Robins and other birds are struggling after April snowstorms.

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dewey

Robins and other birds are struggling after April snowstorms.

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:08 am

Not looking good. https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/loc ... 524898002/

Been seeing a lot of dead robins around and the one's still alive are looking really bad and just hanging out on the roads. They will not be having any luck digging for worms anytime soon. Been putting out berries and such hoping to help them out. So far no takers here at home and they have seemed to disappear. Hopefully they didn't all die. Maybe they headed back south.

stash59

Re: Robins and other birds are struggling after April snowstorms.

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:30 am

Yeah I have been noticing alot of robins on the roads lately. Even a few dead ones. Had tons of seed eating birds at the bird feeders during and right after the big snowstorm. At Lil' Bro's.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:53 am

Go to fleet farm and get meal worms... You need to take a snow shovel and clear a spot on your lawn, that will attract the robins, then have the meal worms on a board or pc of cardboard in the middle of the opening...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:05 am

Great idea Dan. I had a robin checking out some rasberries I threw in the driveway but no interest. The robin walked right past them pecking at the grass on the edge.

The snow is dropping pretty quick. I noticed the last hour or so they are pecking in the dirt that’s starting to show. Down the street one of my neighbors has a tree still full of berries from fall. There were about 20 robins around that tree and hovering picking them off the branches. Didn’t see any earlier but now they are all over. Some look healthy and others are looking pretty rough especially the smaller ones.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:08 am

Sucks that mother nature is being this rough on the critters this year. I'm hoping the deer herd can endure it.
MN_DeerHunter
500 Club

Unread postby MN_DeerHunter » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 am

We've been feeding the birds all winter and we had a robin in the backyard the other day feeding on some of the grain/ seed type stuff. He didn't hang around too long though. Hopefully by next week they will get a break with the warmer weather coming...
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:08 pm

Saw a robin building a nest on a snow covered branch this morning. Crazy weather, breaking all kinds of high low temps. Sick of it for sure.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:27 am

As bad as I hate snakes, I believe I’ll take them over that much snow in April. I get cold thinking about it :lol:
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:32 pm

Stanley wrote:Saw a robin building a nest on a snow covered branch this morning. Crazy weather, breaking all kinds of high low temps. Sick of it for sure.

Every year I have a robin build a nest on top of my patio motion light. Doesn’t seem to bother her when it goes on and off and think she actually enjoys the heat it gives off. Usually by now the nest is being built but so far nothing. Good to see they are eating the fresh rasberries I put out. The snow cover should drop rapidly this weekend. Already seeing some bare grass and they are already searching for worms in the open patches. Gotta be much tougher from the middle of the state and north.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm

I've noticed more Robins in my area this spring than I've seen since I was a kid. Wonder if some of yalls had enough of that snow and cut bait to move south. Or it was just a heck of a good hatch past year or so.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:10 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I've noticed more Robins in my area this spring than I've seen since I was a kid. Wonder if some of yalls had enough of that snow and cut bait to move south. Or it was just a heck of a good hatch past year or so.

Could be they stayed south much longer. We finally lost our snow cover here so the robins are doing much better now. Been seeing them pulling worms up in the yard as soon as the grass started showing. The frost was already out of the ground before the last snowstorm so that helped a lot.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 pm

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I've noticed more Robins in my area this spring than I've seen since I was a kid. Wonder if some of yalls had enough of that snow and cut bait to move south. Or it was just a heck of a good hatch past year or so.

Could be they stayed south much longer. We finally lost our snow cover here so the robins are doing much better now. Been seeing them pulling worms up in the yard as soon as the grass started showing. The frost was already out of the ground before the last snowstorm so that helped a lot.

Been a strange spring here thus far as well. Usually water temps are in mid 80s by now, this year its still in the low 60s. Night time temps in mid 40s when usually 70s are the average most years. Got me scratching my head and has made fishing a bit tough.
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:13 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Been a strange spring here thus far as well. Usually water temps are in mid 80s by now, this year its still in the low 60s. Night time temps in mid 40s when usually 70s are the average most years. Got me scratching my head and has made fishing a bit tough.

Mid 80's for water temp?? I used to work at a local park as a lifeguard and when the water got past 80 it felt like you were taking a bath instead of swimming. I'd break a sweat swimming laps in that stuff :lol:

How warm does the water get down there?
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:04 am

Jonny wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Mid 80's for water temp?? I used to work at a local park as a lifeguard and when the water got past 80 it felt like you were taking a bath instead of swimming. I'd break a sweat swimming laps in that stuff :lol:

How warm does the water get down there?

Mid 80s in the shallows, main lake around 76. It gets plenty toasty. Let just say come mid August I think u could cook spaghetti in it.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”