what GPS or APP?

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Re: what GPS or APP?

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:04 am

Missionshooter wrote:
JMax1978 wrote:I love my Garmin GPS Map 64. I also use Onx Maps on the computer for scouting and enter in the data I need to the GPS. I also have a compass and map packed in my pack. I got lost in a flat clearcut when I was 15. Some lessons only need to be learned once. Lol

x2 great GPS. Worth every penny and I am a much better hunter with it in my hands.

Having a good GPS (I have the 62S) and knowing how to use it is a game changer.

Bob

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:08 am

I have a Garmin 62s and wouldn’t be without it. I have then OnX hunt map for it too. However I also use my iPhone a considerable amount as it’s easier to see maps plus having aerials. TopoMaps+ is the best I’ve found for iPhone. It’s free though you get higher res maps if you subscribe which I do. You can download and cache your area to use online as well. The developer has given me the best support too. I even recommended a feature added which he is doing with the next update.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:33 pm

I use my phone but carry my old garmen just incase I don't have any service. But with the onx offline map option you can still use your phone with sucky service. I turn my gps on wherever I park and mark a way point. Then I turn it off. I haven't "used" It in 5 years.
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Nickburke1
Facebook: Nick Burke

Unread postby Nickburke1 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:15 pm

OnX maps with your area downloaded before you go. Has yet to fail me and maintains great accuracy.
Always dream big
Bears Fan

Unread postby Bears Fan » Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:19 am

I have a Garmin 64, and I carry a compass incase of battery failure.

I would not want to rely on cell phone tower service, although I use my phone mainly.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:58 am

Bears Fan wrote:I have a Garmin 64, and I carry a compass incase of battery failure.

I would not want to rely on cell phone tower service, although I use my phone mainly.

This is why I only get phones that have an independent GPS inside them. That way if I can't connect with a tower I'm still good to go.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun May 21, 2023 9:16 am

I use Onx. I've never had a problem with it yet. If my phone fails, I'll just listen for cars and walk that direction.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun May 21, 2023 11:58 am

I have several.

ONX
US Topo maps
Garmin GPS
Military style compass
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun May 21, 2023 12:14 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:I have several.

ONX
US Topo maps
Garmin GPS
Military style compass

And I rarely ever need any of it unless I'm in WalMart parking lot trying find my vehicle. :lol:
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu May 25, 2023 2:25 pm

I have a Garmin 64S. I also use Gaia on the phone & PC. It's not a hunting-specific app, but I found it to be better than hunting-specific apps. HuntStand, Spartin Fordge, OnX, etc. all have a lot to learn from Gaia on how to build an interface, features, and a reliable GPS. This is especially true for Hunt Stand. The GPS in that app is awful. The direction of travel arrow rotates around like a disco ball, even when standing still. I'm all set trying to navigate with garbage like that. Not my phone either. Did it on my prior phone, a Samsung Galaxy S10+, my work Galaxy S20, my current S22 Ultra, and my girlfriend's S23+. Caca.. Too bad because some of the hunting specific features are nice. But the lack of reliable navigation is a deal breaker. Not when the competition is what it is. Spartin Fordge doesn't have a desktop interface... It's been "coming".... for years.... OnX overlays are weak sauce here in the North East. Gaia blows them all out of the water.

https://www.gaiagps.com/

if you're interested. Fully functional desktop web interface and apps for Android and iOS.

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”