Taking my son fishing for the first time

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Taking my son fishing for the first time

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:22 am

dan wrote:I took my Grand daughter out for her 1st try at fishing last weekend. I took her somewhere where I new she would catch fish. I made it about her ans what she wanted to do. I kept it on shore for the 1st time. I did not make her bait hooks, or remove fish and talked with her constantly answering every question she had... We let all the fish go to keep her happy... Its all about them having a fun enjoyable experiance they will want to repeat... By the time we were done she said she wanted to go again, and surprised me with saying she wants to go deer hunting

That’s what it’s all about. 8-) 8-)

My kids usually want to keep everything we catch, so I have to give them the conservation speech for the little ones ;)

The deer hunting thing is tougher, but I took both my girls when they were 3. Elli is 6 now and has went on a hunt or two each year. When we “deer hunt” we’re really just going on nature hikes and analyzing all the interesting things we find.

For the hunt itself, if they get bored I try and keep them entertained as best I can (I don’t bring an iPad as ours usually stays in the closet, I only get my phone out on occasion) and when it’s obvious that they’re over it, we leave. Doesn’t matter if it’s prime time or not, we leave and keep our happy attitude.

My Dad went with for the shotgun hunts we took them on. I told him “Dad... there’s a big difference between deer hunting, and taking my kids deer hunting. We aren’t really heading out to kill one. Our goal is to make it fun and plant the seed.”

So far so good! They both love to hunt and fish. It does get stressful. :lol: not gonna lie.

I would absolutely take your granddaughter deer hunting Dan. As long as you keep it fun, she’ll love it. We take breaks to climb trees, watch birds, or do the balance beam on fallen logs. Maybe put a pop up blind over a plot at Dave’s farm? At least that way she can move and play and you’re still hidden.

Btw Hunter Mike it sounds like you’re doing things right to me! :clap:

KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:49 am

My nephew told me a funny story the other day:

He took his 6-year old son and 2-1/2-year old daughter bank fishing for bluegills on a local pond.
He rigged the boy's rod/reel with a real hook and worms, but let the girl toss out her Disney Princess-type toy rod with a plastic toy fish to reel in.

She was good for about three casts- right up until her big brother started catching REAL panfish! Then she got upset and made her Daddy cut off the plastic toy fish and rig it for real.
First cast with a worm she caught a three-inch sunfish, and she squealed with delight while her Daddy helped her "fight" it to shore.

She was ankle-deep in the water and was reaching for the sunfish when a HUGE Northern Pike slammed it and breached halfway out of the water just inches in front of her face!
She SCREAMED in terror and ran to the car, while her Dad tried to land the pike on the toy rig but, it broke off after a brief tussle.

Now the poor kid won't get near the water! :lol:
tuff4x4

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:33 pm

All good stuff to read. :clap:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:19 pm

KRONIIK wrote:My nephew told me a funny story the other day:

He took his 6-year old son and 2-1/2-year old daughter bank fishing for bluegills on a local pond.
He rigged the boy's rod/reel with a real hook and worms, but let the girl toss out her Disney Princess-type toy rod with a plastic toy fish to reel in.

She was good for about three casts- right up until her big brother started catching REAL panfish! Then she got upset and made her Daddy cut off the plastic toy fish and rig it for real.
First cast with a worm she caught a three-inch sunfish, and she squealed with delight while her Daddy helped her "fight" it to shore.

She was ankle-deep in the water and was reaching for the sunfish when a HUGE Northern Pike slammed it and breached halfway out of the water just inches in front of her face!
She SCREAMED in terror and ran to the car, while her Dad tried to land the pike on the toy rig but, it broke off after a brief tussle.

:lol:

Poor kid. Can’t say I blame her for being freaked out.
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm

Several great role models ushering in the next generation and teaching them what it’s all about! I’m thankful that you guys share this stuff here for me to learn from when I have kids of my own! :clap:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Postby dan » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:35 am

I took my Grand daughter out for her 1st try at fishing last weekend. I took her somewhere where I new she would catch fish. I made it about her ans what she wanted to do. I kept it on shore for the 1st time. I did not make her bait hooks, or remove fish and talked with her constantly answering every question she had... We let all the fish go to keep her happy... Its all about them having a fun enjoyable experiance they will want to repeat... By the time we were done she said she wanted to go again, and surprised me with saying she wants to go deer hunting

204371313_4160522894028401_5870887101338587994_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:26 am

I could see how that would scare the bejabbers out of her. :lol:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:46 am

greenhorndave wrote:

I could see how that would scare the bejabbers out of her. :lol:

I pictured a cute curly-haired little girl with Roy Scheider's face in the movie "Jaws" at the moment when he determined that they were "...gonna need a bigger boat!"

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”