Elk Topo Question

Elk, Moose, Pronghorn, African Game, ect. Behaviors, Hunting Stories, Pictures, Tactics, Q&A.
bowhunter15
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/DIY-Spor ... 3136327062

Elk Topo Question

Unread postby bowhunter15 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:36 am

Here's the area myself and two buddies are planning on going into. The trailhead is at the bottom right of the red line. No ATVs allowed. Then I was thinking of hiking up along the red line and camping in or near that saddled open area at about 10100ft. I'm figuring that just west of that spot is another local peak at about 10400, and the whole area is well wooded with a couple saddles. Camping up high should give plenty of opportunities to "hunt down". Pressure coming from the trailhead could potentially push elk up that drainage on the south and through the saddles on the SW to get west of that big ridge. The peak at the very bottom left is over 11,000ft I believe. In fact, west of the ridge connecting the 10,400ft peak and the 11,000 foot peak looks like a pretty good, wooded drainage that is also a tougher access for hunters, I would think.

This is a rifle hunt. There might be snow on the tallest peaks already. Light snow is forecasted. Temps are forecasted to be highs in the 40s-low 50s and lows in the upper 20s and low 30s. The town these are forecasted for is just under 8000 feet, so I'm expecting that temps up in the 10000 foot range will be 7-13 degrees colder. Does anyone see anything on these maps that looks like it might be worth a shot? I've never done this before. My plan was to just set up near any given saddle on a ridgetop before first light, and wait there until the thermals start rising, then still-hunting down the drainage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Big Game Hunting”