If you could only choose two...

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAbowhunter10

If you could only choose two...

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:33 am

This will be my first year going out West to hunt elk in September. As I prep for this trip this summer, I’m discovering that I don’t have a lot of the items that a western hunter “needs”. We will be backpacking several miles in to hunt elk with archery equipment. As I read through other forums all I see is recommendations for high end boots, Sitka, FL, and Kuiu clothing, high end backpacks, expensive light weight camping gear, etc..... and all I see is dollar signs. So here is my question for all the experienced western hunters, if you had to decide on two items to spend the majority of your funds on based on importance, what would it be? I’m willing to spend some cash for this trip but I want to be smart about what I buy and not buy things that aren’t necessary. I already have the gear that an east coast whitetail hunter would have including archery equipment. Thanks guys!

Andyschulte

Re: If you could only choose two...

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sun May 30, 2021 12:36 am

Boots and a backpack would be my choices
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sun May 30, 2021 12:48 am

Andyschulte wrote:Boots and a backpack would be my choices

That’s what my initial thoughts were based on my research and what some of my buddies were stating. Already picked up a MR beartooth 80 pack. Looking at boots... kenetreck, crispi, Lowa, whites, etc. it’s hard to believe the high end boots cost over 400 dollars. That’s a hard pill to swallow. Ideally I want something that’s more of a hybrid boot that I can where hunting whitetails at home too. Don’t want to drop that kind of money and have em site in my closet when I’m not out west.
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Sun May 30, 2021 1:04 am

Boots and pack for sure...you can catch ultra high end boots on camo fire but may not have time to go that route...soaks and blister treatment is often underrated
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Sun May 30, 2021 2:14 am

Andyschulte wrote:Boots and a backpack would be my choices

This for sure
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun May 30, 2021 2:55 am

Boots and glass. Nothing is going to replace high end binos.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sun May 30, 2021 3:21 am

Bowhuntercoop wrote:Boots and glass. Nothing is going to replace high end binos.

Recommendations on brand and magnification?
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Sun May 30, 2021 3:57 am

Do you need high end boots for one trip? Would a $200-300 US made hiking boot work for years? What is it about the high end boots that is appealing vs the somewhat cheaper boots? I’ve never been western hunting but as a scout in the Army I’ve never needed anything over $300 that didn’t last years, although they weren’t insulted.
Bowhuntercoop
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhuntercoop » Sun May 30, 2021 4:57 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
Bowhuntercoop wrote:Boots and glass. Nothing is going to replace high end binos.

Recommendations on brand and magnification?

I love my Swarovskis. 10x42 is plenty for the east coast and out west for a do all bino. I actually use 8.5x32 EL for east coast and out west.
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Sun May 30, 2021 6:57 am

buttonbuck wrote:Do you need high end boots for one trip? Would a $200-300 US made hiking boot work for years? What is it about the high end boots that is appealing vs the somewhat cheaper boots? I’ve never been western hunting but as a scout in the Army I’ve never needed anything over $300 that didn’t last years, although they weren’t insulted.

Its not an absolute nessesety but once you go the high end boot route its hard to go back. A stiff boot in steep terrain with weight on your back makes a world of a difference.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Sun May 30, 2021 9:48 am

I’d say good boots and a Good!! Packframe. I made the mistake first time around buying a cheap backpack at a garage sale that had no waist belt - biggest mistake I ever made hunting - killed my shoulders packing out meat - a good waist belt and you won’t have any weight on your shoulders. I’m not sure what high end is in boots but I bought a good pair of Solomans (sp?) for about 300 and they were dang good.

Bio1
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun May 30, 2021 11:35 am

Boots and packs are super important but if I was to give my attention and money to one area it’s hands down the sleep system. Make sure you are comfy at night and the other stuff becomes easier. Shelter, pad and bag dont skimp here and your hunt will be much more enjoyable.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun May 30, 2021 1:16 pm

Been going to a variety of western states for hunting for 15 years. Have hunted several different animals (deer, elk, bear, moose) using a variety of sleeping and overnight approaches (backpacking in 2-8 miles and camping for two weeks, using a bivy, sleeping in a tent, staying in a cabin, staying in the back of the vehicle, etc.)

You can go elk hunting and be successful without spending a lot of money on gear. (Sure, in some instances purchasing a bunch of high end gear may help, it make you more efficient, or comfortable, but you can have a fun, enjoyable, and even successful hunt without spending a lot of money.)

With that, I would spend the money on a backpack first. Hiking for hours on end, and then potentially hauling out meat, a great backpack is where I’d spend my money. (And I’ve tried out several along the way!)

In regards to boots, everyone’s feet are different, so you will likely get different answers! What works well for some doesn’t work for others.

Plenty of people recommend a high ankle, stiff boot, with a sturdy sole. Usually those boots are 4+ pounds. Many of them do cost several hundred dollars, $300-$500. I tried that route, just wasn’t for me. For September hunts with mild weather and no snow, I ended up at a 6” hiker, soft sole, lightweight (2.2 lbs), that fits my foot well. Use it from hiking to hunting to hauling meat. Cost about $120. Works for me! (So, if you spend $500 on boots doesn’t mean they will fit you well, or be the “right” boots for you.)

The first year I went elk hunting I wasn’t entirely sure if I’d like it, so I purchased some entry-level gear. After that first trip I knew it WAS for me, and so elk hunting received a lot of my passion in the following years. Along the way I’ve made several gear upgrades. Some things have stayed the same, some things have been upgraded.

Bottom line is most of the gear you use for white tails will work well for elk.

Good luck! Enjoy the journey!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun May 30, 2021 2:16 pm

I forgot to add money savers. Steep and cheap, Sierra Trading Post and few other sites get you some really good deals. The other day camofire had the marmot never summer down bag for $210. That’s a very good deal. The Big Agnus Copper Spur pops up for a good price and can be found used. Backpacking packs are very capable and usually cheaper than hunting brands. There are many ways to save money but I refer to my previous post on the sleep system.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Mon May 31, 2021 3:39 am

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”