Camping with hammocks...

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jlh42581
500 Club

Re: Camping with hammocks...

Unread postby jlh42581 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 am

Im working on my setup currently. I even have a cheap one for napping in other than my hennessy, which btw offers a side zip version.

A little pricey is pretty conservative. With what Ill have in this I wouldnt be too far off from a Kifaru setup. So far as mentioned, way more comfort than a solo mountain hardware tent I have. Guys are even getting tarps with stove jacks these days.

Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:25 am

Man every time I see this thread I think ...this is the one and ONLY thing in my life I was doing before 99% of the population. I love my Hennessy and the technology has come a long way. Sleeping in a hammock and the comfort is what pushed me over the edge to move to saddle hunting. And 'my watch has begun' on the Tethrd wait list.

NOTHING like sleeping in a hammock ...in the wilderness!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:48 am

I bought an ENO one link system and the ENO Ember 2 underquilt for my boundary waters trip this year. We went in the middle of May and the overnight temp dropped to 38 degrees on a couple nights and low 40's the rest of the time, it also rained one night.I had a 40 degree sleeping bag and a thin fleece liner. I never was cold and never wet. It took my some minor adjustments over the trip to get it set up so I didnt slide down to my foot end . Once I figured out high high my foot end needed to be compared to my head end I stopped sliding down the hammock. Sure beat sleeping on the ground. I really enjoyed my first site in the morning being a sunrise over a lake.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:38 pm

Hammock camping is really catching on, I'm seeing more of it than ever before. Everyone I talk to that has experience with it has few complaints.

That's all I need is another hobby. :lol:
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:59 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Hammock camping is really catching on, I'm seeing more of it than ever before. Everyone I talk to that has experience with it has few complaints.

That's all I need is another hobby. :lol:

Hard not to like it.
It's faster to setup then a tent.
Easier to carry , lighter.
Being off the ground is nice.
They dry out fast after a rain where a tent takes longer.

Join the club and become a bear burrito.

It's a cheap hobby as long as you don't buy the 300 underquilts.
The cheap hammocks are very good for the money to try before you decide if you want a expensive model. I first bought a 20.00 wise owl then moved upto the Grand Trunk Kryptek Double.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:58 am

Yeah I love hammock camping, as noted in my comments above. A few complaints, to give fair balance, is when you need to pee in the night. I normally stop drinking anything a few hours before I plan to sleep because getting out of it to pee stinks. Also, if you get socked in for a day due to poor weather, there is less room to maneuver. You can't cook in a hammock vestibule like you can with a tent.

Tips:
- get a larger rain fly than comes with it - this allows you to perhaps get out of the tent and stay dry on those long wet days
- even at ~40 degrees, I like something to create dead air space
-- normally put a lightweight windshield reflector inside my sleeping bag so it doesn't shift
-- You can always unzip the bag if you get warm, but you can't magically make one appear if it's cold
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”