Well gol damn!
What a day

Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Fish On!!! Mega Muskies w/Pics

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:53 am

mheichelbech wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:My girlfriend's brother has a mid-May birthday, so this year we decided to do something a little different since he turned the big Four-0. It's also close to father's day, so we got her brother and dad a muskie fishing charter on lake St. Clair.

We went out with Captain Craig of Heatwave Fishing Charters. This was my first trip with him, and I would highly recommend him. Great captain, boat, and first mate. The guys really care about the health of the fish. The live well setup was impressive. Straight from the water, right into the live well. Unhooked in the live well. Rested for a few minutes, quick photos, live well again to freshen up, and then back to the lake. We went 5 for 5 and all fish were released to fight another day. Well run boat for sure.

Anyway, on with the pics and stories. Since it was the brother's birthday gift, we was up to bat first. The first mate had just set the second line in the water (about 5 minutes into fishing) when the first fish hooked up. A 45 1/2" 18lb'er. That set the bar pretty high right out the gate, a master angler caliber fish in the boat within 10 minutes.

My girlfriend's dad was up next. Not quite the same league as the first fish, but we were pumped to have 2 in the boat, and I was already happy with the trip, as the goal was to get them both their first muskies.

My girlfriend caught the third fish of the day and the smallest one. Again, I was pretty excited, as it was her first ever muskie as well.

Fishing was slow for a while, and about an hour and a half later, we hooked up with another one on the outside line (longest line) on the planer board. The first mate said it looked like a big fish, and it was. The drag stuck on the real and if it wasn't for the quick work of the first mate, who flipped the bail, the fish probably would have broke off, so, thanks again Gary! It took close to 10 minutes to get this one in because of all the line out and lots of instructions on reeling from the captain and first mate (I'm not very good), but I managed to get the fish boat side, and Gary (the first mate) made short work of the net job. A real monster. 50" fish and 30lbs. Pretty crazy to see something that size first hand. Needless to say, everyone on the boat was pretty excited. I'm pretty sure the captain said it was the first 50" fish of the season (which opened June 1st).

The size of the mouth... :shock:

My girlfriend closed out the trip with another dandy, a chunky 40" muskie.

It was definitely an experience, and I'd recommend Captain Craig of Heatwave to anyone who is interested in chasing some of these monsters.

Is the Muskie Fishing always that good on St. Claire? I’ve always been under the impression they were hard to catch...fish of 10,000 casts and that sort of thing...

Also does he guide for smallmouth as well?

This guy only guides walleye in the spring and muskie in the summer/fall.

Muskie fishing is best on St. Clair from mid-June through end of September from what I have heard. Later in the season (sept) is supposed to be the best for a chance at a big fish. This guy trolls for muskie, so there are no 10,000
casts, haha. Casting is a MUCH lower odds affair.

• Advertisement

Return to “Fishing chat”