Getting ready!

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Getting ready!

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:08 pm

So, you decide to go out west on a hunt.
What are you doing to be ready for the hunt?

Here’s a peek at what I’m doing.

First off, I had knee surgery. I’m rehabbing.
I workout 3-4 days a week. As my knee gets better this will ramp up more.

Next, I’m constantly doing research.
Maps, gear, questions to guys who are familiar with where I’m headed and what I’m hunting.

I’m shooting my bow 2-3 times a week. I’m trying to stretch my range out to 60 yds consistently inside a pop can.

There’s tons more. I know I’m missing things.
What are you doing to get ready?

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
camelcluch
500 Club

Re: Getting ready!

Unread postby camelcluch » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:30 pm

As your knee will allow make sure to get cardio in. The thin air is real and can be brutal for some. Then when you get to the mountain, slow down and drink water, lots of water. Let your body tell you what it needs. Tired, take a nap. Thirsty, drink lots of water. I would also try out any new gear before you come. My number 1, stay positive and have fun. Even when it’s hard, it’s fun.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:53 pm

Call local game biologists. They are a great source for herd information and know exactly what’s going on out there because they are involved with it every day. They can really narrow things down for you. Every single one I ever talked was more than willing to help and gave way more info than I needed. Be ready with a notepad and pen to jot everything down so you don’t forget anything.

Depending on where your hunting cardio will be huge especially in steep terrain and can make or break your hunt. If you normally hunt flat land it’s even more important. Steep terrain will quickly tell you that you failed to prepare. Sounds like your cutting it close with being physically able to really push it so you will have a lot of catching up to do at crunch time. I would recommend getting on a bike and pedaling some hills if your doctor allows it. That will be much easier on your knee than hiking or running. Great low impact cardio.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 am

Thanks Camelcluch and Dewey.
I’m hoping to get more responses from anyone going out west or whose been out west. Not just for my benefit but for everyone going this year and in the future. A little knowledge can go a long way.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 pm

We know that the Beast is home. But western hunting has a great site too. Rokslide
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:57 pm

Once my knee started feeling better I'd start with weighted backpack hikes using my hunting pack and the actual boots I'd be hunting in. Start light and work my way up to a full load. Hike in as close to a real hunting situation as you can at least once a week. The rest of the time go a little easier. Might want to look into a pack that carries your bow or maybe a bow sling of some sort. Maybe even a sturdy hiking stick or pole. Its easier to get up/down hills if you have the ability to lean into the terrain a bit.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm

My prep has started. New arrows this year and going to the Total Archery Challenge later this summer. I’m lucky and get to bike at work. I have been doing close to 25 miles a day. Pack training to start soon with hikes and workouts with 60#. Bugles in the car are a normal to will continue.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:51 pm

Dewey wrote:Call local game biologists. They are a great source for herd information and know exactly what’s going on out there because they are involved with it every day. They can really narrow things down for you. Every single one I ever talked was more than willing to help and gave way more info than I needed. Be ready with a notepad and pen to jot everything down so you don’t forget anything.

Depending on where your hunting cardio will be huge especially in steep terrain and can make or break your hunt. If you normally hunt flat land it’s even more important. Steep terrain will quickly tell you that you failed to prepare. Sounds like your cutting it close with being physically able to really push it so you will have a lot of catching up to do at crunch time. I would recommend getting on a bike and pedaling some hills if your doctor allows it. That will be much easier on your knee than hiking or running. Great low impact cardio.

Great advice here. Finding good area(s) will have more to do with success than gear or cardio. Elk hunting is not deer hunting. You could be in an elkless area for the whole trip without proper research in this area.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 am

I would start with a little less weight in the pack. 60lbs just starting off is a enough weight. There is a long way until the season opens. I would start lower, build up and test yourself. Then the last two weeks taper off on the weight a little.

I live in NE Wisconsin and go out west every year, I know the excitement, but truthfully there aren't that many times you are carrying around a 60 pound pack. It is great to know what that feels like, but I would say that on day hunts you won't be carrying close to that amount. At least I don't.

just my 0.02
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Fri May 08, 2020 2:04 am

A7B78FAE-5C5A-4086-9B05-350F93AD6AC3.jpeg

2 of us shot yesterday. Pic is our grouping at 50 yds.
Both were very happy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun May 17, 2020 10:59 am

I always incorporate some type of uphill sprinting or running. Too many times, I've had to make fast and somewhat long moves In order to get in a position to make a shot. On top of that, keeping your bow drawn and having the breath to let an arrow go like you should - you better not be huffing and puffing.

Do as much strength and conditioning as your body permits. No one has ever gone out there in too good of shape, but every year a whole lot of people go out there in not good enough shape.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Mon May 18, 2020 4:39 am

Recap of what I did this past week in preparation for Colorado elk archery trip.
Monday- nothing
Tuesday- physical therapy
Wednesday- Weight’s- lower body and core
Squats, extensions, hamstring curls, calf raises, tons of abs, leg lifts, stretching
3 miles on the treadmill walking at incline between 1 an 12.5

Thursday- Weight’s- upper body and core
Bench, curls, etc...... a lot more abs and lower back work
Treadmill- 2.6 miles at various inclines
Friday- physical therapy - shot bow
Saturday- just under 6 mile hike with pack on, 25 lbs
Sunday- day off
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 am

Looking forward to follow your journey!

I've never hunted outside Wis, but would like to some time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:16 pm

Last week my workouts slacked but that was due to me going back on 12 hour shifts and the surgeon telling me to ease into this.
Today workouts start back up.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Really good workout tonight.
Core
Upper body
Treadmill

Under 3 months to Colorado elk hunt

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”