First Aid Kit

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: First Aid Kit

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:30 am

I think you can carry a whole backpack full of survival supplies, but if it is not ON YOUR PERSON when the stuff hits the fan, it is no good.

I somewhat agree, but when you are camping in the wilderness of Northern Minnesota, or Ontario, or ??? There is no hostpital, or store, or people to help, and the "backpack" full of supplies comes in handy when someone in camp gets hurt.

Goober

Unread postby Goober » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:39 am

100% agree Dan. And I often pack and have that stuff in camp. My point was more along the line of:

When you leave that camp in Ontario, that Nalgene bottle goes with me. With those items, I can survive a few nights if needed, until the guys find me or I can make it back to camp.

Or on a canoe trip in the Boundary waters, you have a first aid/survival kit in the canoe. When I get to a long portage, the first trip is with a backpack, the canoe stays behind. I make sure I keep my small day pack, with my nalgene survival kit, with me for each trip in case I dont make it back.

Point is: When you get in a wilderness setting, where help is farther then a good yell or scream away, you had better have those few items ON YOUR PERSON, all the time, and know how to use them. If you are hunting from a camp in Ontario, an entire ambulance full of Advanced Life Support equipment does you no good when you are tracking a bear and get lossed and break a leg, alone, and no one knows where you are.

That was more what I was getting at.
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:52 pm

One thing I have found useful over the years is bandanas, throw a couple in the pack or tie to various gear like your bow,stand whatever. They can be very handy especially in a emergency.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:00 pm

Great thread lots of good ideas. I always have a first aid kit in the truck. I think I'll move it into the back pack after reading this thread.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:32 pm

I have a nice one in my pickup truck that I got courtesy of Uncle Sam. It was past due date so they were going to pitch a never been opened, metal cased first aid kit. It has everything in there and I have used it many many times. Asprin, butterfly, knuckle, bandages, tweezers, scissors, ace wraps, instant cold packs, assortment of tapes, antiseptics, water purifier tabletss, etc. It's awesome. It is a little big but it's flat so it stores very easily. Probably 20"x15" or so. Maybe a hair bigger. I have removed some stuff and added things. I have added large wound dressings, Chem-lights, Head lamp, clamping pliers, and a few other things that slip my mind right now. I had the room for it in the box, better to have it than wish I did. I did have a suture kit but I lost it somewhere a few years ago. Never did replace it.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Brad

Unread postby Brad » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:30 am

I need to come up with something for scouting and hunting just in case. I think I will carry a space blanket, a lighter, my hunting knife, my pistol, and flashlights and band aids. I am also thinking of getting a snake bite kit and a whistle. Just something that fits in a small pocket on my fanny pack, but could make things a lot better in a worst case scenario.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:33 am

Hunters that are on medication for a variety of maladies will need to be prepared as well. A first aid kit is one potential place for the meds., whether it is a large kit in the truck or a portable kit in the field...

A lot of hunters get in trouble in the field without their meds- they feel great when they leave the truck but the demands of hunting as an activity sometimes gets them into trouble while deep in the field.

An Army Ranger acquaintence of mine always keeps his Epi pen in the breast pocket of his uniform when in the field, or moves it to another pocket when needed. The important thing is to have your meds with you if you have a condition that may require their use- even if the chances are slim.

My EMS agency picks up hunters that get into trouble this way every year... if you take into consideration all of the counties in my home state, start adding in other states... there's quite a few hunters that get into trouble this way.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:55 am

I have a few pressure dressings in my first aid kit called the Israeli bandage. Just incase I need to use it, or on another individual while out in the woods. I acquired a couple of these while in the Army. We used them in Iraq, and have them in my first aid kit at home now. Probably the best pressure dressing I have seen. Check it out. http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05130
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:19 am

Crazinamatese wrote:I have a few pressure dressings in my first aid kit called the Israeli bandage. Just incase I need to use it, or on another individual while out in the woods. I acquired a couple of these while in the Army. We used them in Iraq, and have them in my first aid kit at home now. Probably the best pressure dressing I have seen. Check it out. http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05130

While looking at the bandage link you posted I noticed they were recommending duct tape as a medical emergency product down at the bottom of the page... Thats interesting, but I bet it would be very useful in an emergency.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:51 am

I can see duct being used maybe to apply pressure to a bleeding wound, or securing or modifying a splint. I guess if that is the only thing to use then why not. Duct tape does have many uses.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Farrier

Unread postby Farrier » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:00 pm

I have a fair first aid kit with snakebite kit, and epi pens, etc. But the add in that I find I use the most is a tube of crazy glue, able to close a slicing wound with amazing ease, wash out the wound, squirt some glue onto the slice and press the sides together, don't put it into the wound, it will keep skin tabs in place, ends of finger tips for instance, without stopping the blood flow... if you stop the blood flow the skin can die, but by tacking down the tip and then using a finger stall or some duct tape, you can continue to function get yourself back to better medical facilities.
"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one".

James Anthony Froude
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:02 pm

That survival kit of rancid's on the first page is worth a bump! awesome! 8-)
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:46 am

Agree!!! Bump again!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Every time I look at that first aid kit I am impressed all over again. Even the deck of cards makes sense and the psychology behind it.

Even if you don't take it in the woods, having it in your cabin / tent / truck or wherever gives you or your buddies the ability to make an emergency response to the injured hunter... strap it on and go.
RogueMedic87

Unread postby RogueMedic87 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:I have a few pressure dressings in my first aid kit called the Israeli bandage. Just incase I need to use it, or on another individual while out in the woods. I acquired a couple of these while in the Army. We used them in Iraq, and have them in my first aid kit at home now. Probably the best pressure dressing I have seen. Check it out. http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/05130

The IBD is perfect for hunting! I usually take an IBD and call it good unless I'm on public land, I'll take a CAT tourniquet as well. Below is a link to an ankle med kit that's good for hunting or EDC.
http://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue ... oCzarw_wcB

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”