and the other one halfway down in the water column...if im fishing say, 26 feet i put the bait at 13. but remember if your fishing shallower than 15 fow always go higher. in fact i dont really think it even matters in less than 10 feet..when walleyes run up classic structure that shallow at night they are there for one reason...they will see your bait...
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:55 am

What size trebles do you use for walleye and do you only fish them at night? What kind of structure do you look for? Weed lines, drop offs?
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
swamp-assassin
500 Club

Unread postby swamp-assassin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:37 am

i like #12 trebles...the dont have to be huge. or red unless your fishing shallower than 15 feet..red turns grey deeper than that...winter walleye activity is generally limited to about a half hour before sundown to a hour after sundown...some lakes it continues on into the night...if so look for them to be much shallower at night...i like 8-10 feet....humps, weedlines, points...really any kind of structure...if you can find a spot on a spot you will nail them...like an inside turn or something..thats my 2cents
"Youll take my guns when you pry them out of my cold dead hands, with the bolts locked back, the barrels smoking and a pile of empty brass and magazines at my feet." Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Ice Fishing”