Hunting flashlight - what to look at?

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MikeHunter
Facebook: -

Hunting flashlight - what to look at?

Unread postby MikeHunter » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm

It's no secret that success in hunting depends on many factors and moments. Undoubtedly, experience and high-quality weapons, as well as luck, are fundamental. But an essential role is also played by auxiliary equipment, among which the lantern is. There are a lot of manufacturers producing various types of flashlights for hunting. But giving preference to one or the other device you need to remember that it must meet the following requirements: durability and reliability; must withstand the vibration of the weapon; be able to be securely installed on the weapon; have multiple backlight modes; be simple in operation; have a waterproof and durable case; have a reliable and long food.
Properly selected best hunting flashlight will not only help you during the hunt, but will also perfectly perform all the functions assigned to it.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Hunting flashlight - what to look at?

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:33 am

i carry a small headlamp that runs on a single aa battery i try and make all my electronics carry the same batteries as well. one thing that everybody should practice is changing a battery in total darkness. another good thing is make a dedicated place you put that light on your person where you can never forget it. make sure its in a zippered pocket. i keep mine in my bino pack with all my other essential gear for simple reason that piece of gear always stays on my person in the field no matter what im doing.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:40 am

MikeHunter wrote:It's no secret that success in hunting depends on many factors and moments. Undoubtedly, experience and high-quality weapons, as well as luck, are fundamental. But an essential role is also played by auxiliary equipment, among which the lantern is. There are a lot of manufacturers producing various types of flashlights for hunting. But giving preference to one or the other device you need to remember that it must meet the following requirements: durability and reliability; must withstand the vibration of the weapon; be able to be securely installed on the weapon; have multiple backlight modes; be simple in operation; have a waterproof and durable case; have a reliable and long food.
Properly selected

[url=https://gearexpertguides.com/best-hunting-flashlights/]best hunting flashlight[url

will not only help you during the hunt, but will also perfectly perform all the functions assigned to it.

Spam post with a hidden link...
Who uses a weapon mounted light for hunting?
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:06 pm

If you look directly at it and don't get many spots then it's not a good one!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Noreast10pt wrote:
MikeHunter wrote:It's no secret that success in hunting depends on many factors and moments. Undoubtedly, experience and high-quality weapons, as well as luck, are fundamental. But an essential role is also played by auxiliary equipment, among which the lantern is. There are a lot of manufacturers producing various types of flashlights for hunting. But giving preference to one or the other device you need to remember that it must meet the following requirements: durability and reliability; must withstand the vibration of the weapon; be able to be securely installed on the weapon; have multiple backlight modes; be simple in operation; have a waterproof and durable case; have a reliable and long food.
Properly selected

[url=https://gearexpertguides.com/best-hunting-flashlights/]best hunting flashlight[url

will not only help you during the hunt, but will also perfectly perform all the functions assigned to it.

I was about to post the same thing lol. Do that here and get caught...you’ll be hit with some hefty fines
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:20 pm

checkerfred wrote:
Noreast10pt wrote:
Properly selected

I was about to post the same thing lol. Do that here and get caught...you’ll be hit with some hefty fines

It is legal in some states for predator hunting and or pigs.

I'll look into the spam thing!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:27 am

Zebra lights are nice. They go from .5 lumens to 1000. Small and light weight they fit nicely in a pocket. They only issue for me is no red light but I’m sure you can find a lens somewhere.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:55 am

I like Gerber recon as my main light. Best light for the money I've found with great battery life. Has red green blue white colors.

Maglite solitaire led is a amazing backup light only 1 hour battery though.Tiny but gets the job done.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:20 pm

https://www.streamlight.com/products/de ... tac-hl-5-x

Rechargeable batteries or cr123a

3,500 lumen led

Led will warm your fingers real quick if your hands get cold!
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:15 am

This year I'm running a
Browning green headlamp for 1 stick method.
Maglite soliare led backup.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:16 am

I do NOT use flashlights because they deprive you of the use of your hand(s). One of which is already lost to carrying the bow. Carrying a light in the other means you now have no hands with which to help move brush and/or help maintain balance, etc when navigating terrain, or use to hold a navigation device (compass, GPS, etc).

IMHO headlamps are the only way to fly. That said I have a lot of them and can recommend the following:

Energizer - the 30 dollar one at wally world (brightest model). This is the best bang for the buck headlamp on the market - period - bar none.

Black Diamond Storm - a good headlamp. On the expensive side. Lots of options which makes for lots of confusing button push sequences which are a pain in the field. The company has also done some virtue-signaling recently and are not well aligned with the interest of 2nd amendment supporters and/or hunters. I've had a storm and it lasted about 3 years before failure. I do have another one now, but I got a steal on it (last year's model). I would never buy new at full price. They're also a bit on the heavy/bulky side for a headlamp.

Browning - not very bright. Housing is kind of flimsy.

PETZL - TACTIKKA - liked it so much I returned it a day after getting it on Amazon... Junk... The Energizers at wally world are better at a lower cost point. I think the people who rated this headlamp highly on Amazon just have no basis of compairison.

I've had others too... But I keep coming back to the Energizer...
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:37 am

For morning hunts I am using a Fenix E16 with a 16340 rechargeable lithium battery and a red lens cap. Here I want want something bright but it doesn’t have to have a long run time.

For hunts where a night recovery is possible I want bright long running lights that use the same battery for the head lamp and my hand held light. In both lights I am using an unprotected high drain 18650 lithium rechargeable batteries. I carry 2 spare batteries as well.

For a headlamp I am using the Nitecore HC90 (900 Lumens):

For a hand held I am using a Manker E14 with a long battery tube so I can use 18650 batteries. I have the early version that will put out 1,000 lumens. There are many versions of this flashlight out now. The short tube allows you to save some weight and use 18350 batteries but the trade off is shorter run times.

This is a Manker E14ii which can put out up to 2200 lumens. The higher the lumen output is the faster the battery is depleted and the hotter the light will get. My E14 at 1000 lumens gets pretty hot on its highest setting. It can double as a hand warmer. :shock:

I hope that this is useful.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:42 am

I look for headlamp that will run along time on batteries. They are usually not real expensive and do a good job.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:43 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:If you look directly at it and don't get many spots then it's not a good one!

You have the best one liners. :lol:
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:48 am

The last 3 years I have been useing either my red hog hunting headlamp or my red hog hunting weapon light, I remove it from the rifle for walking in and out while bowhunting, gun hunting it stays on the rifle.

Lights are made by elusive wildlife.

Headlamp is adjustable for beam with and brightness, weapon lights is a tight beam non adjustable but very very bright.

I like useing because they seem too not spook animals and I can adjust the headlamp to give me just enough light too walk in or out depending on terrine and weather conditions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”