Camping with hammocks...

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crazinamatese

Camping with hammocks...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:29 pm

This is a camping question...I recently bought a camping hammock. Im a minimalist camper and thought a hammock would be great to have. Wondering if any beasts have ditched their tents for a hammock. Any Pros or Cons I should be aware of?

The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Re: Camping with hammocks...

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 am

I just got back from a Colorado mule deer trip where I slept in a hammock.

Pros: Much better comfort, don't need flat ground, easy to set up, versatility through multiple seasons, minimal condensation (depending on tarp pitch)

Cons: Can be expensive to get all of the components for a full system, not the lightest option for long distance packing, won't work if there aren't trees.

I just used an ENO Double Nest with a regular down sleeping bag and half filled air mattress stuffed inside. Moving forward, I'll get a more dedicated APEX top quilt and underquilt for even greater comfort. I've never slept as well as I did that trip. Every morning I woke up refreshed with no sore spots. The hammock tended to keep me more motionless, whereas typically I roll around a lot during sleep.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:19 am

I used to camp in a Hammock regularly back 30 years or more ago. Ditched the tent completely. An inexpensive lightweight nylon deal with a couple steel rings on the ends and about 10 feet of poly rope on the end. A waterproof nylon tarp (12x12) with grommets, some parachute cord to tie down to 4 tent stakes. Much lighter than a tent and was able to see the cause of all that stuff that goes bump in the night. Best wierd noise ever was a white- tail that was doing a lip curl 15 feet from my set-up just before sunup. :lol:
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:56 am

i got a hennessey and will never go back to tent camping, very easy to sleep 10 hours. just make sure you have a sleeping pad to lay on cuz the cold cuts right through to your back.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 am

How do you deal with the bugs?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:57 am

tgreeno wrote:How do you deal with the bugs?

Some hammocks come with integrated mesh bug nets that zip onto the hammock, or you can add them separately.
riverrat bbq

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:59 am

I recently bought a BearButt hammie off amazon. I think they are competing with ENO. Very good price and very comfy. I will need to get a rain fly next. There seems to be a lot of styles out there just make sure that you look at a few. Good luck with hunting this year.
Perfectionitz

Unread postby Perfectionitz » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:21 am

For years I had an ultralight Marmot tent that I packed. I haven't touched it in years. Always a hammock and tarp now. Its perfect.
I HAVE THE TENDENCY TO DO IT UP
Billyjack

Unread postby Billyjack » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:42 pm

Hammock camping definitely has a learning curve but it is absolutely worth it. I’ll never sleep on the ground again...
GoetzC

Unread postby GoetzC » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:13 pm

Another long time hammock camper here.
If you haven’t already check out www.hammockforums.net
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:30 pm

GoetzC wrote:Another long time hammock camper here.
If you haven’t already check out http://www.hammockforums.net

Wow they have a forum for everything these days. :lol:
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:37 pm

I am a recent convert to hammock camping and I will never go back. It is WAY more comfortable.

Like has been previously stated, it is a little more expensive, you need an underquilt to keep your back/but warm, as well as a rainfly to keep you dry. Don't buy one without an attached bugnet. I bought Warbonnet because of their stellar reviews, and it didn't disappoint.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:11 am

Octang wrote:I am a recent convert to hammock camping and I will never go back. It is WAY more comfortable.

Like has been previously stated, it is a little more expensive, you need an underquilt to keep your back/but warm, as well as a rainfly to keep you dry. Don't buy one without an attached bugnet. I bought Warbonnet because of their stellar reviews, and it didn't disappoint.

I'll probably upgrade to a Warbonnnet too at some point.
GoetzC

Unread postby GoetzC » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I'll probably upgrade to a Warbonnnet too at some point.

I have tried a lot of hammocks over the years and settled on the Warbonnet RidgeRunner bridge hammocks. It’s the most comfortable and comes at only a minor weight penalty compared to a gathered end hammock.
Octang
500 Club

Unread postby Octang » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 am

bowhunter15 wrote:
Octang wrote:I am a recent convert to hammock camping and I will never go back. It is WAY more comfortable.

I'll probably upgrade to a Warbonnnet too at some point.

You will be happy you did. I LOVE the side storage area that comes with the hammock. It makes it easy to have things like a flashlight accessible in the middle of the night. Plus, it is just very well designed and comfortable. I haven't used any other brands of hammocks so I can't compare it to anything else, but I did a lot of research and I am happy I trusted the good reviews.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”