A Crappie Life

• Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: A Crappie Life

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:51 am

Starting to get a lil burned out. Think I might go bow fishing tomorrow or possibly even catfishing.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:39 am

Haven’t done much fishing this post spawn. Been trying to set myself up for whitetail success on my free time. Did manage to get out a couple times. Here’s the highlights.

-John Wayne-
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 pm

8-)
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:14 pm

Dang u done good
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:44 pm

I suppose one good thing about these 70 degree days is the crappie are really fattening up for winter. Slipped into a creek bend late this evening and caught 13 good sized ones pretty quick. Made the land owner I shot my buck from this year a hot plate. Think I’m golden for atleast another season. Yabba Dabba Doo!

-John Wayne-
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:06 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:I suppose one good thing about these 70 degree days is the crappie are really fattening up for winter. Slipped into a creek bend late this evening and caught 13 good sized ones pretty quick. Made the land owner I shot my buck from this year a hot plate. Think I’m golden for atleast another season. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Now that looks GOOD!
If ya can bribe a landowner for hunting priveleges there's probably no better way to do it.

Two thumbs up.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:26 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I suppose one good thing about these 70 degree days is the crappie are really fattening up for winter. Slipped into a creek bend late this evening and caught 13 good sized ones pretty quick. Made the land owner I shot my buck from this year a hot plate. Think I’m golden for atleast another season. Yabba Dabba Doo!

Now that looks GOOD!
If ya can bribe a landowner for hunting priveleges there's probably no better way to do it.

Two thumbs up.

Kinda crazy deal these days. I mean you think things are going well and then Boom! Your on the outs. Not as bad with hunting grounds. But I sweet talk my way into parking to fish. Some of these folks are nuts. Try to give em fish and they tell you they like em cleaned. Then evidentially tell you they wanna catch em themselves and your no longer welcomed. All good but why they think I just won’t go to their neighbors baffles me. I mean I say I understand and they see me walking to the house next door and ask what am I doing. I might talk slow but I know how to play a game of let’s make a deal and go out of my way to stick it in the necks of folks who wanna put me on the outs.
-John Wayne-
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Now that looks GOOD!

Two thumbs up.

Kinda crazy deal these days. I mean you think things are going well and then Boom! Your on the outs. Not as bad with hunting grounds. But I sweet talk my way into parking to fish. Some of these folks are nuts. Try to give em fish and they tell you they like em cleaned. Then evidentially tell you they wanna catch em themselves and your no longer welcomed. All good but why they think I just won’t go to their neighbors baffles me. I mean I say I understand and they see me walking to the house next door and ask what am I doing. I might talk slow but I know how to play a game of let’s make a deal and go out of my way to stick it in the necks of folks who wanna put me on the outs.

So what you're saying is that people can be kinda screwy? :think:
I find that a bit hard to believe.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:02 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Now that looks GOOD!

Two thumbs up.

So what you're saying is that people can be kinda screwy? :think:
I find that a bit hard to believe.

Screwy isn’t the word I would use. But yes….. There’s some real rope suckers out there.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:07 am

Anyone gearing up for the spring thump yet? My home lake is 2.5 ft low currently. If this trend continues I suspect a great crappie spring. I went out yesterday and sank a lil brush on a good slope in what I’m guessing will be a good depth in about 3 weeks.

Went to tie me up a bunch of jigs today but seemed to misplace all my lead heads. Crap! Just ordered a thousand in 1/16oz. Should last me a lifetime. :lol:
-John Wayne-
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:20 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone gearing up for the spring thump yet? My home lake is 2.5 ft low currently. If this trend continues I suspect a great crappie spring. I went out yesterday and sank a lil brush on a good slope in what I’m guessing will be a good depth in about 3 weeks.

Went to tie me up a bunch of jigs today but seemed to misplace all my lead heads. Crap! Just ordered a thousand in 1/16oz. Should last me a lifetime. :lol:

Where did you order your jigs from? My supplier closed up shop a few years back and my dad and I bought a ton the last year we could

I go through like 108lbs worth a year now that I get to take my in laws drift fishing on the river. Usually use 1/8oz as an all season, 1/16 when I feel like putting the hurt on the walleyes.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:23 am

I really would like to up my game on crappie fishing and try to target them hard this spring. Any pointers for a newbie?
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:24 am

Double post
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:41 am

Jonny wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Anyone gearing up for the spring thump yet? My home lake is 2.5 ft low currently. If this trend continues I suspect a great crappie spring. I went out yesterday and sank a lil brush on a good slope in what I’m guessing will be a good depth in about 3 weeks.

Where did you order your jigs from? My supplier closed up shop a few years back and my dad and I bought a ton the last year we could

I go through like 108lbs worth a year now that I get to take my in laws drift fishing on the river. Usually use 1/8oz as an all season, 1/16 when I feel like putting the hurt on the walleyes.

I like to order lead heads local cause I buy in bulk. Shipping would cost more than the jigs due to weight. Don’t mind sharing where I got mine just saying it will be pricey with shipping those suckers cross country. I like the guy I use cause he will customize size of lead with any size/kind of hook I want. Last few years I’ve been turned onto sickle hooks. Standard shallow fishing I like a 1/16 with #4 hook. But in the thick stuff I prefer a 1/16 with #6. Also got some 1/4oz heads with a #6 hook. Should see them suckers :lol: If they ain’t biting I beat em over the head with that shot put!
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:49 am

Moose wrote:I really would like to up my game on crappie fishing and try to target them hard this spring. Any pointers for a newbie?

Yes! Find the best lake in your driving distance known for good crappie fishing. Focus your efforts here. Some lakes just stink for crappie. Look for long coves that have arms branching off. Water will warm here first. Focus your early spring efforts here. Spawning crappie only need a few things…. Protected water, hard bottom sand/gravel, cover, and slope. You find these things close to a creek channel u will be in the chips! Run and gun til you find them. Then slow the eff down and probe around. Crappie hang in groups. Never just 1.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Game fish, pan fish, and general fishing talk”