Taking my son fishing for the first time

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

hunter_mike

Taking my son fishing for the first time

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:02 am

This weekend I'm planning on taking my son fishing for the first time. He is only a little over a year and a half old. So this is going to be a pretty short and simple trip. Thought I would post it up here to see if anyone had any good advice.

My current plan is to put my wife and son in my sportspal canoe and target bluegill/crappie with bobber, hook and worm. Hopefully there will be fair weather and minimal wind so we can easily float around some of the docks and piers. I am not even sure if this is a good tactic for this time of year.

I am not expecting much for results but it would be cooler if we landed a bunch!

Oh yeah, we will all be wearing PFD's!

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
stash59

Re: Taking my son fishing for the first time

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:07 am

Have fun!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:06 pm

8-)
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:28 pm

:clap: That age they tend to do more watching than anything in my experience. But hey, it beats when there 4 or 5 and more fascinated with chunking rocks. Best tip I can give for taking a kid fishing is get them a cheap telescopic rod from Wally World. The kind with no reel! Then tie on just a few feet of line. This will save u mucho time untangling knots, retying from hang ups etc... Plus there super light weight. Bobber is a great idea cause it holds there attention. And take lots of pics!!!
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:45 pm

When you pick up worms, buy a few minnows and put them in a minnow bucket and let him play. That will occupy him for a long time. Then try and hook a sunnie and let him reel it in. Bring a 5 gallon bucket so you can put your fish in there with some water. They get more enjoyment out of stuff like that than actually catching them.

I had both my kids out there at very young ages too. They don’t last very long in the boat, so have a back up plan. Throw rocks off the dock, etc.
Kraftd
500 Club

Unread postby Kraftd » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:49 am

I agree with everything LD said. Honestly, I think a canoe may be a little bit of a stretch for a toddler. Their attention spans are tiny and think it may end up being more frustration than anything. A pier or shoreline with good access to fast action on bluegills and sunfish is a great starting place in my opinion. I'm lucky that in my subdivision our detention ponds are loaded with bluegills and a few crappies, and there is a nice park with a playground 80 yards away so the kids can bounce back and forth as they wish. Mine are 8 and 9 now and I'd say just starting to get over the hump of longer more focused expeditions.
justin84
500 Club

Unread postby justin84 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:20 am

Definitely agree with everything that has been said. A canoe/kayak at 18-ish months could be tough or at least short lived. I took my daughter out in the kayak each summer at 2,3, and 4 and she had fun for awhile, mostly playing with the paddle, reeling in a bluegill, dragging a worm in the water, and trying to cast a handful of times. Each summer got better. If you get a fish great, but if not it probably won't matter much at this age. As long as they have fun, that's all that matters.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:37 am

Kraftd wrote:I agree with everything LD said. Honestly, I think a canoe may be a little bit of a stretch for a toddler. Their attention spans are tiny and think it may end up being more frustration than anything. A pier or shoreline with good access to fast action on bluegills and sunfish is a great starting place in my opinion. I'm lucky that in my subdivision our detention ponds are loaded with bluegills and a few crappies, and there is a nice park with a playground 80 yards away so the kids can bounce back and forth as they wish. Mine are 8 and 9 now and I'd say just starting to get over the hump of longer more focused expeditions.

I agree with Dave on the canoe. They spend a lot of time hanging over the edge even in a boat. Nothing wrong with trying it, though! Just don’t expect to be out there long. ;) he’d probably have just as much fun paddling around for a bit then fishing from shore.

Just go with the flow and you’ll all have a good time. Also, not sure how chill your wife is, but be prepared for her to constantly worry about him drowning. :lol: And speaking of that, us Dads tend not to get too concerned. “He’s got a life jacket on, he’ll be fine!” When they’re that little, sure, a life jacket keeps them on the surface but they don’t know how to keep their feet under themselves to stay up right. I have seen a life jacket designed to make them float face up fail to do so.

My buddy’s 3 year old couldn’t right himself in a little over a foot of water this summer. He had a regular life jacket. He tried to get his feet under himself but ended up pushing forward because his hands weren’t touching bottom. Could have been bad if we weren’t paying attention. You wouldn’t think it’s possible for a kid with a life jacket on to drown in 14” of water...
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:06 am

Lockdown wrote:When you pick up worms, buy a few minnows and put them in a minnow bucket and let him play. That will occupy him for a long time. Then try and hook a sunnie and let him reel it in. Bring a 5 gallon bucket so you can put your fish in there with some water. They get more enjoyment out of stuff like that than actually catching them.

I had both my kids out there at very young ages too. They don’t last very long in the boat, so have a back up plan. Throw rocks off the dock, etc.

All of this! 8-)
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:09 am

Took my year and a half old son out last weekend for his first trip on the water. we rented a job boat and electric motor on a local reservoir. he lasted for about an hour then we had to call it quits. they like to move around in the boat, good luck in a canoe
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:35 am

That's awesome! Cant put a price tag on memories.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 am

My dad and I took my 2 year old twins fishing this summer. We fished from the bank with crickets. Couldn’t imagine fishing with them in a boat. We tried one spot with no luck. Girls were getting fussy and it was a long walk. Got them some snacks in the car and tried a different spot. Left my dad and the girls in the car and made a few casts to see if I could get any action. I immediately caught a bluegill.

So we got them out of the car and walked over to the bank. I took one girl my dad took the other. I cast the bobber and cricket to where I saw some swirls. My daughter kept reeling it in and not waiting till the bobber went down. My solution was to grab the line and control the slack. I waited till the bobber went down and set the hook with the fishing line in my hand. She was already whipping the pole and trying to reel it in anyway.

I exclaimed you’ve got one reel it in. Boom she had herself a fish. I took it off the hook and let her hold it briefly and even let her sister pet it. Snapped some pics. I said ok let’s put it back in the water and was hit with a strong “NO!” I finally just said oops and dropped it back in the water.

They were cranky and it was 100 degrees and time to go home. I started singing the bye bye song. Bye bye lake, bye bye fish, bye bye crickets we’ll see you again next time! As we are singing and I’m packing up I turned just in time to see the 10 dollar Moana fishing pole get thrown in the lake. It’s my daughters signature move. I said baby we don’t get a new fishing pole every time we go fishing. I wadded off in there and got the pole and drained the muddy water out of the reel and we went home.

I wouldn’t bring but one fishing pole for the new little fisherman. Don’t think you will be able to fish with them till they are a bit older. I also don’t think I’d have tried putting ours in a boat for the first time and hope to catch fish all the same trip. Baby steps and may all the patience in the world be with you!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:28 am

Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 am

It’s worth it!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:02 pm

8-) 8-)
Thanks a lot for the ideas! I think we have a good plan and will be ten minutes from home if it doesn't work out
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”