what GPS or APP?

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
bkraus

Re: what GPS or APP?

Unread postby bkraus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:53 am

I have a Garmin 600, with onx map chip. I've used my phone trying to find my way around, and it always frustrates me, because the battery drains. I usally hunt or scout in wet areas, and i really don't feel like dropping my phone in the water. Also I cant see the screen when it bright out. My opinion is go with a hand held unit.

northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:06 pm

I'm liking using huntstand....it's a good app free or real cheap for a year subscription. You can mark anything on them too...trails,beds, roads...my favorite feature is the distance measurement...it helps me get back away from people and it just helps when looking at maps to see how far things are away
mihunter101

Unread postby mihunter101 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:16 pm

Jonny wrote:Garmin 64s with onx maps, iphone with google maps. Shows aerial and where I am. And a pin on compass for quick readings and my fail safe. Also have a compass in my pack incase the pin breaks, which it does about once a year. Also carry an external battery for my phone. Great investment

Gps records my track, spots, and any points I find relevant. Aerial shows me where to go, and compass gets me there faster since I can have my gps hanging on my belt and phone in my pocket.

Pretty much my exact setup, except I have an Android phone. Gotta have redundancy. 2 is 1, 1 is none. :handgestures-thumbup:
Let's go Brandon!
Blue Ridge

Unread postby Blue Ridge » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:16 am

I have enjoyed the GPS kit for iPhone, I bought it a while back when it was 9.99, I think the price has since gone up and not sure about the more recent reviews on it.
I also use a garmin etrex20x for backup. I recently downloaded the free trial of OnX maps and it seems like a pretty legit mapping kit if you're up for the yearly subscription.
SidewayZ
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SidewayZ32

Unread postby SidewayZ » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:35 am

Hawthorne wrote:I phone with an onx map subscription. All I can say is awesome!

Agreed! You can download maps in case no cell service before you head out. Multiple State data is very nice.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
-SidewayZ-

I'm not scared to fail, I just fear regret!
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:54 am

PK_ wrote:iPhone, Gaia app. Very easy to use, seems very accurate. The aerials aren't great but it will get you in and out. You can buy an external battery for phone so it doesn't die on you.

Yep, this is what I've been using for years. Works great!
rempse2

Unread postby rempse2 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:56 pm

I use the GPS Waypoints Navigator app on my Android phone and also carry a topo map of the area and a compass. The app was worked pretty good for me and has met my needs, but I will probabbly carry a back up power source as it can drain the battery if your not careful.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

"MyTrails" app
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
ruttnhrd

Unread postby ruttnhrd » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:08 am

I have a Garmin Oregon with onx map chip. I use it a ton, to mark beds and I'll use it to mark a route to get into a stand a certain way. You can get them on sale at Cabela's all the time for around 199.99 I think. It's a great tool in my eyes.
Net Guy
500 Club

Unread postby Net Guy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I've been using the Garmin 64st and love it! Having a compass for back up is a good idea too.
Sneeek'n'Around

Unread postby Sneeek'n'Around » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:09 pm

I use onx with subscription for land boundaries, but my go to app is called back country navigator, In my opinion I like it better than onx, only down flaw is it doesn't provide land owner info if that's what your looking for.
JMax1978

Unread postby JMax1978 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am

I love my Garmin GPS Map 64. I also use Onx Maps on the computer for scouting and enter in the data I need to the GPS. I also have a compass and map packed in my pack. I got lost in a flat clearcut when I was 15. Some lessons only need to be learned once. Lol
backcountrychronicle

Unread postby backcountrychronicle » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:52 am

Another consideration...

Here, we get just enough cell phone coverage around the edges of the backcountry to be dangerous. People assume their cell phone's will work, but when you need them most they may not.

Everyone here should have a GPS of some type, but I also recommend a PLB (personal locator beacon).

Read my "I wish I had a PLB" story: http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/pl ... or-beacon/ (about halfway down the page).

I always take a PLB with me now. It also helps my wife not worry so much when I can't get cell service.

There are lots of survival stories out there and people are hailed as heroes because they suffered greatly, but survived some bad situation. Truth is, if they had a PLB, they would have been home for dinner.
outdooravidity
Facebook: www.facebook.com/outdooravidity

Unread postby outdooravidity » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Another happy Gaia user via my iPhone. The recently added land parcel ownership overlay is a really nice enhancement. Gaia plus a map/compass backup in my pack and I'm good to go.
Yes, I am addicted to bowhunting.
No, I don't need help.
I just need more arrows.

http://outdooravidity.com
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 am

JMax1978 wrote:I love my Garmin GPS Map 64. I also use Onx Maps on the computer for scouting and enter in the data I need to the GPS. I also have a compass and map packed in my pack. I got lost in a flat clearcut when I was 15. Some lessons only need to be learned once. Lol

x2 great GPS. Worth every penny and I am a much better hunter with it in my hands.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”