Crows!

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

trad4life

Crows!

Unread postby trad4life » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:39 pm

Hey everyone!

I want to get into crow hunting in Wisconsin and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips?

Where should I look for crows?
What call do you use and get results with?
Should I use decoys and a call or just one of them is good enough?
What size shot from a 12 gauge?
Any sort of pattern for decoy set up?
Do owl decoys work the best?
any other tips or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Trad4Life

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Crows!

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:12 am

I have done some crow hunting but it has been close to 50 years ago. I used home made crow decoys and an owl. #6 shot is a good size for crows. I used a crow call and just hid in tall grass. There are seasons on them now back then there wasn't.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Stanley wrote:I have done some crow hunting but it has been close to 50 years ago. I used home made crow decoys and an owl. #6 shot is a good size for crows. I used a crow call and just hid in tall grass. There are seasons on them now back then there wasn't.

Were you successful? and what did you make the decays out of? The season in Wisconsin goes till March 31 so I have got some time to try and put one down!

-Trad4life
chester33

Unread postby chester33 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:52 pm

I made some decoys out of metal clothes hangers. Shape them so they resemble a bird. Then wrap them masking tape and spray paint them black. Check out crowbusters.com, lots of info on there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 am

Crows are fairly easy to call, but they have a knack of just staying out of shotgun range.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:21 am

I have had really good luck hunting crows. I like to hunt in a woodlot edge. I have used decoys, but honestly I have rolled up a black tee sweatshirt and fooled them into range.

I really like using calls. The crows are very responsive and vocal which makes the hunt even more fun.

I like to use a little heavier load than most, I shoot a #5 but with the tube I use that really gets me a good range

[ Post made via Android ] Image
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 am

Crows are very keen on colors and things looking out of place. Full camo is very important. Something else if you decide to use decoys the full body decoys have proven much better than the silohouette ones.
Also something to keep in mind....when you call in crows and take a shot....continue to call because they often times will come right back to your calls

trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:56 pm

backstraps wrote:Crows are very keen on colors and things looking out of place. Full camo is very important. Something else if you decide to use decoys the full body decoys have proven much better than the silohouette ones.
Also something to keep in mind....when you call in crows and take a shot....continue to call because they often times will come right back to your calls

which decoys, how many decoys and calls do you recommend?
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm

Black Squirrel wrote:Crows are fairly easy to call, but they have a knack of just staying out of shotgun range.

Thanks Black Squirrel, what call do you recommend?

-Trad4Life
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:57 pm

chester33 wrote:I made some decoys out of metal clothes hangers. Shape them so they resemble a bird. Then wrap them masking tape and spray paint them black. Check out crowbusters.com, lots of info on there.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Thanks Chester33, I'll check them out right now!

-Trad4Life
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:39 am

trad4life wrote:
Black Squirrel wrote:Crows are fairly easy to call, but they have a knack of just staying out of shotgun range.

Thanks Black Squirrel, what call do you recommend?

-Trad4Life

I have used a lohman hand call, and also a fox pro with a fighting crow series. Like others said they have great eye sight, and can pick you out fairly easy if you are not well hidden. I also used full body plastic decoys, they are pretty cheap. Crows are fun and challenging to hunt.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:57 am

what do you do with them after you shoot them?
Badger
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/allen.krelwitz

Unread postby Badger » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:46 am

years ago I made a bunch of crow decoys by cutting silhouettes out of thin plywood and painted them black, They worked good.
trad4life

Unread postby trad4life » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:38 am

So I went out crow hunting and I learned a lot very quick! haha I bought 3 flambeau decoys and a primes loco crow call. I set up 20 yards away with a Remington 870 with a modified choke and 7 1/2 1 1/2 ounce shot wearing all camouflage. The first day I will say I sucked at calling but I managed to get a flock or "murder" of 4 near me but they flared. my blind wasn't well built i presume. my second outing i left my call at home...... so i didn't have any opportunities lol. 3rd time out I called in about 15 crows and saw another 20. I missed them all but hey it was fun! I was able to learn how to call much better and which sounds i should do by going onto crowbusters.com which i highly recommend. I will say the loco call was a good call but i went and bought a cawlin crow which is a fully flocked decoy/ electronic caller and ill give that w awhirl. The area i was hunting was farmland with standing corn bordering a swampy slew. the property was next to a small creek and i was hiding in between the fallen trees sitting 20 yards away from the decoys that were tied to oner trees about 10 feet off the ground.

thanks for all the help guys!

-Trad4Life
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:55 am

Cool, they not easy to get in range as you are finding out, but it sure is fun trying!

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”