Fishing opener in 3 days

• Advertisement

HB Store

BRoth82
500 Club

Fishing opener in 3 days

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:08 am

The spring walleye/Northern pike/bass opener is only a couple days away now here in MN. I typically don't fish for walleyes, so I'll be out bass fishing. The water temps are in the low to mid 50's and with the sunshine the panfish bite up shallow has been on fire, and contrary to popular belief they are not up spawning, that's still a few weeks to a month out.

Good luck to everyone heading out fishing this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moose
500 Club

Re: Fishing opener in 3 days

Unread postby Moose » Fri May 14, 2021 4:21 am

Looks great! I have family up there and I really wanna go try to catch some walleyes even if I have to get a guide since no one has a boat. I'm hoping to get out next week with this warm up, it has been very cold in the mornings lately. Good luck!
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri May 14, 2021 4:32 am

I’ll be getting out after some eyes on Sunday! However I’m not gonna pass up anything that wants to take a ride hole to the fryer! Good luck!
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 am

Moose wrote:Looks great! I have family up there and I really wanna go try to catch some walleyes even if I have to get a guide since no one has a boat. I'm hoping to get out next week with this warm up, it has been very cold in the mornings lately. Good luck!

What part of minnesota? I grew up fishing North of Grand Rapids, but now live around the Willmar area.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:47 am

isitseasonyet? wrote:I’ll be getting out after some eyes on Sunday! However I’m not gonna pass up anything that wants to take a ride hole to the fryer! Good luck!

I'll have my kiddos with and wife so, lots of bites is what o look for. Bass are going to be up shallow bitting, and can use some easy tactics to catch them. Might try to get a few sunnies and crappies if I can stop bass fishing long enough to catch them.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat May 15, 2021 12:45 am

BRoth82 wrote:
Moose wrote:Looks great! I have family up there and I really wanna go try to catch some walleyes even if I have to get a guide since no one has a boat. I'm hoping to get out next week with this warm up, it has been very cold in the mornings lately. Good luck!

What part of minnesota? I grew up fishing North of Grand Rapids, but now live around the Willmar area.

I'm not familiar with MN to much. My brother and sister both live in suburbs of the cities. Bloomington and Victoria.
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sun May 16, 2021 8:45 am

Opener was slow made it out for a couple hours, caught 6 bass and a pair of northerns. Also caught the biggest fish out of the water, at 191 pounds. Luckily the jig only went in up to the barb hurt like heck though. I tried to boat flip a 3 pounder and the jig shot like a rocket and hit my arm.

The big bass was 18" long and weighted in at 4# 10oz, really fat bugger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Mon May 17, 2021 3:43 am

Thats a darn nice bass around these parts. Haven't made it out yet working all weekend. The weather looks nice mon and tue. Plus the lakes will be quieter and should have some reports in of what the walleyes were doin.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”