Almost got tagged tonight.

Small Game Hunting, Stories and Pictures
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Rich M
500 Club

Re: Almost got tagged tonight.

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:06 am

I like the idea of the rubber snake boots. Have big calves and can't fit snake boots well.

Have seen one 3-4 ft copperhead warming itself on the asphalt one evening after a hunt. It was likely the prettiest snake i ever saw. Didn't hurt it but did wave a branch at it and that sucker went "ready" immediately.

Most of the rattlesnakes and moccasins down here don't move or head away.

Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:55 am

Rich M wrote:I like the idea of the rubber snake boots. Have big calves and can't fit snake boots well.

Have seen one 3-4 ft copperhead warming itself on the asphalt one evening after a hunt. It was likely the prettiest snake i ever saw. Didn't hurt it but did wave a branch at it and that sucker went "ready" immediately.

I have tree trunk legs as well. Maybe based on the wrong info or possibly my own stupidity but I’ve never seen a point for a snake boot. Believe I was always told a snake can easily strike half the length of its body. So if u step on a 6 footer your catching one in the crotch area. I don’t know how tall snake boots are but don’t believe they would protect against much. Also the percentage of folks who get snake bit is tiny. Out of that percentage I read once around 90% of those are due to jacking with the snake. I believe snakes get a bad wrap and most are taught to fear them at a young age. They just wanna be left alone. According to recent data u have a 12,575, 973% greater chance of getting the corona virus than getting bit by a venomous snake. That’s why I’m gonna offer Corona boots :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:11 pm

LOL that's good. Might be a $1 million idea there w the Corona Boots.

I don't wear snake boots either. Maybe it was obvious. ..

A few many years back I was walking thru the woods and gonna step over a log when ultimately ended up walking around and there was a 6 ft black snake (indigo I think) on the other side where was gonna step. Since then told myself to walk around stuff like that and haven't stepped on any snakes.

Last 2 were a pygmy rattler in a coil out on an oak flat and a moccasin that busted out of a flooded clump of weeds as soon as it saw me about 40 ft away. Typically leave em be. If they aren't cornered and get aggressive I'll toast em but 99.9% live to see another day.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Good stuff Rich! We got a snake here locally called a blue racer. There non venomous but look like a stinking cobra with the flared out head and standing up. There very playful and chase u (hence the name) when u stop, they stop. A guy who doesn’t know any better will pucker up and scream for there life.

I’ve been bit several times in my life but just like the stats show it was caused from being an idiot. I was raised not to fear em. I remember somewhere around the age of 12 napping on the couch and felt something tickling my lips. My oldest brother had a chicken snake in his hand in my face. Was it’s tongue hitting my lips. Just part of being the youngest of numerous brothers while living in the country lol. Fear em no, respect them yes.

Used to go to this giant rattle snake round up as a kid. Would take pump sprayers and fill em with gas then spray em into the snake dens late winter. When they came out we scooped em up and tossed em in onion sacks. Have a pic somewhere where I’m like 8 holding an onion sack of like 50 diamond backs. Times have certainly changed.

My grandpa used to always say don’t step on anything u can step over. And don’t step over anything u can go around. Don’t be picking your nose while in the woods pay attention. Still guilty of picking my nose :lol:
-John Wayne-
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:59 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
Rich M wrote:I like the idea of the rubber snake boots. Have big calves and can't fit snake boots well.

I have tree trunk legs as well. Maybe based on the wrong info or possibly my own stupidity but I’ve never seen a point for a snake boot. Believe I was always told a snake can easily strike half the length of its body. So if u step on a 6 footer your catching one in the crotch area. I don’t know how tall snake boots are but don’t believe they would protect against much. Also the percentage of folks who get snake bit is tiny. Out of that percentage I read once around 90% of those are due to jacking with the snake. I believe snakes get a bad wrap and most are taught to fear them at a young age. They just wanna be left alone. According to recent data u have a 12,575, 973% greater chance of getting the corona virus than getting bit by a venomous snake. That’s why I’m gonna offer Corona boots :lol:

And yet I've been bit 4 times in my life by venomous snakes. .
3 I had snake boots on 1 I didn't.

Some people attract things not sure why.
Some get hit by lightning several times.

Keep in mind those statistics are including everyone that lives in the city and never goes to the woods or lakes. If they did a odds of a hunter or fisherman being bit in their lifetime the numbers would significantly increase.

Most bites occur on the hands or ankle.

Early 2000s I was bit by a copperhead while walking barefoot to go get the mail.

Then I was walking through a pine thicket and a moccasin bit my rocky boot.

I was walking a clearcut edge in summer and was bit by a copperhead on the back of my ankle after I stepped over him.

Early November I stepped over a log coming out of the woods at dark and was bit on the back of my leg. I turned my flashlight on and a Timber Rattlesnake was laying their.

I grew up with a pond and ran into hundreds most fled. I may just have horrible luck I'm a snake magnet.

Today I walked up on 2 cottonmouth while scouting along a swamp. They are no longer a threat.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:

And yet I've been bit 4 times in my life by venomous snakes. .
3 I had snake boots on 1 I didn't.

Keep in mind those statistics are including everyone that lives in the city and never goes to the woods or lakes. If they did a odds of a hunter or fisherman being bit in their lifetime the numbers would significantly increase.

Jesus, u got some bad mojo going on! I’m waste deep in snake infested water 1/4 of the year for over 30 years and have never had a problem. Suspect u r correct on the hand bites. Out of the guys I know who have been bit by the bad boys was all hands/forearm area. 3 from picking up fire wood/hay bales, and one from reaching his hand down in a hole to turn on barn water. It happens, won’t deny that. Just think it takes a freak type thing to happen. I Don’t believe snakes are running around out there looking for humans to attack. Don’t get me wrong I’ve had em startle the bejesus out of me. Had one fall out of a willow right on my back that left me walking on water. Another time I had a ball of 100s of em mating coming right at me. Looked like the scene from lonesome dove. But look on the positive side prob ain’t nobody ever got bit 5 times :lol:
-John Wayne-
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
And yet I've been bit 4 times in my life by venomous snakes. 3 I had snake boots on 1 I didn't.

That's insane. You've got something going on for sure. I'd say you are startling them.

The one guy I know who had gotten bit was hit on his thumb by a pygmy rattler.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:55 am

Glad you got away clean.

I kill every poisonous snake I see. We have moccasins, copperheads, western, eastern, timber and canebrake rattlesnakes and pygmy rattlers( we call them ground rattlers).

That being said I have been around them all my life and my mind is programmed too keep a eye out for snakes, still sometimes I will step on one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Other Critters”