Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jmaas07
500 Club

Re: Best methods of preventing poison ivy (or related plants)

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am

ghoasthunter wrote:a good idea if you can is cut the vines in winter on trees you want too use and let them die over summer. you can still get it when its dormant so be carful

Run the saw through something else that isn’t poison ivy after to rub the oils off..next thing you know is next time out handling your saw you get it on your hands and everywhere else :lol:

wolverinebuckman
500 Club

Unread postby wolverinebuckman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:48 am

Dawn does work great. Lather up a washcloth really good with dawn, then put it in a Ziploc and carry it out to the field in my backpack.
Bummer of a birthmark, Hal.
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 am

jmaas07 wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:a good idea if you can is cut the vines in winter on trees you want too use and let them die over summer. you can still get it when its dormant so be carful

Run the saw through something else that isn’t poison ivy after to rub the oils off..next thing you know is next time out handling your saw you get it on your hands and everywhere else :lol:

that's why you burrow your buddies saw lol :think: ill tell you this I worked for a tree company for two years sending poison ivy vines 6 inches thick threw wood chippers I looked like rockey dennis from mask for first 3 months now I barely get it :pray:
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:05 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts

its easy to figure it out you can find it growing in wet areas near poison ivy and stinging nettle it makes a orange pitcher looking flower or a yellow flower. all you do is rub the leaves on your open skin the oils in the plant neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. the biggest problem with poison ivy oil is that it does not wash off easy imagine the oil like black grease you get on your yourself working on a car. dawn dish soap and a wet rag wash from elbows down pay attention to the sensitive parts on arms and between fingers. another thing that might work and this is coming from my buddy whos a dairy farmer is drink raw milk from cows or goats that eat poison ivy.

Yeah I knew it was like grease. You can actually use friction and a dry cloth only to remove it from your skin. Problem with jewelweed is that I hunt lots in the winter. If I touch a vine with it dormant I’ll get it
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:08 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:cover skin in jewel weed before touching it and wash with a degreasing soap and wash cloth when you get home

I’ve tried to identify jewelweed but haven’t been able to do so. I’m not great at that stuff by surely it grows in Alabama

I get this stuff bad. Poison ivy is all over the swamps and I’ve resorted to ground hunting because of this. It’s so prevalent I can’t climb hardly anything.

Has anyone ever heard of Rhus Tox 30X. Supposedly you take it for a month or so before you go out in the woods and it prevents breakouts

its easy to figure it out you can find it growing in wet areas near poison ivy and stinging nettle it makes a orange pitcher looking flower or a yellow flower. all you do is rub the leaves on your open skin the oils in the plant neutralize the oils in the poison ivy. the biggest problem with poison ivy oil is that it does not wash off easy imagine the oil like black grease you get on your yourself working on a car. dawn dish soap and a wet rag wash from elbows down pay attention to the sensitive parts on arms and between fingers. another thing that might work and this is coming from my buddy whos a dairy farmer is drink raw milk from cows or goats that eat poison ivy.

Yeah I knew it was like grease. You can actually use friction and a dry cloth only to remove it from your skin. Problem with jewelweed is that I hunt lots in the winter. If I touch a vine with it dormant I’ll get it

you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:17 am

ghoasthunter wrote:you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer

I’ll look next year. I just read of people soaking it in vodka too and using it to clean off with. Still it’s gonna be a mess hunting out of trees with vines. No way I can use sticks and assault. Maybe an assault hand climber but then it will get on my tether rope
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:26 am

checkerfred wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:you can collect it all summer make a bunch of small bags vacuum seal it and keep it in freezer

I’ll look next year. I just read of people soaking it in vodka too and using it to clean off with. Still it’s gonna be a mess hunting out of trees with vines. No way I can use sticks and assault. Maybe an assault hand climber but then it will get on my tether rope

what about Dans step ladder trick you could put that thing in grass and construct some kind of pop up grass blind
checkerfred
500 Club

Unread postby checkerfred » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:07 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:
checkerfred wrote:

what about Dans step ladder trick you could put that thing in grass and construct some kind of pop up grass blind

Our swamps are hardwood bottoms. Not hardly any cattail type Marsh stuff. Mostly hardwoods and some pines. Plus I like to be mobile and move around. Some places I go in blind and I never carry a stand unless I need a sight advantage
Ashreve93

Unread postby Ashreve93 » Sun May 06, 2018 10:02 am

Seems like everyone has this pretty well covered, I just wanted to add some treatment advice. This treatment is for poison ivy and the like. I'm unsure about Wild parsnip. I get it really bad, so ill have to cut the blisters open before taking a cold shower; but when i notice a rash starting, I use fels naptha, the laundry detergent, to take a cold shower with. Then, i spray the infected area with ivy dry.

As far as prevention, I started using rubber boots. I only got it 3 times last year when i was nearly daily walking next to creeks and swamps. The previous year I had it non stop through the whole summer. What an awful year. The rubber boots had to do something.

Good luck!
It's not the destination, it's the journey getting there!
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Sun May 06, 2018 3:00 pm

checkerfred wrote:

I keep the rhus tox handy but have never taken the preventive dosage. I never can remember to take anything daily like that. I’ll start taking it if I get into some poison ivy good to help it clear up. Normally I’ll take a white wash rag and a little bleach soaked in it to a rash. Rub til it burns a little. That normally kicks it after one treatment. If the rash is in the sensitive places like down under I will pass on the bleach treatment. Replacing an itch with a burn down there ain’t worth it.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:55 am

I just broke out again with something. My buddy and I scouted some remote islands in the cattails. All either of us noticed walking through was head high cattails and willows. But both of us broke out with something on our forearms, mine being much worse. Just reinforces the need for me to wear long sleeves and pants when I go bushwacking in the summer.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:59 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I just broke out again with something. My buddy and I scouted some remote islands in the cattails. All either of us noticed walking through was head high cattails and willows. But both of us broke out with something on our forearms, mine being much worse. Just reinforces the need for me to wear long sleeves and pants when I go bushwacking in the summer.

Sounds like you and I have the same issues...I cannot go into the woods with short sleeves in the summer. I've been able to mitigate the risk of breakouts by using the following system:

- Always wear long sleeves and pants
- Bring dude wipes to wipe down once I get back to my car if I feel I got into something
- Change my shirt when I get back to my car so I don't transfer any oils to my seat or center console
- Immediately wash forearms when i get home with Dawn and something with some grit to it to remove the oils
- Take shower and wash scouting clothes

I had such a bad reaction when I was younger (pulled PI vines out of brush while working landscaping job) that I was taken out of school for a number of days. It looked like I had been burned on my forearms and chest.

Ever since then I have been very sensitive to the PI oil....it sucks
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Wash your clothes in hot water with your detergent when you get home along with a shower. Dont wait around to do so. Also are you wearing boots or shoes. If you have it on your shoes then touch them with your hands your long sleeve and jeans wont do anything to help you. Some of the worst cases of poison ivy i ever heard was from rabbit hunters skinning the rabbits. It messed them up bad with it. Who would ever think right?
Anything with alcohol will open your pours and allow the oil to enter easier. Fyi
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 am

bowhunter15 wrote:I just broke out again with something. My buddy and I scouted some remote islands in the cattails. All either of us noticed walking through was head high cattails and willows. But both of us broke out with something on our forearms, mine being much worse. Just reinforces the need for me to wear long sleeves and pants when I go bushwacking in the summer.

Ok, this is a fairly old thread, but I think what you ran into was poison sumac. I was (am) thinking about going to a particular swamp in the far southern part of WI and it’s said that poison sumac is prevalent. Did a bit more research and apparently the stuff loves marshy and swampy areas.

Just thought I’d share in the event someone searches...

https://www.oralivy.com/poison-sumac/

https://oaklandcountyblog.com/2014/09/0 ... rk-secret/
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”