CO November rifle hunts

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

CO November rifle hunts

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:36 am

Heading out this year for rifle.
I’m sure there may be others on here who have done it or about to do it
I figured folks on here probably have a ton of info tips etc on preparation for that time of year. So I wanted start a thread for questions, input, needs whatever.

I had 2.
Did y’all bring firewood for your stove or just scrounged?

When you’re doing long hikes in the cold, how do you start out? Minimal clothing and pack the warm stuff once you need it? Reason I ask is, even if I wear good wicking base layers I just get so sweaty I’m drenched. And with that cold out there ....not good. This is literally a big concern for me.

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Bhaydin

Re: CO November rifle hunts

Unread postby Bhaydin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:20 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:Heading out this year for rifle.
I figured folks on here probably have a ton of info tips etc on preparation for that time of year. So I wanted start a thread for questions, input, needs whatever.

I had 2.

When you’re doing long hikes in the cold, how do you start out? Minimal clothing and pack the warm stuff once you need it? Reason I ask is, even if I wear good wicking base layers I just get so sweaty I’m drenched. And with that cold out there ....not good. This is literally a big concern for me.

I lived in CO for nearly a decade and spent considerable hiking in the winter. A lot depends on the weather conditions but I started my day often with just a base-layer - especially if I was hiking upward. I usually had four layers "ready:
1) Base layer - poly pro, merino or something similar - definitely wicking
2) Mid layer fleece or sweater- Sometimes I used a soft shell, other times just wind resistant
3) Down jacket
4) Outer shell
I'd often pack a vest as an extra layer, and usually an extra base layer. I was testing gear for manufacturers so I usually had lots of options to choose from.

Layering your legs is just as important. Here is what I carried and wore:
1) base layer
2) Pants
3) Down pants*
4) Outer shell*
* Zip on/off

The key was to have the layers easily accessible. If I stopped, I put on a layer right away - even for a short snack break. If the wind picked up, sometimes just the shell went on over my base layer. But these layers were versatile enough for me to handle anything thrown at me. Probably the coldest was -20 F ambient temperature. Depending on where you will be, it could be anywhere from 70 to really cold!
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:13 am

Bhaydin wrote:
Sailfish_WC wrote:Heading out this year for rifle.

I had 2.

I lived in CO for nearly a decade and spent considerable hiking in the winter. A lot depends on the weather conditions but I started my day often with just a base-layer - especially if I was hiking upward. I usually had four layers "ready:
1) Base layer - poly pro, merino or something similar - definitely wicking
2) Mid layer fleece or sweater- Sometimes I used a soft shell, other times just wind resistant
3) Down jacket
4) Outer shell
I'd often pack a vest as an extra layer, and usually an extra base layer. I was testing gear for manufacturers so I usually had lots of options to choose from.

Layering your legs is just as important. Here is what I carried and wore:
1) base layer
2) Pants
3) Down pants*
4) Outer shell*
* Zip on/off

The key was to have the layers easily accessible. If I stopped, I put on a layer right away - even for a short snack break. If the wind picked up, sometimes just the shell went on over my base layer. But these layers were versatile enough for me to handle anything thrown at me. Probably the coldest was -20 F ambient temperature. Depending on where you will be, it could be anywhere from 70 to really cold!

Thank you!

It was real experiences I was looking for.
Good stuff
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:57 am

I wonder if bringing wood is an option, with the Emerald Ash Borer and other pests. Might be JetBoil time. I'm pretty sure some western states make you bring "certified" weed free hay to feed horses you trailer out.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:34 pm

You can bring wood of gather. The regulations differ from area to area so make sure you are good with DOW. Sounds like you will be truck camping. Make sure you have an acceptable tent for rain, snow and wind. Make sure you have proper fitting boots. Be prepared for decent weather and horrible weather.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 am

I wanted to add one thing. Elevation is real and it can put a hurt on you. Listen to your body, if you are tired then rest. Drink lots of water. Even though it doesn’t feel like it, there is oxygen. Take your time and don’t challenge the mountain because she wins every time.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:27 am

camelcluch wrote: Drink lots of water.

Great tip and worth repeating. The sweat disappears quick enough you might think it's not happening. And water helps keep elevation problems from popping up. When in Moab for vacation, we used hydration packs. Much quicker and easier than bottle.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:10 am

I talked with an outfitter guide Sunday.
He says plenty of wood available to chop no need to bring
Can’t use a chainsaw though. Manual only.

I’m in pretty good shape. Cardio as well as strength.
He said he was too when he moved to CO
He said unequivocally altitude will kick your behind. What you can physically do in a day in FL or Ohio isn’t the same at 8,9, 10k’
Hydrate. Rest when needed and don’t go crazy day 1
Acclimate some of you can

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”