Does this sound like frostbite?

Chat about surviving, preventing, and being prepared for emergencies in the Outdoors
  • Advertisement

HB Store

bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Does this sound like frostbite?

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:07 am

Albeit extremely minor...

I was wearing glo-mits on my bowhunt and the whole time I was holding my bow my bare fingers were holding the cold metal. I proceeded to take down the stand, gut and drag the deer with either no gloves or the fingers exposed, periodically stopping to blow warm air on them to help fight the cold.

Yesterday the fingertips on my bow hand, especially my pinky, felt a bit numb, and this morning I noticed they are a little blotchy with redness, but you have to really look to notice it.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Does this sound like frostbite?

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:25 am

I think your fine... Frostbite is usually more severe than that. Keep an eye on it and if it starts turning black or grey, they start worrying. In a few days I think your fingers will be back to normal.
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:53 am

I think Dan's advice is sound, but I would be careful not to let your fingers get so cold in the future. You don't have to get frostbite to get damage from the cold.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
Czabs
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Behind-T ... 0697772652

Unread postby Czabs » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Yea i screwed up my fingers and the circulation in my hands on some stupid ski trip back when I was in school. Every time I go hunting late season I wish I never would have went to stupid Nordic Mountain. Need hand warmers and extra hand warmers are always a must. It sucks.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:18 pm

Czabs wrote:Yea i screwed up my fingers and the circulation in my hands on some stupid ski trip back when I was in school. Every time I go hunting late season I wish I never would have went to stupid Nordic Mountain. Need hand warmers and extra hand warmers are always a must. It sucks.

Similar experience but with my toes, and not skiing LOL but the same thing when the temps start dropping no matter what I am wearing for boots/socks my toes are seriously sensitive to the cold and it doesn't take long for them to start hurting.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:32 am

Yea, my toes and fingers seem like they've always been sensitive to the cold to begin with. I thought my dad had a stash of handwarmers in the basement that morning but turns out he didn't.

So I went to Fleet Farm and bought a giant pack of 24 warmers that were only a few bucks after the $3 coupon for the deer hide. One thing I've noticed though is that you have to open them up and let them warm up in warm air before you go outside. Every time I've tried opening up hand warmers in the field or on the ice they never work. :snooty:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 am

bowhunter15 wrote:Yea, my toes and fingers seem like they've always been sensitive to the cold to begin with. I thought my dad had a stash of handwarmers in the basement that morning but turns out he didn't.

So I went to Fleet Farm and bought a giant pack of 24 warmers that were only a few bucks after the $3 coupon for the deer hide. One thing I've noticed though is that you have to open them up and let them warm up in warm air before you go outside. Every time I've tried opening up hand warmers in the field or on the ice they never work. :snooty:

I always open mine as I'm loading the truck to head out to hunt then they ride on the dash to get "active". Plus riding with them in your boots to the field leads to sweaty toes.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:10 am

Hands, I use a muff. Feet I use toe warmers. You gotta stay warm, that's part of the game.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 am

Stanley wrote:Hands, I use a muff. Feet I use toe warmers. You gotta stay warm, that's part of the game.

I use a muff as well with a large handwarmer pack so I only use thin cloth gloves. Pretty sure I had some frostbite awhile back when packing up my stand in -10 temps. Still have numbness and extreme sensitivity on a few fingertips with the least little bit of cold.

Now any sign of cold fingers and I stick my hands in the toasty handwarmer muff and I'm warmed up in no time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Outdoor Survival”