Valentine area fishing and scouting

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DhD
500 Club

Valentine area fishing and scouting

Unread postby DhD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:15 am

Spent a few days up in the Valentine area for some Pike/Muskie/Bass fishing (and a little scouting). I'm not super experienced with deer hunting, so I don't always feel like I have a lot of information to contribute. I thought I could put up a fishing report instead.

Fished Monday evening on Boardman Creek at Merritt reservoir. Through some jerkbaits, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, and swimbaits. Scenery was great but I did not catch any fish. Headed back to the cabin at dark, and enjoyed dinner by a nice campfire. Saw probably 40 mule deer in the ten mile drive back to the cabin.

Fished Tuesday morning on duck lake on the Valentine national wildlife refuge. Beautiful morning, gorgeous lake. Once again I threw the tackle box at them, had one fish hooked for a minute but couldn't finish the job. Didn't come anywhere near any other fish. Nebraska game and Parks came to put out survey nets while I was there fishing. Apparently the no-wake law on the national wildlife refuge doesn't apply to game and Parks officials. That's all I'm going to say about that.

Spent a little bit of time in the afternoon during the major period throwing big baits on the dam for muskie. After a while I got tired of getting beat up by the wind, so I drove around McKelvie national Forest for a bit to get the lay of the land. After 2 hours of looking around I headed back to Boardman Creek. Managed to catch one 1 bass and a pike that evening. The pike did not want to cooperate with having his picture taken. Headed back to the cabin for another nice meal by the fire. Pressure had changed from high the night before to low this evening. Saw zero deer on the drive back to the cabin.

Third morning got up and fished for 6 hours on Boardman Creek. Did pretty much everything I know how to do to catch fish, but nothing worked out. Had a great time, fishing (or hunting) is never really the main point when I get up that way, it's just an excuse to go up there again. The Sandhills are amazing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Re: Valentine area fishing and scouting

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:54 pm

Nice pictures!! I had plans to head that way about 3 weeks ago but cancelled at the last minute due to weather. I am now looking to head out there in June. I have some areas I picked out on the map that I want to check out.
DhD
500 Club

Re: Valentine area fishing and scouting

Unread postby DhD » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:20 pm

Pudster wrote:Nice pictures!! I had plans to head that way about 3 weeks ago but cancelled at the last minute due to weather. I am now looking to head out there in June. I have some areas I picked out on the map that I want to check out.

What part of June? I am tentatively gonna go back the 1st-4th of June. Staying at Merritt Trading Post. It's a little expensive for the quality, but the location is top notch.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”