Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:27 am

So in the past year and a half I've had 2 major and 2 minor outbreaks from allergic reactions to plants. I assumed it was poison ivy, but am not quite so sure anymore. At any rate, I thought I was doing a pretty safe job when I went to film my video last weekend (visually looking for poison ivy, wearing jeans and long sleeves in 90 degree heat, only went 10 feet into woods to film, took a cold shower after coming home, washing clothes, etc) and nevertheless, I have started to blister on my hands and forearms. It is my understanding that the same urushiol oil is a common ingredient in these types of plants, and I'm looking for a better way to prevent the rashes.

I have read that wiping down with alcohol pads or using hand sanitizer on exposed skin can wipe off the oil after exposure. I've also seen Technu scrub that's supposed to do the same. I've heard of a product called IvyBlock that apparently goes on like sunscreen and dissolves the oil as a preventative measure. Lots of sites recommend washing or showering immediately after exposure. The problem is that I've always got a 45-60 minute drive home before I ever have access to running water. So I'm looking for a more "in the field" stop it before it starts type of thing. Apparently I'm not yet good enough at identifying poison ivy or whatever other plant might be giving me these issues despite studying their identifiers intensely.

Dewey

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:39 am

Are you sure you didn't run into some Wild Parsnip?

Not many people recognize it as poisonous to the skin but it can be pretty nasty. I had a thread on this awhile back.

viewtopic.php?f=162&t=12618&p=151633

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:54 am

Dewey wrote:Are you sure you didn't run into some Wild Parsnip?

Not many people recognize it as poisonous to the skin but it can be pretty nasty. I had a thread on this awhile back.

http://www.thehuntingbeast.com/viewtopi ... 8&p=151633

I'm thinking that's probably what it is. Okay, I'm like 85% sure after reading that thread. It doesn't itch, and the blisters/rash look IDENTICAL to the ones in the link. The field I was walking through had a lot of tall grass and weeds. Probably had some of that in it. Unfortunately, I didn't read anything about how to prevent it other than not coming into contact with sap during daylight. :think: I will keep researching this stuff to find out if there's any kind of topical preventative that helps. I'm going on a camping trip in a couple weeks and don't want to have to worry about it.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 am

Wild parsnip is nasty. The bad thing is, it acts like a burn and gets worse by blistering. You gotta get some cool wet towels over the affected areas. But its not a long term thing like a poison ivy rash.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 am

I'm suffering through my second round of parsnip burns for this year. I've been trying to clear brush and mow thistles. Right now when the parsnip is flowering, just brushing the plant against bare skin is enough for me.

Only preventative measure I know of is to cover yourself: long pants, long sleeves, gloves, etc.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:37 am

This is the 2nd time this year I've gotten it. The first time was scouting early in the spring before anything green had even sprouted. I couldn't believe it. Fortunately it really wasn't that bad that time. The light reaction is kind of interesting. It sounds like as long as the sun doesn't react with it, you won't get the rash. So by using long sleeves, gloves, etc you should be safe until you get home and take a shower. One site even said that using sun screen can help by blocking the UV rays.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:19 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:I'm suffering through my second round of parsnip burns for this year. I've been trying to clear brush and mow thistles. Right now when the parsnip is flowering, just brushing the plant against bare skin is enough for me.

Only preventative measure I know of is to cover yourself: long pants, long sleeves, gloves, etc.

I would break out the herbicide and nail every last one of those parsnip plants. If any more grew up I would hit them before they flower too. Mowing wont kill it, but glysophate.
Last edited by DEERSLAYER on Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: .
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:23 pm

Hand sanitizer works great in the field. I used to use hydrogen peroxide.

hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:31 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:
UntouchableNess wrote:I'm suffering through my second round of parsnip burns for this year. I've been trying to clear brush and mow thistles. Right now when the parsnip is flowering, just brushing the plant against bare skin is enough for me.

I would break out the herbicide and nail every last one of those parsnip plants. If any more grew up I would hit them before they flower too. Mowing wont kill it, but glysophate.

Not sure if the DNR would like me doing that lol.
PeteJ

Unread postby PeteJ » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:46 pm

I use a lotion called Ivy block and it has worked for me!
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:59 pm

If poison ivy...

Get a good,solid,positive ID on the plants and begin looking for it every time you're in the field. Make an effort to actively look for it - and it's various morphs - in spring before the leaves form and watch it as it grows.

Here's the kicker: Deliberately expose yourself to the leaves when they're just starting,and do it every few days until they're nearly full-sized - unless you develop a bad case....Picking wild asparagus can be a good way to have small frequent exposure to the young leaves.

Euell Gibbons - in his book Stalking the Wild Asparagus - mentions EATING the young leaves starting when they're the size of a squirrels ear. I wouldn't go that far but I believe my yearly immunity to poison ivy is attributable to my frequent springtime exposure.

You should have 8 hours grace period' between exposure and "too late" to wash. When I've had extreme exposures - removing trees filled with the P.I. vine,for example - I've come straight home and washed with Fels Naptha soap - available in hardware stores.

BTW,as a child I had several horrible cases. One time (8,maybe nine years old) I used a poison ivy vine to help climb a tree. Once at the top I proceeded to whip out my ---- and pee,yelling "I'm king of the world,and..."...well,you get the idea. I was a kid.... Ushurol on my hands transferred to whatever I touched...

I pretty much ignore all but the worst exposures nowdays and haven't had a case in years. I'm in it often.
bowhunter15

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:19 pm

seeds wrote: BTW,as a child I had several horrible cases. One time (8,maybe nine years old) I used a poison ivy vine to help climb a tree. Once at the top I proceeded to whip out my ---- and pee,yelling "I'm king of the world,and..."...well,you get the idea. I was a kid.... Ushurol on my hands transferred to whatever I touched....

Oh man, that sounds awful!!! :o I thought I had it bad when I used the restroom immediately after completing the Buffalo Wild Wings blazin' challenge lol :lol: . Actually using the bathroom after getting bear spray on my hands was worse. Only lasted a couple miserable hours though.

What's up with the wild asparagus? I'm assuming the leaves must have the urushiol oil as well?
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:23 pm

DEERSLAYER wrote:

My farm would look like ground zero if I used glyphosate!

Even if I went with 2-4D, it would be a futile battle as the stuff is everywhere, in the road ditch, across the road in the neighbors where I can't spray, etc....... I'd go broke buying herbicide.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:15 pm

[quote="bowhunter15.

What's up with the wild asparagus? I'm assuming the leaves must have the urushiol oil as well?[/quote]

No ushurol in the asparagus but several of my best spots have more poison ivy than asparagus. I push the PI around like it's nothing while searching for spears.

Nothing beats a bathtub full of cold water for full body PI rash. I actually got it internally the time I got it peeing from the top of a tree. I remember having to take pills for it.

Kids today don't get to know the family doctor/local ER nurses like kids 40 years ago did.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:25 am

I get it pretty bad in bow season... Started using Tecnu and it works awesome

Apply it after you get home, best within 4 hours... It neutralizes the oil. I have never gotten it when I do this....

If you do forget and get it Iverest works good and getting rid of it but using the tecnu to prevent it is the key...
Make It Happen

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”