Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Anyone know who the "Dan" of duck hunting would be?

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:45 am

Check to see if your state has a duck hunting organization - that way you'll end up meeting folks with similar interests and maybe find a few buds to hunt ducks with. As a rule duck hunters seem to like to share with folks - and fight over hunting spots. :lol:

JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:07 am

Speaking of finding ducks while deer hunting.. These guys wouldn’t shut up while I was making a morning deer hunt. Got in there the next 2 mornings and shot back to back 2 man limits of mallards. Almost unheard of in south LA public. Surprisingly not 1 wood duck came in either morning.

Bonus points for rocking the Thlete..
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Duck hunting is more of who has the most money and the best location (flyway) compared to others. At least everyone has a chance to shoot a Booner, P&Y deer but duck hunting if you're not in a major flyway it's really spinning your tires for nothing

Unfortunately duck hunting is beginning to consume me along with deer hunting so it's conflicting interests, but duck hunting is not financially forgiving by any means. It's not a blue collar mans sport. At least when deer experience pressure, they don't fly away. They also don't migrate thousands of miles.

But Dennis Loosier Aka "Dr. Duck" is supposed to be the "Dan Infalt" of duck hunting... But he's in a major Texas flyway with probably a six figure sponsorship with Sitka, Yeti etc.... Give any Beast member 1/3 of his sponsorship and I promise they'll out-do most 'Pro' hunters.

I'll end my rant by saying deer hunting hasn't experienced the craze that duck hunting has after Duck Dynasty came about... So the pressure has increased tremendously. I've only had one argument with another deer hunter in a parking lot after years of hunting public and those guys told us another spot to hunt after strong-arming us off of "our" spot for the evening. We also doubled up in said spot. Meanwhile duck hunting public I've personally almost been involved in 3 fist fights and been cussed out multiple times after only 3 seasons of hunting public waters... Even after spending thousands of dollars per season we still fight with guides trying to hunt blinds we bought exclusive rights for. Duck hunting is an awesome experience, but recently the pressure has made it a huge pain.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:09 am

Twenty Up wrote:Duck hunting is more of who has the most money and the best location (flyway) compared to others. At least everyone has a chance to shoot a Booner, P&Y deer but duck hunting if you're not in a major flyway it's really spinning your tires for nothing

Unfortunately duck hunting is beginning to consume me along with deer hunting so it's conflicting interests, but duck hunting is not financially forgiving by any means. It's not a blue collar mans sport. At least when deer experience pressure, they don't fly away. They also don't migrate thousands of miles.

But Dennis Loosier Aka "Dr. Duck" is supposed to be the "Dan Infalt" of duck hunting... But he's in a major Texas flyway with probably a six figure sponsorship with Sitka, Yeti etc.... Give any Beast member 1/3 of his sponsorship and I promise they'll out-do most 'Pro' hunters.

I'll end my rant by saying deer hunting hasn't experienced the craze that duck hunting has after Duck Dynasty came about... So the pressure has increased tremendously. I've only had one argument with another deer hunter in a parking lot after years of hunting public and those guys told us another spot to hunt after strong-arming us off of "our" spot for the evening. We also doubled up in said spot. Meanwhile duck hunting public I've personally almost been involved in 3 fist fights and been cussed out multiple times after only 3 seasons of hunting public waters... Even after spending thousands of dollars per season we still fight with guides trying to hunt blinds we bought exclusive rights for. Duck hunting is an awesome experience, but recently the pressure has made it a huge pain.

First off, I'll second the early Duck Commander videos, they were great. Once they had the actual show Duck Commander, slipped a little, then quickly went downhill as they got richer and had more shows.

As for the quote comments, they are interesting to me, in the midwest at least, I still see deer hunting as having had a much more commercialized last 10 years. I put wayyyy more time into deer hunting, but can still get on public land ducks with a bit of effort pretty easy, and without the need for much more than a beat-up canoe, gun, shells, and maybe a few dekes. We're also on a pretty major flyway, or really a convergence of two by me a little, so does make that easier. Interesting how different things can be regionally. Like deer hunting, I tend to play major pushes and swoop in to known spots when the I know the conditions are right. TO me at least, easier to predict waterfowl than deer. If I wanted to chase fields and permission, it would be even easier, but lots of fields leased up around here and I don't get much excitement out of that.

I do think unless you are rich and have very little in the way of other commitments, it's really hard to be hardcore at both. Both do take time and effort. Never gone full bore into waterfowling, but I do LOVE to eat ducks and geese, so always make enough time to have some in the freezer. I have some buddies who are waterfowling nuts though, and seems like a pretty similar level of effort to deer hunting to stay on birds and be more successful than average, especially without great private land.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 pm

Recently seen a biography on Phil Robertson (duck Dynasty) The man has one of the coolest stories I've ever heard. For anyone who doesn't know he was the starting LSU quarterback infront of Terry Bradshaw. He just walked off and quit cause it was interfering with his duck hunting. Believe he was a teacher for along time, then one day said he came home told his wife and kids he was gonna quit his job, sell everything they own and buy a small place on the river. Where he would sell catfish and work on his duck call. The guy giving the interview asked what if u would have failed? Phil said fail, I didn't have the luxury to fail I had a wife and kids to feed! Was a great story about the American Dream.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:00 am

I realize that there are other perceptions/realities out there other than my own.... I don’t doubt that there are guys that hoof it a mile plus back into a marsh for ducks...they’re few and far between. But even those guys aren’t pulling 200+# of ducks and gear out with them. Like a beast would after he kills a buck. “Lazy public land deer hunters”? ....the good ones are anything but lazy. Just like the good Waterfowlers.
I would like to take one of those guys that made the lazy comment about deer hunting out on a Deer drive or to drag a buck out of a marsh with me and then ask him for his opinion of deer hunters when we are done.
NHODN

Unread postby NHODN » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:58 am

JakeB wrote:Try to get your hands on some pre-duck dynasty duck commander videos. Phil’s original stuff was pretty good. His early stuff is very similar to what dan puts out. Everything went to crap after they got the tv show though.

Very true before duck dynasty the videos were awesome I always loved the part where Phil grabbed his rifle and missed the doe and then shot her running and she did the flip
I only work so I can hunt
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:21 pm

The Dan Infalt of waterfowl is a public land and water waterfowl hunter that you will never have a chance of learning his name are tactics because he doesn't brag and talk about the birds he kills and won't spend big money too be one of the cool Duck Commander want to be's that seem to be the norm these days.

And No waterfowl isn't easy. It's a sport that in its very nature changes from hour to hour.

Its labor and gear intensive. It takes tons of scouting and know ing just what kind of decoys to use, how to set them, what calls to use and how to use them and know ing how to hind and build simple quick but vey effective grass blinds.

The waterfowler I'm talking about is the guy that is in the parking lot the very second it's legal to pull in. And gets way back in away from everyone. He knows how too make snap judgments while going in in the dark on where,when and how based on wind direction,weather,temps,water conditions and depths. He knows how to use hunting pressure to his advantage.

He knows his gun inside and out and knows exactly how his choice in ammo will pattern.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:10 am

Never hunted a duck it is during deer season.
If it was before or after I would try it.
They taste amazing soaked in Italian dressing and wrapped in bacon grilled though.

Phil was the coolest guy on the series so down to earth.
Money doesn't change him I like that. All he wants is to own more swamp, have plenty of shells a good recliner to sit in. Simple God loving man.

The rest of duck commander crew let fame go to their head and lost sight of the real world.

Funny you mention Dan infalt of duck hunting.

Anyone else picture Dan standing in waist deep algie water with a old 12 gauge? Would be a funny movie duck tactics.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:28 am

My brother and some of his friends use to slay them when a lot of other people weren’t. They were a die hard group. They hunted all public waters. Most of them didn’t deer hunt except for maybe gun season. I only went with them a couple times and it was hard work the way they did it
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:29 am

crackehelmet wrote:Since I've only heard Dan make fun of (playfully) duck hunting, I think it's going to be a long wait before we get an Extreme Mallard Tactics video. (I would buy that video so fast, Dan.) Does anyone know of anyone out there that's more about teaching the craft of water fowling than shilling the toys? For as bad as most deer hunting videos are about shilling, water fowl is SOOO much worse.

Find the local duck hunting organization in your area - join it, participate. Plenty of guys willing to share and teach.

Some folks make duck hunting out to be this mystical event. It is a game of locations and patterns. Where have we heard this before?

And no - the best guy ins't always the first guy to the ramp in the morning.

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”