Getting ready!

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

vtbuck
500 Club

Re: Getting ready!

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:43 am

Started training today for my next archery elk trip.
Ran a little over 2 miles. Going to try to workout 3-4 days a week or more. Group talked about going in 2022.

Realized on the mountain in Colorado at 10k feet I could be in better shape. Probably didn’t help having knee sure feet or being sick the week of the trip and losing 20 lbs but I can do more to get ready this time

Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:52 am

vtbuck wrote:Started training today for my next archery elk trip.
Ran a little over 2 miles. Going to try to workout 3-4 days a week or more. Group talked about going in 2022.

Realized on the mountain in Colorado at 10k feet I could be in better shape. Probably didn’t help having knee sure feet or being sick the week of the trip and losing 20 lbs but I can do more to get ready this time

Something happens at 10k, not sure what it is. I am fine without a ton of extra training at 8k-9k, but I can feel 10k just walking around.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:35 am

Trout wrote:

Something happens at 10k, not sure what it is. I am fine without a ton of extra training at 8k-9k, but I can feel 10k just walking around.

On flat ground or going downhill I was fine everywhere. But going uphill above 10k feet I was out of breath. Not all the time. It was random. Mornings seemed worse. I’d take a quick break and be fine but it was frustrating. Thought I was in good shape. Now I want to be in better shape.

I’m also hooked on chasing elk. It’s a lot of work but it is awesome.
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:20 am

vtbuck wrote:
Trout wrote:

On flat ground or going downhill I was fine everywhere. But going uphill above 10k feet I was out of breath. Not all the time. It was random. Mornings seemed worse. I’d take a quick break and be fine but it was frustrating. Thought I was in good shape. Now I want to be in better shape.

I’m also hooked on chasing elk. It’s a lot of work but it is awesome.

Your no spring chicken anymore. ;)

I’ll be the first to say it doesn’t get any easier especially once you pass 50. Last time I hiked in Yellowstone above 9,000 feet I was feeling it and thought I was in great shape back then. Us flat landers are at SEVERE disadvantage not living in that environment year round. You can’t really train for that except really amp up cardio to get your heart/lungs working at their peak and even then it’s tough work.

Chasing elk in the mountains seems like my kind of fun but something I should have seriously pursued in my 20’s-30’s. Unfortunately I missed that window but suppose as long as I’m walking upright it’s never too late.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:15 am

Not to late. I hunt with people in their 70’s. Don’t let age be an excuse for missing out.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:09 am

Hearing a bull elk bugle back at you and then come in to see you has me hooked.
I will definitely do this as long as my mind, body, and wife permit it

LOL
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:06 pm

The training is good and benefits more than hunting. I always tell people that elk hunting is the hardest thing I do every year. It never seems to change, no matter how much I’ve prepared.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”