New Twist For Perch / Walleye Recipes?

rutnbuck

Re: New Twist For Perch / Walleye Recipes?

Unread postby rutnbuck » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 am

Saltine crackers and panko crumbs ground up in the food processor 50/50 mix.
Egg and milk.
Fry
Salt to taste
Note: I have a fish scaler so I like the skin on my panfish, walleye I just zip, chunk and fry. Same mix goes on those species.

Enjoy!!!

Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:01 am

Trying Andy’s red with some fresh eyes.

Might have a winner here. Very simple, thin breading, and just enough seasoning to help out but not overpower. Just need more fish :L:
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

I’m definitely going to find some Andy’s and give it a go!

I have to admit I’m a big fan of Shorelunch.. and I get rave reviews from the crowds, I’ve got it down!
krent12
Facebook: Kyle Rentmeester

Unread postby krent12 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:42 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
krent12 wrote:If your not a big oil fan like I am.

Preheat oven to 400
Crush up graham crackers and Cajun shore lunch.
Dunk in egg and milk.
Spray pan
15 min one side 10 on other. No grease and a lil spicy!

I'm definitely going to try this...

Be careful on how much Cajun you put in the first time. I added the whole bag to a quart full bag of blue gills and it was HOT coming in and going out.

Also the key so the key is after you dunk the fish in the egg and shake it in the Cajun and ritz crackers* (idk why I said graham crackers) let them sit on a paper towel for 10 min it helps hold the crackers on
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:30 pm

Jonny wrote:Trying Andy’s red with some fresh eyes.

Might have a winner here. Very simple, thin breading, and just enough seasoning to help out but not overpower. Just need more fish :L:

Man that looks good!! Glad you liked it. For me, their seasoning blend is SPOT ON. Wouldn’t change a thing.

With Andy’s, I don’t throw the filet in the seasoning when it’s drenched/dripping with water. I prefer to wet it then lay both sides down on a paper towel to get rid of the excess water. It doesn’t take much moisture at all to get the seasoning to stick. Super wet filets tends to clump the seasoning up (in the bag or bowl or whatever you’re shaking it in) if you’re making a lot of fish. If you’re only making a little then it doesn’t really matter.

I like to cook mine very hot and fast. Usually flip it multiple times to get the extra “Golden” colored crisp on the outside.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:32 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I’m definitely going to find some Andy’s and give it a go!

I have to admit I’m a big fan of Shorelunch.. and I get rave reviews from the crowds, I’ve got it down!

Shore lunch cornmeal blend was my go to before Andy’s. Good stuff for sure.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:48 pm

Im working on my 2nd 5 pound bag ;) it says on the back 5 lbs will do 28-32 pounds of fish. Couldn’t remember what I paid so looked it up and it’s on Amazon for just shy of $20. Can also get two 10 oz bags for just under $10.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:18 pm

Lockdown wrote:

Man that looks good!! Glad you liked it. For me, their seasoning blend is SPOT ON. Wouldn’t change a thing.

With Andy’s, I don’t throw the filet in the seasoning when it’s drenched/dripping with water. I prefer to wet it then lay both sides down on a paper towel to get rid of the excess water. It doesn’t take much moisture at all to get the seasoning to stick. Super wet filets tends to clump the seasoning up (in the bag or bowl or whatever you’re shaking it in) if you’re making a lot of fish. If you’re only making a little then it doesn’t really matter.

I like to cook mine very hot and fast. Usually flip it multiple times to get the extra “Golden” colored crisp on the outside.

I dried mine as well. I very rarely ever go for a batter and usually prefer a very thin breading. This one is perfect, and honestly it’s dirt cheap. $1.66 for a bag and I might have used a quarter of it. Very happy with it, and probably won’t ever be going back to shore lunch.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 am

Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

I dried mine as well. I very rarely ever go for a batter and usually prefer a very thin breading. This one is perfect, and honestly it’s dirt cheap. $1.66 for a bag and I might have used a quarter of it. Very happy with it, and probably won’t ever be going back to shore lunch.

Wow, that price is righteous!! Are you ordering it online or most of the sporting stores have it?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 am

Singing Bridge wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Wow, that price is righteous!! Are you ordering it online or most of the sporting stores have it?

I’m sure that will be hit and miss. I get mine at Fleet Farm, but have seen it in a few bigger grocery stores. Seems like most small town stores don’t stock it. I try to support local businesses but am guilty of going the fast, easy, cheap Amazon route sometimes lol

After I posted last night I looked up shorelunch on Amazon and it is roughly twice the price of Andy’s.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:54 am

rutnbuck wrote:Saltine crackers and panko crumbs ground up in the food processor 50/50 mix.
Egg and milk.
Fry
Salt to taste
Note: I have a fish scaler so I like the skin on my panfish, walleye I just zip, chunk and fry. Same mix goes on those species.

Enjoy!!!

I definitely like the skin on panfish, right on !
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 am

Lockdown wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:
Jonny wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

I’m sure that will be hit and miss. I get mine at Fleet Farm, but have seen it in a few bigger grocery stores. Seems like most small town stores don’t stock it. I try to support local businesses but am guilty of going the fast, easy, cheap Amazon route sometimes lol

After I posted last night I looked up shorelunch on Amazon and it is roughly twice the price of Andy’s.

Got it at meijer
P&YBuck1
500 Club

Unread postby P&YBuck1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

I have one recipe and then a few add-ons to existing recipes.

Quick tips:
- For beer battered recipes use a dark beer to give it a good beer taste versus a lighter amber beer
- Try adding to your breading Tabasco sauce to give it a nice flavor

Ritz cracker recipe:
- Originally this called for mayonnaise to coat fish, but since my son is allergic to eggs and dairy, we just lightly coat in olive oil
- Crumble up some Ritz crackers
- Add salt and pepper to taste to crumbled Ritz
- Coat fish in olive oil, then roll in crumbled Ritz crackers
- Back at 375 Degrees for about 15-20 minutes. You can tell when the Ritz crackers turn back to their original darker color the fish is done.

Then enjoy with a beverage of your choice :)
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:47 am

P&YBuck1 wrote:I have one recipe and then a few add-ons to existing recipes.

Quick tips:
- For beer battered recipes use a dark beer to give it a good beer taste versus a lighter amber beer
- Try adding to your breading Tabasco sauce to give it a nice flavor

Ritz cracker recipe:
- Originally this called for mayonnaise to coat fish, but since my son is allergic to eggs and dairy, we just lightly coat in olive oil
- Crumble up some Ritz crackers
- Add salt and pepper to taste to crumbled Ritz
- Coat fish in olive oil, then roll in crumbled Ritz crackers
- Back at 375 Degrees for about 15-20 minutes. You can tell when the Ritz crackers turn back to their original darker color the fish is done.

Then enjoy with a beverage of your choice :)

Definitely going to try this baked recipe. Any great grill recipes ?
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:53 am

Lockdown wrote:I’m a huge fan of Andy’s Red.

I used to experiment with different home made blends and also store bought. Shore Lunch, Fry Magic, etc I tried them all. But as soon as I tried Andy’s Red I decided the search was over ;)

Best part is all you do is wet the filet with water and shake it in the breading. Filet will have a nice even coat every time. Doesn’t get easier than that.

Andy’s red ended my search too. It’s like the stealth strips of breading. “I put that sh** on everything” Chicken, onion rings, ECT

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”