Iraq Carp (2008)

Bow, Game, Great Lakes, Ice, Pan, Ocean/Sea, Trout
  • Advertisement

HB Store

riverrat bbq

Re: Iraq Carp (2008)

Unread postby riverrat bbq » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:20 pm

I used to run laps on antenna hill. The first night going up the main road to the top was intense. About halfway up on the right was the phalanx gun system. All of a sudden all the lights came on and it looked like it was tracking us. That will get the blood pumping.
Every once in awhile I would run the middle road around the back. I know that if the one back there every went off you would have to scrape me off the road. lol lots of memories.

crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:34 am

I always wondered what genius decided that covering a hill in the middle of a base with lit antennas was a good idea. That freaking hill was an aim point and the indirect fire impact maps proved it.

I would have loved to see that bobcat. I knew the vector control guy in our area a bit because I worked with him to get dogs off the base. He was supposed to euthanize them, but screw killing dogs for no reason. He told me he'd catch those bobcats and release them in other parts of the base to clear other animals out, but I never got to see one.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:50 am

crackehelmet wrote:I always wondered what genius decided that covering a hill in the middle of a base with lit antennas was a good idea. That freaking hill was an aim point and the indirect fire impact maps proved it.

I would have loved to see that bobcat. I knew the vector control guy in our area a bit because I worked with him to get dogs off the base. He was supposed to euthanize them, but screw killing dogs for no reason. He told me he'd catch those bobcats and release them in other parts of the base to clear other animals out, but I never got to see one.

We never killed the wild dogs but we did lay down non-lethal ammo on them... They were digging holes under along a stretch of T-barrier walls on the outskirts of Liberty which haji could use to sneak on base. It was a boring deployment so doing that made it little bit of fun.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
Hatchet Jack

Unread postby Hatchet Jack » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:44 pm

No mercy was shown to the wild dogs at Blessing. One morning walking to the DFAC i saw three get lit up at the same time. They were biting people at night over there. It was a black out camp so youd walk right up on them before theyd start growling.
Brandonkinchen
500 Club
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/brandon.kinchen.1?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Brandonkinchen » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Congrats
"The archer is the true weapon; the bow is just a long piece of wood." -Sebastien de Castell
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:41 am

Cool had no clue Iraq had carp.

How bad were the snakes in Iraq?

My uncle was in Afghanistan and said snakes were all over the place in the mountains.

He did do a tour out of jbad.

See any of the Kurtuk action that city was quite the mess from what I understand.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Cool had no clue Iraq had carp.

How bad were the snakes in Iraq?

My uncle was in Afghanistan and said snakes were all over the place in the mountains.

He did do a tour out of jbad.

See any of the Kurtuk action that city was quite the mess from what I understand.

Actually never saw a snake in Iraq. tons of spiders and some scorpions but no snakes. The guy I fished with caught some eels though.

I never really went very far from Baghdad, except when I was medevaced to Balad.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”