Turkey Season: Who’s excited!!!!

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Forkhorn

Turkey Season: Who’s excited!!!!

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:26 am

Who’s ready to go chase some gobblers!! I can’t wait, it has been on my mind the past month and I can’t stop thinking about it!! Turkey hunting is something I just started doing a few years ago, but I was able to take my first bird last year.
Any tips and tactics for hunting flat Ag land?

peteherbst

Re: Turkey Season: Who’s excited!!!!

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:25 pm

I’m jacked. Been watching turkey videos for the last month it seems like. As far as gobblers go on flat at land, your best bet will be roosting them the night prior and sneaking in before first light in the morning and catch them off the roost.

GOBBLE GOBBLE!!
“You have to pay your dues”
Luke Carpenter

Unread postby Luke Carpenter » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:14 am

I'm super excited! I've had the calls out for a while now. If you have permission to hunt the fields or lots of them. Turkeys like to fly down into a field or open areas close to a field in the morning and fly up from the field to roost if there's good trees near the edge. So scouting the fields to see which ones the birds like is a must. They usually do about the same thing every day unless something big changes so if you see them come out in a corner it's a pretty safe bet to set up there. You want to figure out where they're roosting and get between them and where they've been heading. Fields work great because Toms can strut and be seen by hens, they also like feeding in them and if its dry they dust in the right field. If it's a freshly planted corn field they love to eat the corn before it grows. And once it starts to grow towards the end of the season they love to eat the bugs out there. If the field is perfect some turkeys will stay within a couple hundred yards of the field all day so if you know they're in the area be patient. It also is a good idea to be setup in the woods a little bit not right on the edge of the field. Scouting to see what fields they're in and like to use would be my number 1 priority. Hope ya get a big ol' long beard this spring.
Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:27 am

20 wake ups left for us in MS. Last few seasons have been very slow for the first week or two, but we seem to be looking at an early spring so they should be ready from the start.

If you haven’t watched all the videos from the Pinhoti Project last year, it’s very, very good turkey hunting in my opinion.
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:34 am

We don't have much longer here in MS. Can't wait!!
GWsaddleuser

Unread postby GWsaddleuser » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:35 am

We don't have much longer here in MS. Can't wait!!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:15 am

Not much longer in TN either. I get fired up for some thunder chicken now :L: :L: :L: I have been walking around clucking and gobbling last week or so. :lol: :lol:
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:31 am

Still a while for us. Ohio's youth season opens April 13 and PA's is the following Saturday, so it is still a ways away. Hope it gets here soon.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:13 pm

T-season.
That means tick season for me...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
JWandling
Facebook: Jason Wandling

Unread postby JWandling » Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:53 pm

I’m pretty excited to go this spring. I didn’t go at all last year. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve got a turkey. Season opener is April 15 but I have elbow surgery May 7 so hopefully I can get one early.
northeast beast

Unread postby northeast beast » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:29 am

May 1st starter here so we have a little bit yet but I am pretty excited. It is a weird transition I think deer hunting all year but right about March 1st I start seeing birds and my brain makes the switch off from the deer and lock on the birds.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:00 am

I used to Turkey hunt till I saw videos of them eating snakes which I greatly appreciate.

I stopped hunting them after that.

Turkeys save lives.
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:41 am

Can't wait...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:14 am

In addition to glassing I like to listen at dawn and dusk to confirm roosting areas and look for Tom tracks and dropping’s. I usually start 3-4 weeks before the season.
Keep in mind a lot of the time flocks are breaking up and the turkeys are spreading out right as the season is coming in.
If you have access to more land than you have time to scout I would narrow it down by looking for whatever resource there is the least of roosting, food, water, nesting cover strutting areas extra.
Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:47 pm

northeast beast wrote:May 1st starter here so we have a little bit yet but I am pretty excited. It is a weird transition I think deer hunting all year but right about March 1st I start seeing birds and my brain makes the switch off from the deer and lock on the birds.

Yeah, I’m the same way. Got deer hunting on the mind all year then all of the sudden, something flips a switch, and turkey hunting consumes me!! Lol.

Good luck to all heading out after some gobblers!!! I gotta wait till April 17 so it can’t come fast enough!! Thanks for the tips guys, I’ll try to keep posting about my hunts as the season starts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”