Dan Infalt of Elk Hunting?

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

Re: Dan Infalt of Elk Hunting?

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:38 am

Going off from stash, you can find tendencies within the terrain that they will utilize (water, food, bedding). Sometimes you find them while cyber scouting.

D1711559-21C4-42EA-9B3C-0D9A0DC46FEC.jpeg

58C4DAF4-7E78-460C-B7C7-9CEE6382F7A9.jpeg

I should also mention there’s a difference in how the elk behave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:25 pm

tbunao wrote:Going off from stash, you can find tendencies within the terrain that they will utilize (water, food, bedding). Sometimes you find them while cyber scouting.

D1711559-21C4-42EA-9B3C-0D9A0DC46FEC.jpeg
58C4DAF4-7E78-460C-B7C7-9CEE6382F7A9.jpeg

I should also mention there’s a difference in how the elk behave

Adding to this. By looking at topo maps you can sometimes find what may be flat spots on steep hillsides. Any time the elevation lines get just a little wider apart. There may be a flat spot. Where they can bed. But it usually takes boots on the ground to confirm if a flat spot exists there or not. Finger ridges that step or have small military crest type formation. Often provide bedding spots.

I'll try to find some pics for references.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:17 pm

http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDmvNegCgw

Here's a pic of a highly pressured area I used to gun hunt. The flatter spots on the finger ridges are more obvious. Than the few on the sidehills. I'd actually like the lines just a little farther apart. For the areas I'd key in on for bedding on the sidehills.

Not saying I found actual beds or bedded elk in all of these. Quite a few of the finger ridge ones though. Just pointing out what to look for. That aren't as obvious to alot of other hunters. Like larger benches are. Like deer in hill country, these smaller flat areas often have beds behind bigger trees. That flatten even a little more.

This area actually burned back in the early 2000's. That's why there isn't any timber seen on the aerial. These spots usually need timber to be used as daytime bedding.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:33 pm

stash59 wrote:http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYXAtaGRychULEghTYXZlZE1hcBiAgIDmvNegCgw

Here's a pic of a highly pressured area I used to gun hunt. The flatter spots on the finger ridges are more obvious. Than the few on the sidehills. I'd actually like the lines just a little farther apart. For the areas I'd key in on for bedding on the sidehills.

Not saying I found actual beds or bedded elk in all of these. Quite a few of the finger ridge ones though. Just pointing out what to look for. That aren't as obvious to alot of other hunters. Like larger benches are. Like deer in hill country, these smaller flat areas often have beds behind bigger trees. That flatten even a little more.

This area actually burned back in the early 2000's. That's why there isn't any timber seen on the aerial. These spots usually need timber to be used as daytime bedding.

Lol I have a pin just north of magpie
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Good luck Redman, and good read, guys.

I've never went elk hunting (sorry for the second hand info), but my Dad has went with his brothers many times. I always ask a million questions and from what I've gathered, like others said, keep moving until you find them. Speed scout. The fam has their "go to" areas, and its always hit or miss. Sadly, quite a bit more miss than hit. Usually for four of them they'll come home with one. Typically a cow, sometimes a bull... and they're rifle hunting.

Their best year they killed one REAL nice bull, a two year old bull, and a cow. That year Dad said the sign was above and beyond what it normally was. They got lucky and the elk were where they wanted them to be. I know he focuses on benches big time. That's where he finds the majority of the beds and rubs. It's a pretty heavily wooded area and they normally watch the meadows in the evenings. They bed high and normally won't appear out in the open until after legal shooting time.

So depending on what you find (and how they rut... I think they're normally there post-rut) it could be a huntable situation if you find fresh sign with a nice bench on the topo with a meadow down below. Obviously thermals are a huge issue, but if you can sneak into a travel corridor with dropping thermals you might be in business. Its obvious you have good instincts when it comes to whitetails. Your kill zone posts have proven that. If you find the sign just trust your gut and you'll be in the game.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:33 am

Burn boot leather until you find them and don't be afraid to drive mountain roads and check sand for fresh tracks. You aren't hunting until you find them. Elk are where you find them, not necessarily where you study and hope they will be.

My first time out west, I thought they were supposed to be up high until snow pushed them down. A local was telling me to go low by the water, it was hot in early October.

Two solo trips in CO, I thought elk were supposed to be where the magazines said they were supposed to be. Then my third trip was to WY, and my cousin who lived out there said they are in the desert. He loved the red desert. Elk are where you find them. Find them then hunt them.

Good luck
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm

To answer your question, I don't know who the Dan Infalt of elk hunting is. It's funny because my hunting partner and I read and listen to experienced elk killers who have dramatically different means to success which fits their style. Some seem to cover a ton of ground until they find a bull who's willing to "play ball" and likely walk past countless elk that aren't in the mood. Others seem to find sign or spot elk and finesse them based on the activity level. I don't know what's better. Honestly, we'd gotten some close calls just by sitting near heavily worn drainage crossing areas and having elk come through on their daily down-to-feed up-to-bed patterns. But have also heard elk bugling up high at night from the tent. One thing that does seem to be a pretty common theme from successful hunters across the board is covering a lot of territory until they find fresh sign or hear elk. Sign is often plentiful, but fresh sign is not always.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Back in the day there were several people I listened to:
1) Dwight Schuh
2) Randy Ulmer
3) Larry Jones
4) Paul Brunner
5) Chuck Adams

All these and more were/are very accomplished elk hunters that have hunted all over elk country. As much as we want to find current you tube/social media stars, thinking they have some new key to success, animals really don't change much and people /tactics are not new.... what worked for elk/deer 20 years ago still works today. Fins old books/videos from any of the above and they will give you a great foundation - then it is up to you.... elk hunting can be very demanding and the get it done can leave people quickly..... train HARD, be aggressive and go find them - once you do, look for their travel pattern, USE the wind and don't over call. Isolated water holes can be fantastic ;)
youngbuck917

Unread postby youngbuck917 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:14 am

Just ran across this thread, I am actually headed out on my First DIY Archery OTC elk trip in 5 days. I plan on going out west to do several days of scouting before opening day and then hunt like crazy for a week.

I am going with 2 other guys plus myself. I am meeting up with 'Walking River' (From the HB) along with a buddy from high school. None of us have ever hunted elk before so here goes nothing. Having a second person to help with calling and packing meat is going to he a huge advantage, especially for your first time. If you understand how thermals work you are doing well because elk use the thermals to their advantage as do whitetail deer in hill country.

I see others have mentioned Elk101, Born & Raised Outdoors, and Randy Newburg. All of these are good tools for learning to get started but I think there are some other hunting channels / podcasts that are more educational.

For anyone who is interested in learning more about elk hunting check out Roe Hunting Resources & ElkBros Blue collar Elk Hunting.

In my opinion these guys are the closest thing to the 'Dan Infalt' of Elk hunting.

I will try to remember to post pics after the hunt is done. Maybe even start a thread on here for all the guys from the beast who are trying to go out west for the first time.

Best of luck
Littleviking88

Unread postby Littleviking88 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:29 pm

Check out roehuntingresources.com--Chris Roe does a great job in his modules (you do have to pay but it's worth it and affordable!) of explaining elk behavior and breaking down elk vocalizations. He talks about various principles that he has learned through observation, i.e. See you first, Hear you second, Smell you third; or The Doorway principle. My mind was blown once I dug into his content. I believe an annual subscription for the elk module is $35 or you can do the deer, turkey and elk module for around $55/year. You can watch some of the content, although limited, on YouTube.

I too will be heading out to Colorado this year, Unit 161/116. Best of luck!

-Josh
Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Understanding an elk's biological needs and differences from a whitetail is essential for your success.

Additionally, understanding where pressured elk go, and where people don't within OTC units will be essential for your success.

Every exceptional hunter is successful because they have mastered or tailored a craft, skill, and most importantly a method, that leads to their success. Elk hunting has arguably the widest range of tactics that can be applied in pursuit. Hunting each stage of the rut through September alone offers the opportunity to utilize an almost endless amount of tactics that can lead to your success. Try to go out there and figure out, by the end of your trip, which of these tactics you'd like to apply in your next trip and how you can improve or try to master those tactics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”