Having hardcore/serious hunting friends

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hookslinger
500 Club

Re: Having hardcore/serious hunting friends

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:45 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Jimmy wallhanger wrote:My only hunting buddy is a fat slob and Im starting to hate his guts because he argues everything, while chainsmoking and almost having a heart attack every 200 yards.

He's so lazy now and wont come scouting which I actually like because hes deadweight and think severy missing peice of bark is a rub...... literally every single peice and argues when I say its probably a rabbit as its a darn root.

My cousin has 25 acres but is almost as lazy as my fat buddy, I offered to buy 25 fruit trees to plant to attarct deer as hes lazy as heck and just wants to sit over a bait pile in a ladder stand. He refused saying the actual planting was work he couldnt be bothered to do.

I would like to have someone from this site that had the same thoughts to partner up with but theres no one in Southern Ontario that Im aware of.

:lol:

That first paragraph is gold :lol:

Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:22 pm

What led me to this thread was exactly what you are discussing.

I have a few friends I push whitetails and bears around with but only a select group of my friends want to seriously hunt elk.

I have a few guys I go with that are good dudes but I’ve struggled to find someone to take elk hunting as seriously as I do.

I don’t mind hunting anything else alone but I would definitely prefer a companion for elk in some regions but I just don’t have many guys I can rely on. Everyone just wants the goat on a rope. For some, even getting to the goat on a rope is too much
OH nontypical
500 Club

Unread postby OH nontypical » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:37 pm

At 52 I have zero buddies willing to hunt public that live close to me. My son will hunt but he’s lives 5 hours away and is at his first job out of college so maybe once a year.

My best friend and hunting partner for over 20 years moved out west about 6 years ago. He will be moving back to within a few hours of me soon so I’m sure we will hunt some together.

The truth is that bowhunting isn’t easy and most people just give it up as they grow older. Most experienced good hunters are loners at heart. It comes with the territory.

For me it’s also a way stay young and always brings me back to who I really am so I don’t see giving it up even if I have to slow down at some point. Looking for a small piece of private to make sure I have a place to go when I can’t be as mobile as I am now. Also for hunting with family.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:17 am

I’m lucky to have a few guys that I hunt with every year.
Two of them are hardcore public land grinders that kill good bucks every year. Both of them are in good physical shape and can keep up with me and help drag deer. Both of them are single and have more time to hunt than myself (I’m married with 2 kids). I have a canoe and Both had seen how using water access to separate from other public hunters can be a game changer.

This summer both of them bought Jon boats with motors for river access. We share info and we can point to our spots on maps. We could hunt each other’s spot, if we needed help. They are both mobile and are continually moving and getting on deer. We’ve all found good spots and shown each other new potential spots.

Both will go scouting with me in the spring and summer to find new territory. They may not go on their own much but they will explore new options.

Funniest part for me is I introduced them to each other this season and those two have been hunting together more than with me. I think it’s awesome to have a couple guys that you can trust. I can’t go as much as they can, so it works great. I have Also already had a successful season, so my fire isn’t blazing as bright currently.

It’s also been a lot of fun for me to follow along with their hunt while I’m at work. I’m blessed to have those hunting friends.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:54 am

I am hard-core. Always have been. Went from Forest Service, to urban firemen, to police officer for one reason@, TIME OFF TO HUNT. I always looked at my jobs as not a career but to finance my hunting. I always loved my work. Being happy in life made me a better hunter. Plus I finally got married at 36, to a girl who was a walleye warrior.

Now this year 73. I have a hard core partner, 60 retired from Union trades, who is crazier than me. He hunts, traps or fishes everyday. Both of us have places in Wis and UP. We are always tramping around the woods. I am slowing down.

No one is going to be you. I have been in great camps all my life with great guys. Out west and here in Midwest. Most have slowed down, but they still love to hunt. I really have been blessed.

I like to know what is going on with others as for day to day, but I want to hunt solo on deer. I.do like all the video you young guys make. I could never do it.

Good hunting partners are priceless.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:32 am

ihookem wrote:About 30 yrs ago there were nine guys in our camp. Now it is just my son and me. We didnt even grouse hunt this year.He is out of college and works 50 hrs a week. He only has 1 week a yr. so far. As for me, I just dont understand why there is so little interest in hunting anymore. I live inside of 10 mi. from 7,000 ac. of public land . Ya , it sucks by the time 2nd week of gun season but at least there is a chance to get a deer. A BIL lives very close , wont even go out there.. and .. and public can be very good sometimes. . .. Kids and wives do come first . If they dont there is almost always marriage trouble . Work, comes first , retirement plans put a damper on life. I put in $5,000 in my SEP, I fill $14,000 in wife's and my ROTH. . $4,000 property taxes, car repairs.... It adds up to staying close to home to hunt and the cabin up north sits empty except 5 to 8 times a year.

Well, it has been 2 yrs since I posted on this thread. It only got a little worse , but I am ok with that. My son went to the cabin with me in NW WIs. this yr. to hunt deer. It was so cold we drove up opening morning. About 4 mies down the road , driving through public land,,,,, yet, 2 deer walking along a frozen pond . .. I hunt there all the time,,, and said out loud ,," we should really just stay home and hunt".. We got to the cabin,,, it was so darn cold in it we never did get it warm till that night. I could not get across the river. It was almost froze over with bare spots and I felt too dangerous to cross in my Jon boat. I hunt 50 yds from the cabin. It was 11 degrees and windy,, likely -10 with the chill. No deer. Chas, my son, said he aint going , so he takes his shotgun and goes grouse hunting on opening day of gun season. Not sure it is even legal,, but I dont see why not. He had blaze orange on. Oh well. He didn't see a deer or a grouse . He found a real nice deer trail,,, but surely led to a bait pile. ... I go home and get a buck 4 miles away in 2 hunts. If public in SE WIs. was not so busy,,, I am sure I would do real well. I just hate seeing other hunters. Next year, I told my son, I am going to bait up north, and go muzzy hunting in the middle of the week. If I dont see deer then,,, I am going to completely give up hunting there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”