Archery Turkey

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dumas1dr

Archery Turkey

Unread postby Dumas1dr » Thu May 06, 2021 9:00 am

I was wondering what everyone is using for turkey broadheads. I hit two birds with rage turkey broadheads and have had both run far enough onto public that I couldn't retrieve. One was hit low, and the other i thought was placed damn near perfect. I am going to Magnus Guillotine Style. What's everyone luck with those or similar style? I am hunting a very small parcel near private so I can't afford to have them running too far.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Archery Turkey

Unread postby Tim H » Thu May 06, 2021 9:59 am

I am using NAP mechanical. The last bird I shot was with a spitfire. But I’m also using a killzone max.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu May 06, 2021 10:40 am

I shot one in the body with a slick trick. Shot looked good but the bird ran off never to be seen again. Decided to try the Magnus bullheads but couldn't get them to fly worth a darn past ten yards. Tried a bunch of different arrow setups and got frustrated and gave up on them. Then i went and shot a turkey in the head with a slick trick and that worked exceptionally well. Think I'll stick to head shots with fixed heads. You either miss or kill them.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu May 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:I shot one in the body with a slick trick. Shot looked good but the bird ran off never to be seen again. Decided to try the Magnus bullheads but couldn't get them to fly worth a darn past ten yards. Tried a bunch of different arrow setups and got frustrated and gave up on them. Then i went and shot a turkey in the head with a slick trick and that worked exceptionally well. Think I'll stick to head shots with fixed heads. You either miss or kill them.

This made me laugh :lol:
Dumas1dr

Unread postby Dumas1dr » Fri May 07, 2021 12:01 am

Tim H wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:I shot one in the body with a slick trick. Shot looked good but the bird ran off never to be seen again. Decided to try the Magnus bullheads but couldn't get them to fly worth a darn past ten yards. Tried a bunch of different arrow setups and got frustrated and gave up on them. Then i went and shot a turkey in the head with a slick trick and that worked exceptionally well. Think I'll stick to head shots with fixed heads. You either miss or kill them.

This made me laugh :lol:

Hahahah that is great!
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 am

Dead Ringer!
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Fri May 07, 2021 7:06 am

I’ve killed a couple with the grim reaper whitetail specials. I could never get the bullheads to fly past 20 yards...then I just put it down and picked the scattergun back up.
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri May 07, 2021 9:08 am

I always liked wasp jackhammers for birds. But I’ve killed them with G5 T3’s and slick tricks. Those big jackhammers put a lot of energy into the hit. I’ve never had an arrow not pass through though. Turkeys a tough. I’ve never had an expandable be salvageable after going through where you need to hit them.
I would like to add, if you hit it in a bad spot it doesn’t matter what head you shot because your odds of finding a wounded bird that flew is pretty low.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”