anyone goose hunting tomorrow?

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

anyone goose hunting tomorrow?

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:22 pm

I hope to shoot my first goose ever in the morning.

kenn1320
500 Club

Re: anyone goose hunting tomorrow?

Unread postby kenn1320 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:44 pm

I wish, but just slacked and it was here before I was ready. I kick myself, cause it's the most fun you can have with friends while hunting in my opinion. Good luck, don't shoot till they are close and pick out "one goose" and aim for the head. Several of my friends "flock shoot" and that results in nothing hitting the dirt more often then not.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm

Make sure you know shooting time. It doesn't open till 9 because of the teal season.

Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:56 pm

solocam88 wrote:Make sure you know shooting time. It doesn't open till 9 because of the teal season.

thanks for the reminder. I don't want a run in with the warden.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:59 am

That was incorrect information. Goose opened regular time today. Consult actual regulations, not forum advice.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:38 am

Rome wrote:That was incorrect information. Goose opened regular time today. Consult actual regulations, not forum advice.

[ Post made via Android ]

That came straight from a wardens mouth.

john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:21 am

I don't bird hunt anymore but I would assume goose season starts half hour before sunrise, regardless of the teal opener times. What a great time to have a bird dog and a shotgun in WI. Geese, doves /pigeons, and teal opener today. Awesome

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:02 am

Hunting em in michigan. .. was a slow morning... lots of flyers but they didnt want anything to do with the spread... hopefully a better evening

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:56 am

solocam88 wrote:
Rome wrote:That was incorrect information. Goose opened regular time today. Consult actual regulations, not forum advice.

[ Post made via Android ]

That came straight from a wardens mouth.

If you wouldn't mind sharing the wardens name/location, I'd love to give them a call. I work with numerous waterfowl and upland game groups in this state, and wardens giving incorrect information is something we've come across as an addressable problem, and we want to nip this in the bud immediately. I apparently know the regulations better than this warden...and this warden can't read...see page 19 - http://dnr.wi.gov/files/PDF/pubs/wm/WM0010.pdf

I love WI, and I have respect for our DNR, but these kinds of incidents where wardens are giving wrong information is becoming more and more prevelant. I had a warden tell me that I was hunting before legal hours at 8am on the second day of pheasant season last year. He told me that the season opens at noon on opening weekend. I told him he was wrong, it opens at noon on opening day, regular hours rest of season. I carry regulations with me whenever I hunt, and I pulled them out, and showed it to him. As we were conversing, we watched a guy shoot two birds, and he wasn't even going to check him. I laughed and informed him the limit for all of opening weekend is 1 bird per day, so he needed to go give that guy a ticket for over bagging. He told me that it was one bird on opening day only...out came the regulations again. Apparently he had mistaken the modified hours as all of opening weekend, and modified limit just for opening day. It's the other way around...modified hours on opening day, modified limit all of opening weekend.
Rome

Unread postby Rome » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:12 am

As for my report...I had my 4.5 year old son along with, and I bagged my limit of 5 geese out of one flock. I love opening day, you can shoot a few out of a flock, get back in the blind and on the call right away, and they'll come right back. Shot 2 w/ first shot, then 2 more w/ second shots, so only needed to take one on the second pass through to get my limit. 5 birds in 4 shots on the geese...wish I could say the same for doves. I came home with 7 of them, but should've had a limit. I'd sit w/ #7 steel in the gun majority of the time, and had passing shots at doves pretty consistently. I only put the #3s in once I heard the flock of geese coming. Worked pretty well.

I stopped by one of my leases on the way home to jump shoot a pond that doesn't play into our deer activity on that lease, and shot a double on teal. There were only 5 teal in the pond, so felt decent about that.

My son has been hooked since I began taking him 2 years ago, but yesterday was a day neither of us will forget. Just the two of us and our dog, and he's now at an age where he is really taking it all in. I cooked eggs on a camp stove next to the layout blind, let him help set the decoys, let him blow on the call a bit, etc...and those are all things to make it just a little more than a day in the field...he was part of the success, and truly believes that.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:08 am

Skipped out here (NY) due to too many obligations but most guys did well. One group of 6 buddies shot 48 and another group of 7 43. Couldn't imagine the yellow jacket swarms during that cleaning operation in 90 degree heat with 90+% humidity.

We are allowed 15 each during the Sept season and the numbers are taking a hit....but then again by this weekend theyll all be smarter until the corn starts dropping.
Green and growing... Or red and rotting

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”