Camping with hammocks...

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
Crazinamatese

Re: Camping with hammocks...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:43 am

Is an under quilt necessary? I know its a good idea to have a layer of insulation on your bottom side, but would a sleeping pad, or maybe even a fleece blanket do the job just as well? I like to sleep in cold anyways...

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Is an under quilt necessary? I know its a good idea to have a layer of insulation on your bottom side, but would a sleeping pad, or maybe even a fleece blanket do the job just as well? I like to sleep in cold anyways...

I used a sleeping bag and air mattress in Colorado. I had to deflate half of the air from the pad and stuff it inside my bag to keep from sliding off of it. In short, you don't need an underquilt, but they will make things easier and provide greater comfort.
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 am

they make a pad cut for hammocks thats tapered with two flaps on each side that come up around your abdomen, i just used a self inflating pad that i already had. theres a way to use hammocks also when there are no trees around and if you have two hiking poles. its on youtube somewhere.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:57 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Is an under quilt necessary? I know its a good idea to have a layer of insulation on your bottom side, but would a sleeping pad, or maybe even a fleece blanket do the job just as well? I like to sleep in cold anyways...

Some people use a sleeping pad underneath, but they don't give as good of coverage and can be hard to get situated properly, and slip out while you toss and turn. The problem with sleeping bags is they compact down when you lay on them, reducing/eliminating the insulation underneath you. This is why you typically still use a sleeping pad even with a sleeping bag for traditional camping. The pad not only provides additional comfort, but it keeps you warmer.

I use my sleeping bag as my topquilt in my hammock. I keep it open like a blanket, but if I get too chilled and zip it up and sleep in it in the traditional style to give my underquilt a little extra help keeping me warm.

If you think you could make due without an underquilt I would STRONGLY recommend testing it out at home before going out into the field.
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:50 pm

I love my hammock. I have an eno double nest and a Hennessy tarp. If I didn't camp with my wife, I'd never use a tent again. Get yourself a decent sleeping bag, it gets cold sometimes, but those three things are about all you need as far as sleeping is concerned. I keep 50' of rope in my pack, then tie easily untied knots. Straps and buckles would be easier, but weigh so much more. I care more about less weight than convenience of straps. Good luck in using it. Takes some getting use to sleeping without the "protection" the tent offers. If you struggle with it, get a mosquito net and lower the tarp, it gives you a comforting feeling.. helped with wife a lot. I'm happy for you and hope it works out. Going to a hammock was the best choice i made when it comes to camping.
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:54 pm

Octang nailed this one on the head. It's about warmth. A sleeping pad still do just fine, I personal use an awesome sleeping bag.. less items to carry.. but he's right about it flattening out a little. I heard a reflective blanket helps a lot with this, but then theres noise..
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:18 am

Crazinamatese wrote:This is a camping question...I recently bought a camping hammock. Im a minimalist camper and thought a hammock would be great to have. Wondering if any beasts have ditched their tents for a hammock. Any Pros or Cons I should be aware of?

invest in good quality top quilt and under quilt welcome to the wonderful world of hanging.
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:15 am

I have owned the original Hennessy Hammock for about 25 years now. If I’m going solo, that’s all I bring. It weighs less than two pounds. And it comes with an integrated mosquito net and a functional rain fly.

The only thing you need know is that a full length sleeping mat is essential unless you’re sleeping in 90F weather. With the mat they’re comfortable, without it I doubt anyone sleeps for more than 1/2 hour at a time. Also, you have to sleep on a diagonal from the centre line. People who don’t like them usually fail to, or aren’t able to do one of these two things.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:59 am

tgreeno wrote:How do you deal with the bugs?
I use a warbonnet black bird it has a built in bug net. I use the whole system top quilt bottom quilt and tarps. they are made in Colorado so that's a plus and they are real good guys to deal with.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 am

Ashreve93 wrote:

Octang nailed this one on the head. It's about warmth. A sleeping pad still do just fine, I personal use an awesome sleeping bag.. less items to carry.. but he's right about it flattening out a little. I heard a reflective blanket helps a lot with this, but then theres noise..

ive done it all and under quilts are the best option for comfort
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:04 am

go on youtube and watch shug emerys channel everything you want to learn about hammock camping is their
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:47 am

I've used a Hennessy for a lot of years (prob 20+). What I've learned...

- Even at 40, you (at least I) need some type of dead air space. I've used therma-rest and even a windshield reflector for a car. Find the fit is better if I put it inside the sleeping bag. Doesn't slide around
- Upgraded the rain fly, as it wasn't quite large enough
- Most comfortable sleep you'll ever have outdoors IMO
- main con to me - if you have to pee at night, it's not as easy to get in/out of the velcro slip on the hammock

There are probably better camping hammocks out there these days. I was doing a lot of long-distance backpacking when I became a convert. Still have a tent if it's sure enough bad weather, but prefer the hammock.
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Got to find one that "fits" you. Not all hammocks are created equal
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
William74080
Facebook: Will Lane

Unread postby William74080 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:35 am

Seen thread was pretty dead but posting anyways.. Friend of mine gave me a cut off piece of reflectix u get at lowes to put in my sleeping bag. Same souble sided aluminum bubble wrap they put in cielings and walls of metal buildings. Super thin and light. This stuff will cook you out of your bed.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:24 am

I love my hammock Grand Trunk Kryptek Double.
I take it on scouting trips all the time and setup for half a hour or so when I'm tired of walking.

I also have a wise owl which is ok hard to beat the Kryptek.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”