Taking my son fishing for the first time

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
Jonny
500 Club

Re: Taking my son fishing for the first time

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:12 pm

Walleyes were snapping on the Wisconsin on Saturday. Great fishing the rest of the year out there FYI. Sometimes I question why I hunt after I don’t see anything when I can go catch walleyes by the hundred. Plus the nuisance muskies cats and crappies thrown in.

You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:01 am

Dad has pictures of me in diapers fishing, holding fish, etc. Great time to start your son.

One comment - kids aren't as interested in fishing if the rod isn't bent over and something tugging. Shore-based fishing allows for exploring, catching frogs & crayfish, tossing rocks in, etc. Might help save a boring trip.

I took a buddy's son out for flats redfish fishing and he was bored 30 minutes into it - we caught our two fish and left. Couldn't stand the thought of being the reason the kid didn't have any fun.
My stepson did the same stuff - he likes to fish but can't go 1/2 hour without a bite... So we always planned beach/fishing trips - still do now that he's 25+/-.

I used to eat sleep and wake fishing. love it.
Engine

Unread postby Engine » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:23 pm

I actually just took my daughters (3&5) fishing for the first time yesterday. They had the disney princess rods from Wally World.

I had one rigged with the "casting trainer", basically a little plastic fish with weight to it so they can cast it. So I'd cast for one with an actual hook and bait while the other was basically playing with the rod (probably scaring the fish away in hindsight). Lasted for 45 minutes with some hits but no success fish wise.

Next time I'll try getting the hook hiding bobbers and see how that works.

Hope everything works out with your 18 month old!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:39 pm

We went fishing sunday. Took the advice on here and decided to leave the canoe at home. Also got minnows and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and that was a great tip he loved that.

Right away he wanted to be near the water. He soaked his feet and that surprised him when he felt the cold water. Then we played around casting a couple lines out an finally about 10 minutes in he fell face first into the lake and got soaked :lol: I was right next to him and pulled him upright in an instant but he was just crying and upset so we quick packed up and got him in dry clothes and left.

I would say it turned out about as good as I expected and was a success :lol:
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:41 pm

:handgestures-thumbup:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:50 pm

Lockdown wrote:When you pick up worms, buy a few minnows and put them in a minnow bucket and let him play. That will occupy him for a long time. Then try and hook a sunnie and let him reel it in. Bring a 5 gallon bucket so you can put your fish in there with some water. They get more enjoyment out of stuff like that than actually catching them.

I had both my kids out there at very young ages too. They don’t last very long in the boat, so have a back up plan. Throw rocks off the dock, etc.

Yupp. I beach fish with my kids (2,4,6) they have more fun using the thingy to catch sandfleas and filling my bait bucket up with sand and sea weed. Oh and they love standing right behind me when I get ready to cast. My older son decided his favorite fish is a catfish so he usually isn’t hard to please... :lol:

It’s a rodeo when they are young.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:54 pm

sounds like a good start
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:38 pm

hunter_mike wrote:We went fishing sunday. Took the advice on here and decided to leave the canoe at home. Also got minnows and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and that was a great tip he loved that.

Right away he wanted to be near the water. He soaked his feet and that surprised him when he felt the cold water. Then we played around casting a couple lines out an finally about 10 minutes in he fell face first into the lake and got soaked :lol: I was right next to him and pulled him upright in an instant but he was just crying and upset so we quick packed up and got him in dry clothes and left.

I would say it turned out about as good as I expected and was a success :lol:

That sounds about right :lol: it’s a challenge when they’re that little
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:41 am

I've been taking mine fishing since they could hold poles. We usually hit farm ponds. In the beginning they would go for 10-30 minutes. Now at 4 and 6 I usually have to pull them away after two hours of baking in the sun. When they were real young I would throw their life jackets on them and turn them loose on the frogs. My youngest is a frog catching machine, I've seen him take right off into the cattails diving after them.
20190805_130753.jpg

20190726_131128.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Buckshot20
500 Club

Unread postby Buckshot20 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:56 am

I am a bonafied fishing guide. Not the kind that gets paid, but I bait hooks and tend to lines all day when I take my kids. It’s totally worth it though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:35 pm

8-)
I've got some work to do!!

We took my son out for a kayak ride Saturday, decided not to overcomplicate things by adding fishing to it. He was really calm and I think he loved his ride. Was about ten minutes on the water. It helped there was no wind
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

I took my nephew out to a farm pond loaded with 10-12" bass. Almost catch one on every cast. He caught 9 bass and i bet missed 50 lol. He was so happy. Its great getting kids in the outdoors.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:15 am

Follow up on this, I have taken my son out probably 5 times since this and he is getting to like it. He is 3 now. He insists on touching each fish :lol: but he wont reel anything in yet. He keeps asking me to go fishing though so that's a good thing.

Saturday my buddy was with us and caught this big ole sheepshead and we took that thing home and ate it :lol:
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:26 am

8-) fun
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:35 am

I took my Grand daughter out for her 1st try at fishing last weekend. I took her somewhere where I new she would catch fish. I made it about her ans what she wanted to do. I kept it on shore for the 1st time. I did not make her bait hooks, or remove fish and talked with her constantly answering every question she had... We let all the fish go to keep her happy... Its all about them having a fun enjoyable experiance they will want to repeat... By the time we were done she said she wanted to go again, and surprised me with saying she wants to go deer hunting

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”