If you could only choose two...

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

camelcluch
500 Club

Re: If you could only choose two...

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:41 am

Outdoor Vitals and Hyke and Bike are two companies worth looking at.

seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:27 am

Boots and Glass, in that order.

You will inevitably cover A LOT of ground if you are serious about getting on animals. Being new to an area, covering ground is a must for any chance of success (unless you have some solid intel or areas from friends that have already been successful).

Glass will help you cut down on miles, but there will still be lots of them. I'd recommend a really good 10x or 12x bino AND a tripod. A lot of guys think a spotting scope is a must out west. They are certainly nice to have, but a good stable rest for your binos really makes a world of difference, and adding your binos on a lightweight tripod will save you several pounds over the binos, spotter, and tripod route.

Good luck!
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:32 am

I didn't do backpack elk but almost went. Guy I was going with said to get a -20 sleeping bag and a hammock tent. I also got a backpack. Decided not to go cause it was an archery trip and I'm deaf. Bad enough spooking whitetails close in, not wanting to do that to elk when I've got significant $ and travel involved. Will go rifle or ML if I go.

Went for antelope and also for mule deer - used a lumbar pack and loved it.

Boots, I would pay for whatever fits great and provides ankle support. I have pronghorn boots and some gander Mtn insulated pronghorn knock-offs. Both work fine for what I did with them. Would want a stiffer boot if walking side slope.

10x binoculars.
Wylee

Unread postby Wylee » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:39 am

Sleeping bag/bivy. Water filtration. Boots/pack stone glacier solo.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:57 am

I would say boots and glass but if you're in an area with heavy timber glass could be pointless.

Boots, a PROPERLY FITTED pack and glass

The pack will make the haul in much easier and if by chance you are successful will be a blessing

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”