CO OTC ELk Hunt 2020

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
bowtechjim

Re: CO OTC ELk Hunt 2020

Unread postby bowtechjim » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:49 am

camelcluch wrote:What type of hunt? Packing in or car camp? There is a big difference in prep and needed equipment. As far as other prep; start practicing long distance. I spend most of my time at 80 -110 yards. We shoot a bit further than eastern hunting. Get your gear and test it out in the yard or local quick trips. Try to get into shape but the mountain is going to kick your but and let you know she is in charge. Embrace the suck. Number one on the list, stay positive. Remember it’s elk hunting and your are having fun.

Car camp is the plan as of now. I like the idea of being able to move long distances if the elk aren't there. Have A. B. C. units picked right now and working on picking spots within those units

camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:31 am

Ok. You’ll need a good weather proven shelter. Kodiak Canvas is a great option that will allow for cots and a heater if need. A pack that will hold 80ish pounds and be comfortable, boots are personal and should be broken in. Binoculars and range finder round out my top items. No need to go crazy on anything but have gear that works. Not a must but I highly recommend the trekking poles from Costco. Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon and for $30 your whole body will be thankful.
WidowMaker77
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/carl.nystrom.58

Unread postby WidowMaker77 » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Check out top rut too. I’ve had success 2 yrs in a row on otc elk hunts if u want help just shoot me a pm
Sewey

Unread postby Sewey » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:54 am

Lots of good advice already. I would also suggest that when downloading OnX maps for offline use, download further out than you think you will need. We were headed into a unit and I lost service before we arrived to our target area and did not have the maps downloaded to help get us there. As others have said, muzzleloaders did not inhibit our hunting at all, in fact we only saw vehicles and no other hunters the week we killed. The nice thing about the archery tag over the muzzleloaders is that the muzzleloaders can be contained to one particular unit. Bc of this, we hunted along the boundary of two units and had an entire herd to ourselves.

Other than that, stay mobile and willing to adapt strategies given the sign you are seeing or terrain you are in. I can't wait to get back out to CO and chase some bugling bulls, it was a great experience. Good luck!
PeteD

Unread postby PeteD » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:53 am

stash59 wrote:Kinda depends on the type of experience your looking to have. If you want to hear alot of bugling. I'd go after September 12th til maybe the 25th. Course that's also when you'll have the most hunting pressure too!! And you still may not hear alot of bugling during daylight hours.

If you chose an area that has more openings. Where glassing from high spots would work well. Then do spot and stalks. I'd go as early as possible. You'll have a little less competition. Sitting on water may work well too.

All this is great advice. Extensive digital scouting in a new unit this year resulted in 2 bulls for myself and a buddy I took. If you are hoping to hear at least some bugles target the 15-20th. I wouldn't worry about muzzle-loader week as an equal number of archers will likely not go that week.
Elk Hunter

Unread postby Elk Hunter » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:39 am

I'm one of those muzzleloader hunters you're concerned about. We won't hurt your hunt. I'm a still hunter who hunts the timber. Moving slow and quiet.

Whatever unit you end up hunting. Remember to have fun. Nothing beats elk hunting. :D
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:28 am

I read today that they ae changing some OTC to draw for 2020 Archery. Not sure the truth to it but it looked like a good chunk of units around 70
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:18 am

As another poster mentioned, yes, there are several units that are changing from OTC to drawing units this year. So, you might want to check if one of the units you are considering - A, B, C, D, or E - has moved from OTC to draw.

Go for as long as reasonably possible. It will decrease the learning curve and increase your chances of having an elk encounter significantly. Each week of the season has it's pros and cons.

Just go. Make it happen.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:30 am

Also, one important thing...…

Elk and deer are both in the deer family and have many similarities. However - when it comes to actually hunting elk, it is vastly different game. It took me a couple of trips out west to truly understand that you need to hunt elk very differently than you hunt deer. Along the way, it took me a long time to learn and actually understand that "elk are not deer" - I had to reprogram myself to forget many things/behaviors/tactics/skills I learned from years of whitetail deer hunting. Whitetail knowledge can be helpful....but it can also hold you back!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:27 am

Looking for a little help/advice.
My group of 4 is going to Colorado for the opener September 2. Plan to be out there a day or 2 before to scout a little and adjust to altitude. We are packing in and tenting. Then moving based on elk seen after a couple days.
We kinda have settled on 4 units based on research.
I’m hoping some of you can tell me a little info on these units to help my group narrow our focus.
Pm me.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:57 am

All the units west of I-25 have elk. If those are the units you have researched then I would have plans for all of them. You may need to pick up and move a few hours. You are not going to get away from people so deal with the pressure. Hunt a day or two the assess. If it’s no good, move. The mountains are big so take it slow. Good luck.
MedicineMan15

Unread postby MedicineMan15 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:19 pm

I wish you lots of luck. A friend and I are going on our 2nd elk hunt this year, first time in Colorado. We'll be there from the 11th to the 18th or so.
vtbuck
500 Club

Unread postby vtbuck » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:27 am

MedicineMan15 wrote:I wish you lots of luck. A friend and I are going on our 2nd elk hunt this year, first time in Colorado. We'll be there from the 11th to the 18th or so.

Muzzleloader opens the 12th as a FYI
Perfection is a dream, practice is hard work, and achieving a goal is making that goal a reality.
bowtechjim

Unread postby bowtechjim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 am

Looks like I'm going to be there from the 5th to the 18th. Have a pretty decent plane and am ready
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:31 am

Good luck! Enjoy the hunt.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”