A look back at 2012 duck season!

Waterfowl, upland birds, crows ect. If it has wings talk about it here.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

A look back at 2012 duck season!

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:41 am

As the sun sets on the 2012 duck season I took a look back at some of my pics and overall I'm happy with the way the season went. I started getting into duck hunting last yr. I had a free canoe, some camo burlap, and old pump shotgun and a dozen decoys. This year I stepped it up and got a boat and blind together, and more decoys than any person needs and a "new to me" semi auto. Going into the season I needed a motor so I scrambled and bought an outboard from a sketchy mechanic and the boat sadly spent most of the season in the shop with him allegedly working on it. I picked up a kayak for $20 bucks (I love craigslist) and that saved my season. Here are some pics starting with the ugly pink fishing boat turned duck rig and ending with the guy who decided to fish right outside my decoys this morning as I made one last attempt to kill some ducks this season.

The preseason work started when I picked up this nasty old 1978 monark jon boat that was set up for fishing with center console steering. I gutted the whole thing and set it up for a tiller style motor. Replaced the floors and rewired it. Then added a sweet blind I also picked up off craigslist.

Got permission on a picked cornfield for a labor day goose hunt. We shot 2 geese and scared a lot of bicyclists!

Hauled the boat up north for traditional opening day hunt at grandpas, it was a zoo and we shot a few birds, also had a delicious "breakfast in the blind".

Shot a few reproducers!

Brought the boat back down south and did some more hunting.

Had to take the boat back to the shop and it sat there, so we found a different means to hunt!

Loaded up my buddies accord and little trailer and headed west to North Dakota.

Scott filled his swan tag!

Back to Wisconsin for a Thanksgiving duck/goose hunt and it was cold!

Got a thanksgiving goose!

Season ended today with a guy fishing 50yrds outside my decoys, needless to say I closed out the season on a duckless weekend.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Re: A look back at 2012 duck season!

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 am

Looks like a great year Matt. thanks for sharing.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:09 am

Awesome!
Gr8 times for sure.

Love the work into you floats ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 am

:clap:
solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:16 am

Nice pictorial. It was a slow year for me. I dont think the northerns have even came down yet. Im sure they will be taunting me within the next couple weeks. Nice work on the boat too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:26 am

solocam88 wrote:Nice pictorial. It was a slow year for me. I dont think the northerns have even came down yet. Im sure they will be taunting me within the next couple weeks. Nice work on the boat too.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I agree, which is pretty disappointing. I've heard of guys doing well over on the Mississippi the past few weekends but here in S.E. WI not much is happening. There are geese everywhere though and I just read in the paper, and confirmed with the regulations, that goose season is open til the 21st. Hope to get on a few fields before the season is completely over. Then I'll switch gears to bowhunting, I got permission on 77 acres of marsh in the metro unit surrounded by corn fields so I'll be out there til the end of January!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Flying Critters”