Knives you like.

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

Re: Knives you like.

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:36 am

My everyday carry us a benchmade Bugout, got the DLC coated non-serrated blade and really love it. For deer field cutting, I have the benchmade altitude and a havalon. For processing, I use mall rapala filet knives and a victorinox boning knife.

tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:48 am

For field dressing I like a buck (family traditions) haley heath.
15955441015123512713709181746349.jpg

Fits the hand just right. Thick blade, rubber handle and has a rough spot on blade so the fingers do not slide off into danger.

Everyday use is benchmade.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:23 pm

I guess I’ll be the first with a Kershaw, it’s a stone wash fixed blade. I’m not sure of the model.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:18 pm

My go to deer knife hands down is a Rapala 6” filet knife. I can unzip a deer with that so quick your head would spin! Easy to sharpen, easy to gut and debone with as well as trim the meat. Stops holding an edge I just pitch it and get another.

Bio1
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:09 am

I have a wide variety of knives that I’m attached to. Some are performance based while others are emotional attachment.

I use my grandpas old straight edge shaving razor every time I skin a buck. I’m also attached to a k-bar that I carried for 8 years in the service. I have a beautiful elk horn Rambo knife I won in a chili cook off that I’m proud of. Though I’ve never used it believe I could go OJ Simpson if the need arrises.

For outdoor activities if I only could choose 2 I would go 7” bubba blade for fish and a standard SOG knife for whitetails. I prefer a fixed knife over a folding knife. U can even tell from the SOD with blood residue I’m not the most clean sportsman. Heck..., I get excited and often forget about cleaning a gutting knife. That can be a problem with a folder in my experience.

With fishing fillet knives u want something that holds an edge and the blade has give to swipe a fillet. You also want a full tang blade well into the handle for security. This is where cheapo knives fail. But I be the first to tell ya if u clean 10 fish per year in really doesn’t matter. If u clean a lot pick yourself up a Bubba u won’t regret it.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:23 am

If I could only have one knife. It would be my case pocket knife. Tons of tree rat, rabbit, dove, duck, goose, fish and deer been cleaned with it.

Almost time for a new one since the blade is getting so thin from being resharpened and rehoned through the years.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:13 am

A5BLASTER wrote:If I could only have one knife. It would be my case pocket knife. Tons of tree rat, rabbit, dove, duck, goose, fish and deer been cleaned with it.

Almost time for a new one since the blade is getting so thin from being resharpened and rehoned through the years.

If you ask they might replace the blade.

https://caseknives.com/pages/warranty-repair

Many years ago Buck replaced the blade on my 110 folder. I bought it in 1980 when I went into the service and I broke the tip off digging out a slug. I told them what happened and offered to pay for the replacement blade. Not only did they replace it under warranty I had it back in a couple of weeks.

Can’t beat that.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Loli

Unread postby Loli » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:20 am

Here is my Buck 110, this is certainly my #1 for foldable and reliable knife.
-3.75” blade
-under 200
-EDC
-non-assisted
-LEGENDARY
No idea if it’s legal in Canada or not, but it is 100% handy and long lasting, mine serves me well for about
12 years.
https://wildproofgear.com/the-best-8-folding-buck-knives/
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:49 am

It’s more sentimental than $$
My 93 yo uncle gave it to me decades ago

It’s sharp as heck and holds an edge.

I use it to skin/gut deer, bust up oysters, splinter lighter wood, clean fish. You name it
4A3B5298-3C9B-4934-B288-E025C51ECA0D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:09 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Was just wondering what knives you own and like.

I'm a big Morakniv fan best knives I've owned.

My favorite is the Morakniv Garberg in Carbon for woodworking and survival, camping.

My everyday carry is the Morakniv Eldris amazing tiny knife. Great for skinning small game. Also a great firestarter.

For combat I have a Seal Pup I got on clerence years ago.

For skinning I like the baby Camulous from walmart.

I used to be a Gerber fan and Sog but the quality keeps going downhill. As you can tell I'm a fixed blade fan. I tried to buy for different purposes. Each is unique.

What knives do you guys like?

I own four, use two.

Kestrel mountain caper for elk hunting. Mostly selected this model for its lightweight build (22 grams.). The 2 3/4” blade is enough for breaking down an elk. Used a 3” Kershaw folder for several years prior but it weighed a bit over 3 ounces so I don’t carry that one anymore. It is now a backup in the event I misplace or break the Kestrel. The Kestrel has done really well, all things considered, with one exception: it did not perform well on a bull elk that was caked in dry mud/clay. That was miserable. In all fairness I doubt many knives would have done well cutting through the clay that was chunked up into that elk’s hide. My dogbone sharpener got a lot of work for that elk.

Mora for deer hunting. Holds an edge well, performs well above its prove point. Used a folding buck 110 for 15(?) years or so before the tip snapped off. (Entirely my fault for misusing the knife as a tool. Buck honored the lifetime warranty and replaced the blade at no charge. Good on them, that was a pleasant customer experience. Bought the Mora as I was without a knife for a brief period of time while the Buck was out for warranty work during the hunting season. Prefer the ergonomics of the Mora so the Buck has taken a back seat.)

“For combat”....?....SMH....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:39 pm

I have a knife my buddy made for me that I really enjoy. Then there is an Orvis custom knife my parents gave me almost 25 years ago. That knife has been amazing. I also carry a SpyderCo daily and an Emerson while at work. I have about 50 knives and always looking for the next one.
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:22 am

For under $20, I bought 2 of these and I have been really impressed. https://amzn.to/3xIG5KR

Swedish knife, super sharp.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:29 am

Maverick1 wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:Was just wondering what knives you own and like.

I'm a big Morakniv fan best knives I've owned.

My favorite is the Morakniv Garberg in Carbon for woodworking and survival, camping.

My everyday carry is the Morakniv Eldris amazing tiny knife. Great for skinning small game. Also a great firestarter.

For combat I have a Seal Pup I got on clerence years ago.

For skinning I like the baby Camulous from walmart.

I used to be a Gerber fan and Sog but the quality keeps going downhill. As you can tell I'm a fixed blade fan. I tried to buy for different purposes. Each is unique.

What knives do you guys like?

I own four, use two.

Kestrel mountain caper for elk hunting. Mostly selected this model for its lightweight build (22 grams.). The 2 3/4” blade is enough for breaking down an elk. Used a 3” Kershaw folder for several years prior but it weighed a bit over 3 ounces so I don’t carry that one anymore. It is now a backup in the event I misplace or break the Kestrel. The Kestrel has done really well, all things considered, with one exception: it did not perform well on a bull elk that was caked in dry mud/clay. That was miserable. In all fairness I doubt many knives would have done well cutting through the clay that was chunked up into that elk’s hide. My dogbone sharpener got a lot of work for that elk.

Mora for deer hunting. Holds an edge well, performs well above its prove point. Used a folding buck 110 for 15(?) years or so before the tip snapped off. (Entirely my fault for misusing the knife as a tool. Buck honored the lifetime warranty and replaced the blade at no charge. Good on them, that was a pleasant customer experience. Bought the Mora as I was without a knife for a brief period of time while the Buck was out for warranty work during the hunting season. Prefer the ergonomics of the Mora so the Buck has taken a back seat.)

“For combat”....?....SMH....

Hope I never need to use one.
Better to have and not need then need and not have.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
KPillinois

Unread postby KPillinois » Mon Jul 26, 2021 3:35 pm

Missionshooter wrote:For under $20, I bought 2 of these and I have been really impressed. https://amzn.to/3xIG5KR

Swedish knife, super sharp.

I'm not a knife expert but 2 of my favorites that i own are the Gerber Strongarm (Made in USA) and the Camillus EDC3 3 in. Carbonitride Titanium Drop Point Partially Serrated Folding Knife with Stainless Steel Handle, Dual Thumbstud ....... i just looked up the Mora that Missionshooter recommended and added it to my wish list on Amazon for when i make my next purchase. Thanks Missionshooter !
I've changed my ways, I'm now looking for big bucks on public land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”