Heat emergencies...

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Heat emergencies...

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:16 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
Ruger wrote:Happened to me this weekend.

Slight dizziness, tingling in my hands and feet, rapid short breathing, HOT. I put bags of ice under my armpits and behind my neck and it was flowing water from melting so quickly when it touched my skin. Drank two big bottles of Gatorade and put the air condition on in the truck. After about 15 minutes (when temp came down) I was freezing so bad my teeth were chattering and it was 90+ outside.

Not a good feeling. It has happened three times in 5 years and each time I say I won't go in the woods in August!

Thats scary stuff there. Just an FYI, gatorade really doesn't help much. Gatorade has too much sugar. Sipping, not chugging water is the best you can do. Once you are showing the symptoms of dehydration, its a little to late to try to re-hydrate. Get in some shade or indoors to cool down and loosen tight clothing. Call 911 if you have to. Its tough when you are alone when this strikes. Having someone there to reassure can help alot too.

Great advice... I always recommend cutting sports drinks in half with water for those that love them, for the reasons Crazinamatese mentioned. You can still get some electrolyte benefit that way, but the water is what's most important. 8-)

Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:42 am

This one strikes home with me. Northern guy relocates to FL and has to deal with heat work in daily at times. I dislike the heat. 2 days ago the mercury hit 87 and it is March. Nuts!

I know that once I stop sweating, it is past time to take a break, drink some water and few moments later you start sweating again.

What I've come up with is not pushing it, frequent breaks, and drinking plenty of water along with coconut water. You've seen it at the grocery store. Cuts way down on muscle cramps the next day. Better than Gator aide.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:46 am

Rich M wrote:This one strikes home with me. Northern guy relocates to FL and has to deal with heat work in daily at times. I dislike the heat. 2 days ago the mercury hit 87 and it is March. Nuts!

I know that once I stop sweating, it is past time to take a break, drink some water and few moments later you start sweating again.

What I've come up with is not pushing it, frequent breaks, and drinking plenty of water along with coconut water. You've seen it at the grocery store. Cuts way down on muscle cramps the next day. Better than Gator aide.

I'm behind the times on coconut water, I haven't looked into it at all. Anyone have good info on the benefits, it sounds like it must be loaded with Potassium?
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:56 am

I walk miles in the heat every year for my job. Gatorade and sitting in the shade frequently are my best friends. I take two 32 oz gatorades everyday to work in the summer. You can buy them for a dollar a piece at dollar general. And stay away from coffee in the heat

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 am

I work as a utility lineman in Texas and it gets pretty hot in the summer. We wear a lot of rubber protective clothing over layers of FR clothing..one thing I've found that helps in the middle of summer is drinking pedialyte and water at night to help hydrate for the next day.

If you plan on beeing in the heat try to make sure your hydrated the night before.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:24 am

Heat exhaustion was a constant problem in the summer in Afghanistan where it was common to hit 140F. I administered more IVs then I can count. Some times multiples a day and I was not a medic just a CLS (think squad based first responder). I see a few cases here in Florida every summer, but for the most part people here realize the dangers. The biggest issues is the tourist in the summer. I know a guy that works at an aid station at mouseland and he stays busy during the summer months. Beaches are another hot spot, but most here in florida have pretty well trained life guards.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Re: Heat emergancies...

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:33 am

Crazinamatese wrote:
dan wrote:Has anyone here had issues with heat problems? Or helped others with heat emergancys?

Yes, several while in the Army Infantry. Most of the heat casualties I have seen started with either vomiting, or fainting. Usually the symptoms were already there, but many guys try to suck it up and then eventually succumb to it a short time later by passing out or puking. Never seen any deaths due to it. But have seen guys get real messed up from it. We usually had a medic with us or a guy in the squad trained with CLS (combat life saver) training that can put in an IV of lactated ringers and provide proper care. I never had been a full blown heat casualty before, but came close in 2004 at Camp Shelby MS during an obstacle course exercise in 90+ degree temps with extremely high humidity. I got very light headed, and my heart was beating irregularly fast. That was the same year about 4 of our guys went down with heat exhaustion in about 45 minutes during training. I have noticed the chances for heat exhaustion go way up when the humidity is very high. It literally sucks the water out of your body.

We were at Shelby in 05. Seen a few there as well, but not near as many as when we stepped foot in the sandbox. The Pennsylvania guys were there at the same time and tons of them when down early and we were actually bumped up and into rotation a year early because they could maintain combat readiness primarily due to the heat or at least that is what we were told as to why we got bumped up a year early in the rotation.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:04 pm

I'm a with Jphunter on this one with rubber gloves and FR clothing down here in Florida. Keys to the heat is eat light, lots of water, lots of fruit. Watermelon is great and it comes in season right as it gets blistering hot. Get out early and lay out in the afternoon. Keep the sun off your skin. If your skin burns you lose more energy. If your long sleeve cotton shirts gets sweaty it helps keep you cool. Drink lots of water at night. You drink tonight for tomorrow. Remember if you don't have to pee you are not drinking enough.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Crazinamatese

Re: Heat emergancies...

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Tufrthnails wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:
dan wrote:Has anyone here had issues with heat problems? Or helped others with heat emergancys?

Yes, several while in the Army Infantry. Most of the heat casualties I have seen started with either vomiting, or fainting. Usually the symptoms were already there, but many guys try to suck it up and then eventually succumb to it a short time later by passing out or puking. Never seen any deaths due to it. But have seen guys get real messed up from it. We usually had a medic with us or a guy in the squad trained with CLS (combat life saver) training that can put in an IV of lactated ringers and provide proper care. I never had been a full blown heat casualty before, but came close in 2004 at Camp Shelby MS during an obstacle course exercise in 90+ degree temps with extremely high humidity. I got very light headed, and my heart was beating irregularly fast. That was the same year about 4 of our guys went down with heat exhaustion in about 45 minutes during training. I have noticed the chances for heat exhaustion go way up when the humidity is very high. It literally sucks the water out of your body.

We were at Shelby in 05. Seen a few there as well, but not near as many as when we stepped foot in the sandbox. The Pennsylvania guys were there at the same time and tons of them when down early and we were actually bumped up and into rotation a year early because they could maintain combat readiness primarily due to the heat or at least that is what we were told as to why we got bumped up a year early in the rotation.

For us, they took a whole battalion of northwoods guys and put them in the tropical backwoods of southern Mississippi at the peak of summer in 2004. Kinda a recipe for a heat casualty disaster. lol. Our unit attached to a Cav unit from TN and we were the very first wartime rotation to mobilize out of Shelby since Desert Storm. (BTW, If you weren't allowed to drink or party during your Mob, we ruined it for other units after we rotated out of there. We partied too hard. lol) We got to Iraq in late November that year and daytime temps in the 70's and 60's during the winter there. Not bad at all. But we also had the opportunity to acclimate into the summer which was the most miserable heat I have experienced. Luckily there are no mountains in central Iraq and most of our patrols were mounted. All crew serve weapons stayed on the gun trucks. Zero heat casualties while in country :dance:
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:06 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:
Rich M wrote:This one strikes home with me. Northern guy relocates to FL and has to deal with heat work in daily at times. I dislike the heat. 2 days ago the mercury hit 87 and it is March. Nuts!

I'm behind the times on coconut water, I haven't looked into it at all. Anyone have good info on the benefits, it sounds like it must be loaded with Potassium?

11 oz container:

60 calories
80 mg sodium (natural)
700 mg potassium
14 g carbs / 13 g sugar
5% calcium
3% phosphorus
10% magnesium

It helps keep me from cramping at night and the next day.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:11 am

Coconut water is very good, I drink it frequently for the muscle pain because I hate bananas.

As far as heat emergencies a couple years ago I had a rescue helicopter come right over the tree tops and nearly blow me out of the stand. Turns out they were life flighting a guy out of the woods who had a heat stroke, pretty crazy.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:12 am

Once you have had an episode of heat stroke you are more suspectible to a reoccurance.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”