Wyoming Region Y Mule Deer

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brian1986

Wyoming Region Y Mule Deer

Unread postby Brian1986 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:08 am

Anyone have any experience hunting this unit during the rifle season (which is Oct 15 til up to Oct 31 depending on the unit)? Not looking for spots. But curious about the number of hunters you see on public. What the weather was like. We're roads passable? Were there solid deer numbers? Does anyone have any boots on the ground experience with the region?

UntouchableNess
500 Club

Re: Wyoming Region Y Mule Deer

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:09 am

I hunted the Bighorn Mountains for archery elk the first week of September in 2012. I woke up and peaked out of my tent one morning to see the ground covered with sleet/snow. Day time temps were jacketless. I would guess it turns much colder a month later. There was an campground area that was packed with campers, talking to a local he said they were mostly mule deer hunters. I headed home early, around Sept. 14 and waves of hunters were pulling in with campers. I saw a few deer while hunting, nothing with a large rack. Went back to the same area a couple years back on a Labor Day family vacation, saw a few small muleys bedded down in a bowl at 10,000 ft elev. Had a bull elk trot past camp one evening, LOL. Where was he when I had a tag? In 2012, I hunted out of my Honda Civic. When we went back more recently, drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee and needed it, forest service roads had gone downhill. We were in the Shell Reservoir area.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:30 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:I hunted the Bighorn Mountains for archery elk the first week of September in 2012. I woke up and peaked out of my tent one morning to see the ground covered with sleet/snow. Day time temps were jacketless. I would guess it turns much colder a month later. There was an campground area that was packed with campers, talking to a local he said they were mostly mule deer hunters. I headed home early, around Sept. 14 and waves of hunters were pulling in with campers. I saw a few deer while hunting, nothing with a large rack. Went back to the same area a couple years back on a Labor Day family vacation, saw a few small muleys bedded down in a bowl at 10,000 ft elev. Had a bull elk trot past camp one evening, LOL. Where was he when I had a tag? In 2012, I hunted out of my Honda Civic. When we went back more recently, drove the Jeep Grand Cherokee and needed it, forest service roads had gone downhill. We were in the Shell Reservoir area.

Thanks for the input, that's very helpful. We went to CO last year elk hunting. No shots at any elk but lots of mule deer, bear, and even saw a moose. Lots of hunters there as well.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:18 am

I saw a moose the first trip to Wy, right before I turned of 43A(?).

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”