Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

KRONIIK
500 Club

Re: Panfish

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri May 28, 2021 11:35 pm

clandestine.misfit wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:Any of you panfish guys have any very general advice for a (non-fisherman, for the most part), who has a chance next week to get my kids out on pontoon boat on a 100 acre lake in Northern Wisconsin next week?

It's supposed to have decent crappies and bluegills; maybe some bass.
Cabin owner says he expects the bluegill fishing to be starting up pretty decent; not sure but maybe they're staging to spawn?

The lake is 14 feet deep with a sandy/rocky bottom, if that means anything.

Where are you headed to?

A friend has a family vacation cabin, (a beautiful multi-room Lodge really-it's nice), that needs some column support repair work on the second-floor wraparound deck.
footings.
I'm going up to work on it for a few days.; his family will be up there for the weekend but heading back home Tuesday when I plan to arrive.

It's on Currie Lake north of Tomahawk and a mile or two East of Hwy 51.

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat May 29, 2021 1:34 am

clandestine.misfit wrote:Weighted bobber over a [b]rat finkee or any ice fishing jig with 2 spikes on it.[/b] Get your spikes from the mke area if you’re able too because they won’t have any up there. Cast it out. Hesitate a second. And litterally wiggle the tip of your rod up and down as you’re reeling in and just watch the bobber.

For us in the non-lake freezing zones.....what is that??
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Sat May 29, 2021 1:43 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:
clandestine.misfit wrote:Weighted bobber over a [b]rat finkee or any ice fishing jig with 2 spikes on it.[/b] Get your spikes from the mke area if you’re able too because they won’t have any up there. Cast it out. Hesitate a second. And litterally wiggle the tip of your rod up and down as you’re reeling in and just watch the bobber.

Tiny jig head with a plastic /rubbery shaft on it. They’re made by custom baits and jigs. Or some company with a name similar.

Also i prefer dark colors on the rat finkee cause it seems like the panfish prefer dark colors.

AND DONT GET THE TUNGSTEN ONES they do not have the same action
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat May 29, 2021 11:40 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:

Tiny jig head with a plastic /rubbery shaft on it. They’re made by custom baits and jigs. Or some company with a name similar.

Also i prefer dark colors on the rat finkee cause it seems like the panfish prefer dark colors.

AND DONT GET THE TUNGSTEN ONES they do not have the same action

The cabin owner mentioned having good luck with what he called "tube jigs".
Is that similar to what you're using?
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm

Tube jig is different you can fish them without a bobber, they are a 1.5" tube I really like red and white or smoke, then you have a jig hook inside the tube. Again you can play with the weight of the jig hook to very the sink rate to see what they want.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Sat May 29, 2021 3:42 pm

I've been using a down sized drop shot rig tipped with small gulp. Basically a 1/2oz or so sinker on the end of your line with a hook tied up however far you want to be off bottom. Can cast it out and hop it back or vertical fish it in thicker weeds.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sun May 30, 2021 11:32 am

clandestine.misfit wrote:Where are you headed to?

Correction to my earlier reply to that question:

Currie Lake is actually a little further North of Tomahawk, WI, than I thought it was; it's actually about 16 miles North of that town.
And about a half a mile East of 51.

You familiar with that area by any chance?
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:46 pm

KRONIIK wrote:

Currie Lake is actually a little further North of Tomahawk, WI, than I thought it was; it's actually about 16 miles North of that town.

I was just up in the chequamagon forest a little north west of there over the weekend. The panfish wanted nothing to do with the rat finkees and spikes. Clip on bobber. Split shot. A hook and a red worm were the key. If they weren’t hitting it I’d reel back slowly enough to keep the bobber tipped upright the whole time and they’d smash it. Hopefully i got to you enough before your trip. Also if you have the time stop at Rollie and helens musky shop a bit north of there on 51. It’s a cool spot.
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:35 pm

KRONIIK wrote:

I was just up in the chequamagon forest a little north west of there over the weekend. The panfish wanted nothing to do with the rat finkees and spikes. Clip on bobber. Split shot. A hook and a red worm were the key. If they weren’t hitting it I’d reel back slowly enough to keep the bobber tipped upright the whole time and they’d smash it. Hopefully i got to you enough before your trip. Also if you have the time stop at Rollie and helens musky shop a bit north of there on 51. It’s a cool spot.

Panfish bite has been great and yes I'll be stopping at rollie's again, and again, and again.......
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:51 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Panfish bite has been great and yes I'll be stopping at rollie's again, and again, and again.......

I just stopped there today on the way home. My feel started grinding a bit and i decided it was time to get some stuff for proper maintenance on all of my reels. I also bought some stuff i didn’t need hahaha
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:24 am

KRONIIK wrote:

Cool!

We were up there since the previous Tuesday morning and just got home this afternoon, (Friday the 4th).

I was working on that cabin most of the time, but the kids got out fishing for a couple hours each day.
They tried a couple variation's on your themes, and they had the best luck with a yellow Creme Mini-Tail on a pink or orange 1/32 oz. jig.

A couple times a small piece of fresh leech on the same jig worked as well.
(All they caught were Bluegills; I guess they were on the beds from what they could see.)
But they also got one 20-inch Northern on the same rigs!

Cabin owner told us to hit a particular section of submerged brush and that we'd surely limit out on black crappies there.
Nope.
Nothing but bluegill after bluegill, (which was fine by us)
They were great eating, as always!

We'll check out Rollie and Helen's next time we head up there; I'm not what anyone would call a fisherman but even I had heard of them!

Didn't know that they were not far from there.
clandestine.misfit

Unread postby clandestine.misfit » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:01 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
KRONIIK wrote:

Cool!

We were up there since the previous Tuesday morning and just got home this afternoon, (Friday the 4th).

I was working on that cabin most of the time, but the kids got out fishing for a couple hours each day.
They tried a couple variation's on your themes, and they had the best luck with a yellow Creme Mini-Tail on a pink or orange 1/32 oz. jig.

A couple times a small piece of fresh leech on the same jig worked as well.
(All they caught were Bluegills; I guess they were on the beds from what they could see.)
But they also got one 20-inch Northern on the same rigs!

Cabin owner told us to hit a particular section of submerged brush and that we'd surely limit out on black crappies there.
Nope.
Nothing but bluegill after bluegill, (which was fine by us)
They were great eating, as always!

We'll check out Rollie and Helen's next time we head up there; I'm not what anyone would call a fisherman but even I had heard of them!

Didn't know that they were not far from there.

The crappies have not been playing fair this year anywhere lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”