How’s distance measured?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

How’s distance measured?

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:11 am

In my parts, when you say you went a mile or 2 miles back to your stand...it’s a mile or 2 miles because we are flat.

Out west when you read/hear a fella had to go 5 miles in to get to less pressured animals:

Are they counting as the crow flies or up the 3000’ mountain, down the 3000’, up another one 1500’
Etc as their 5 miles?

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Dewey

Re: How’s distance measured?

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 am

Miles walked rarely are measured as the crow flies even on flat ground since your constantly maneuvering around property lines, water bodies or real thick vegetation. GPS, Onx tracking and other apps measure actual distance walked so if you climb up and over a few steep hills or mountains it’s gonna reflect that.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 am

I would guess that for most hunters the distance they claimed they walked is probably about 2-3 times the amount that was actually walked. :lol:
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:55 am

cspot wrote:I would guess that for most hunters the distance they claimed they walked is probably about 2-3 times the amount that was actually walked. :lol:

Totally agree with that!!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:21 pm

These guys are right, exaggerated as the crow flies is how most measure. :lol:
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:30 pm

With on-x map tracker
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:50 pm

cspot wrote:I would guess that for most hunters the distance they claimed they walked is probably about 2-3 times the amount that was actually walked. :lol:

Well it FELT longer because it was 70 degrees for a whole week in November :lol:
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:41 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:

Well it FELT longer because it was 70 degrees for a whole week in November :lol:

That is for sure! :D
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:44 pm

And every 100” buck they see is at least a 150”. :whistle:
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

live2hunt wrote:With on-x map tracker

Kinda what I thought.

None the less, ‘X’ miles walked is ‘X’ miles whether in a circle up or Down, etc
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:23 am

I tend to doubt my tracker because when I sit a spot for a couple hours or even a few minutes it seems like my dot moves around on the screen and makes a scribbly mess. I wonder if that counts as distance walked.

There have been several hunts this year where I have walked out at the end of the day and it's tracked me for six or seven miles. But I just don't feel like I've carried my stand and stuff that far.

The next time I walk to the stand I'll probably have it on tracker. I'll note the miles at the beginning of my sit and then again at the end of my set to see if it's added miles just while I was sitting there.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:10 am

Most smart phones these days have fitness trackers built right into the software. My iPhone has a Health app that logs number of steps and walking/running distance. Comparing with my Garmin and Onx trackers it seems pretty accurate to me. The all are within .01 of a mile.
Polack

Unread postby Polack » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 am

my phone tells me how much I walk, As the crow flies im usually 1 mile or so but if im scouting my way in along the transitions im usually 1.5 - 2 miles. I often plan a big loop that works with the wind that allows me to scout and setup if I find hot sign, with an intended target at the end.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

I usually specify:
1 mile, as the crow-flies, or
1 mile, tracked using GPS.

If I have a GPS with me, I will specify that the tracking feature was used. Mostly, though, I just say 1 mile, as the crow flies. For elk hunting, I use the GPS, so I use either "as the crow flies" OR "actual distance hiked". For deer hunting, it is the phone, so "as the crow flies".
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 am

When I've hunted out west, we walked in x miles. Mostly it was a mile or two per the fitness app on my cell phone and then we'd hunt. Or you could go by time and figure 1/2 hour per mile if just walking.

If using onX or Google Earth I'd be saying as the crow flies.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”