Basic navigation

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

218er
500 Club

Re: Basic navigation

Unread postby 218er » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:24 pm

Moss grows primarily on the north side of trees in the northern hemisphere. I’ve used this knowledge more than once to get out of the sticks. I also like to have an area of boundaries such as worst case scenario catch this creek, road, or railroad back to civilization. A second flash light, extra batteries, and a compass are essential plan b items. The navigation systems on newer phones have gotten so slick and battery life is so much better my garmin is basically a plan b item these days as well.

Persistence is undefeated.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Basic navigation

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:29 pm

To the OP:

Carry a spare set of batteries for the GPS. AA batteries don't weigh much... The phone can be a back up too. The satellite view in Google Earth is enough to get you headed where you want to go. Compass obviously as well. I have all 3 ready to go but I'm never without at least one extra set of fresh AAs on me for the Garmin. That thing is must-have in my world. Maybe my eyes aren't as good as others, maybe it's the thick canopy here in MA, but I can not see worth a darn in the woods after dark. I can't see my own hand in front of my face most nights. Getting in/out by moonlight... no way I can pull that off... My Garmin and a 150-lumen headlamp are permanent fixtures in my pack. I carry a smaller spare headlamp and spare batteries for both. Can't put a price on peace of mind. That's worth 8 or so ounces to me...

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”