Getting closer to being able to solo camp!

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Getting closer to being able to solo camp!

Unread postby xpauliber » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:52 am

Just picked up a Yukon Outfitters pack today off of CamoFire which is another piece of gear that I've needed to get everything I need to be able to do solo camping trips.

ImageImage

This winter I'm going to research what the best solo tents are and I'm hoping to be able to do some 1-3 day solo camping trips this spring. I love the feeling of independence and just being care-free when I hike back into the mountain but it sucks knowing I have to hike back out. I'm really looking forward to being able to pack a couple days worth of food & water and just spend some time away out in nature. I'll have a fishing rod in the event there's some fish-able water nearby.

I enjoy camping with my family but there's just something about being out in nature by yourself...making all the decisions for yourself and just becoming a part of nature. I feel like a part of nature when I'm in my archery stand for sure but living out in nature, even if it's only for a short time, is definitely cleansing for the soul for me. My wife thinks I'm crazy of course. :lol:

Anyone else do these types of trips?

MOBIGBUCKS

Re: Getting closer to being able to solo camp!

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:44 am

Yup, I'm gearing up for hunting out west one of these years. I"m buying a Kifaru Duplex T1 for my pack.

I like the solitude nature of hunting by myself as well.
BigCedarJack
500 Club

Unread postby BigCedarJack » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:40 pm

Nice! I thought about pulling the trigger! Let us know what you think when it arrives?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:17 pm

Nice looking rig XP!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
remmag
500 Club

Unread postby remmag » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:47 pm

That's awesome! I've often considered this myself. Camping out for a couple days during extensive scouting trips. People think your crazy for camping during the winter in the middle of the woods...I guess I can see it. :lol:

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:46 am

Looks like a super nice set up.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Jimo@work

Unread postby Jimo@work » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:48 am

Looks nice. I like the slim design.. Post a review when you get it broken in!

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:50 am

I really like the built in rifle holder. I'll be looking to add a lightweight tent to my setup and I'm thinking about going with a 2-person tent just to have some extra room to stow my gear in.

I'm open to suggestions if anyone has any experience with any.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 pm

I'm posting this from my shelter at 9000 feet in a Colorado wilderness area (strange I get 3g out here). Anyway when I get back I'll upload a complete gear list review that you might find useful. My shelter is a 2 person, I fit all my gear inside which is really ideal after doing a similar trip with a solo tent last year.

xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:55 pm

bowhunter15 wrote:I'm posting this from my shelter at 9000 feet in a Colorado wilderness area (strange I get 3g out here). Anyway when I get back I'll upload a complete gear list review that you might find useful. My shelter is a 2 person, I fit all my gear inside which is really ideal after doing a similar trip with a solo tent last year.

Looking forward to your list! Thanks!

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:43 am

xpauliber wrote:
bowhunter15 wrote:I'm posting this from my shelter at 9000 feet in a Colorado wilderness area (strange I get 3g out here). Anyway when I get back I'll upload a complete gear list review that you might find useful. My shelter is a 2 person, I fit all my gear inside which is really ideal after doing a similar trip with a solo tent last year.

Looking forward to your list! Thanks!

Here's the link to the video:

http://thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32274
Zona
500 Club

Unread postby Zona » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:04 pm

XP
Checkout Black Diamond Equipment. I did a good bit of research looking for a tent and purchased a 3 man from them. Very high quality and extremely light.
IkemanTx
500 Club

Unread postby IkemanTx » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:19 pm

As far as tents, I am looking into doing a hammock tent. They are very comfortable, light, and pack down well.

Go where none other dare to go, and there you'll find success.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:21 am

Zona wrote:XP
Checkout Black Diamond Equipment. I did a good bit of research looking for a tent and purchased a 3 man from them. Very high quality and extremely light.

Thanks for the suggestion Zona. I ended up getting a Big Agnes Ripple Creek tent from CamoFire for a pretty good discount. I ended up doing a couple solo trips last spring. I did a big write-up on my first trip that you can check out here if you'd like: http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopic.php?f=191&t=18296&start=15

Also, here are some cool sites that I've found for deals on lightweight gear. Feel free to add to this list!

http://www.kuiu.com/
https://www.massdrop.com/
https://www.camofire.com/
kripp53

Unread postby kripp53 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:16 am

wow, somehow I missed this. What a great trip, I read through your journal and it sounded awesome. I have backpacked a number of different trips anywhere from the Appalachian Trail to Yosemite. Just like hunting gear, always buy quality it will last forever. I have found backpacking to be quite different than hunting in terms of scary situations. Most of my hunts are at the max 2-3 miles from the road. However when I go backpacking for a week I could end up 50 miles from a road. It's a little different if you get into trouble out that far, but that's what makes it fun. My next goal is to do a solo multi-day backpack/hunting trip. Not sure when I will find the time for that but good luck with your future trips, it can get addicting!

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”