DIY archery elk hunt advise needed

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

DIY archery elk hunt advise needed

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:16 pm

I made up my mind to go on an archery elk hunt in 2020. I plan on hunting Montana or Idaho, but I have not even began looking into it. I don't have any experience or equipment for an elk hunt, could any one recommend any books, videos or websites that might be a good help to me? Any recommendations on a type of pack frame or other gear that I should look at or stay away from?

purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: DIY archery elk hunt advise needed

Unread postby purebowhunting » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:29 pm

Elk 101 is worth the investment.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Elk talk podcast just had one about how you should go about applying for Montana, I’m sure Idaho will be up soon. Corey, one of the hosts also runs Elk101 (worth investing as said above). As far as gear, a million different ways to go about it. Everything depends on how you choose to go about the hunt such as time of year, camp, hunting style, etc. Elk101 also just did a series similar to The Hunting Public called “ Destination Elk”, give a good insight about the daily grind chasing these amazing animals.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 pm

I will agree with elk101. Tons of useful info and easy to understand. GoHunt would be another place to invest but I would hold off on that until next year. It will help you decide on where to hunt with the applications and animals. For gear, don’t over think the stuff. You probably own a bunch of very usable gear. Sleep systems, glass, boots and and packs are my priority but still can be done with killing your budget. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. I’m no expert but spend most of September chasing elk. I can give you what my experiences have been with gear.
After all that my best advice; enjoy the suck and stay positive. Elk hunting is hard and it will wear you down. Enjoy it!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Thanks, I had never heard of ELK 101 before, but I see Randy Newburg promotes so it must be pretty legit. I lost my best hunting partner this last year, is doing a pack in backcountry elk hunt solo a bad idea or should I seek out a new hunting buddy?
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:20 am

Not a bad idea but you have to be prepared. Outdoor skills are good to have but nothing major. The backpack hunt does require some upgrading in gear but still can be done with a second mortgage. For a first time you may want to plan on going out for 2/3 days then back to a base camp. It’s not as overwhelming that way and keeps you more mobile if the animals are not playing nice. Over all if the choices are solo or no hunting, I say hunt. If a partner is better, look around. I take new people all the time. All they did was ask. You can find someone willing to help you out.
The Runt

Unread postby The Runt » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:26 am

It all really depends on the type of terrain you will be hunting, whether you are doing day trips, or back packing deep for several days at a time. In my opinion you can get away with whitetail gear if you are coming back to a spot everyday. If you are going deep and staying for several days(5-10) your gear invest will be more.

On the gear note, buy nice or buy twice!!!! Since I started heading west in 2012, I look at whitetail hunting so much different. Hunting in the mountains gets in your blood. If I had to choose between mountain hunting and whitetails the choose would be an easy one! I guess what I am getting at with all my rambling is once you invest in gear you will get your use out of it because you will want to head back every year.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:06 pm

First thing I’d look at is the odds of getting a tag in either state, draw results, application deadlines, etc.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:22 pm

The buy once, cry once idea is usually a good way to go. However, there are some gear options that are amazing for the price. The Costco Cascade Mountain trekking poles are $30 and will preform with the best. There are some great options in shelters too. VIam (6 am) and jimmy tarps both make nice stuff for a reasonable price. I still rate your sleep system number 1 and would put more into that. Make sure you test out the gear first. It’s horrible to find out your gear is not up to standards on the mountain.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:34 am

There is a lot more to this than I first thought, but I am always up for a challenge!!
strehb18

Unread postby strehb18 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:39 pm

This may sound weird, but for your first time, especially solo, I would not do a backpack hunt. I would be looking for an area where you can car camp from. If your heart is set on backpacking, go for it. Having a small camp makes your meals better which gives you better energy to keep getting after it every day.

I've done a two week solo elk hunt for the last two years, and car/truck camping makes it much more manageable. Then you know that if you luck into an animal you can get it back to your vehicle quick enough.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:04 am

Any questions about MT shoot me a pm.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:12 am

Also check Rokslide.com.
Sequoia

Unread postby Sequoia » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:19 am

I've hunted Montana in the past and should be hunting there again this year pending whether or not I draw a tag :pray: Results of the draw post next week!
You should absolutely purchase a preference point for Montana between July 1st and Sept 30th of this year. That will just about gaurantee you and elk tag for 2020. If you do not, you will only have about a 53% chance of drawing the tag.

gohunt.com is a huge resource, i have a membership there and it is worth every penny. It allows you to select units and get in depth information about draw odds, access and elk populations.

If you've never hunted elk, ELK 101 and the course they offer (University of Elk Hunting) is a must. Also, watch "land of the Free" by Born and Raised Outdoors for some awesome DIY public land elk hunts; those guys get it done consistantly. You can find them on YouTube.

Good luck! Let me know if you have questions. I'll be hunting Wyoming in 2020.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqRiLH ... cRsR3Xgj4w

"Powder Dry. Morale High. "

- Col Ripley
bigbuckhunter88
500 Club

Unread postby bigbuckhunter88 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Ditto to everyone above. I haven't went but am gearing up for one. I like podcasts because I can listen at work. Hunt Backcountry is a new one I found and really enjoy along with Elk Talk and Randy Newberg. Also enjoy watching Born and Raised and Elk 101 on YouTube along with Phelps content and The Bugler.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”